Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > DIY Observatories

Old 24-01-2018, 10:20 PM
mfalzon (Maurice)

A home-made DIY 2.2m square dome -full details

Hi guys!

I thought I'd pass on this link to a blog I am constructing. I intend to detail and illustrate all the steps involved in the construction of a 2.2m square dome observatory from its conception to it's complete outfitting. I am an amateur astronomer and most of the stuff I used in the making of the dome, apart from the actual construction materials was from recycled stuff and bits and pieces I managed to scrounge. A lot of the outfitting electronics and gadgetry came from cheap Asian sources and the circuitry and software was again partly home grown or borrowed from other sources.

Time, patience and a generous helping of youtube videos and forums like this one are a must if one gets stuck but thankfully one will always find the answers if one digs deep enough.

Anyways ..here it is for any of you who want to browse..The blog should grow steadily as I add more and more information and pics and of course anyone interested is welcome to drop me a line. There is a lot of ground to cover and so it might take me a while to finish uploading it all ..but after all...hey ...it took me a year and a half to finish!

Welcome to The Raven and the Owl Observatory ... a home-made little portal to the stars...

http://ravenandowl.mfalzon.co.uk

For a taste of what it is about ...
https://youtu.be/XfHKgjrXf6o

Dark skies

Maurice from Malta(Eu.)
Old 25-01-2018, 06:07 AM
AstroApprentice (Jason)

Congrats - that’s an amazing amount of work and impressive workmanship to create a great obs. I now have a better understanding of the time and skills involved in building one - having little of either, a flat pack steel kit from Astrodomes https://astrodomes.com/services/ has suddenly increased in appeal and seems less expensive than I thought
Thanks for sharing your diy tips & tricks - they will be useful to many.
Old 25-01-2018, 03:55 PM
mfalzon (Maurice)

Glad to be of some help. There is still a fair bit of stuff I would like to upload .. Mechanizing the thing took a bit of planning and a lot of drilling 😁. ..and monitoring and maintenance of it is an ongoing task but mostly enjoyable.

Dark skies

Maurice