Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > ATM and DIY Projects

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2019, 04:19 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

I just found a scope! but missing a couple of bits - can you help? Scope to give away

Hi all,

I'm stoked that I just found another scope on the roadside beside a pile of rubbish cleaned out of a local house!

Driving home after dropping off the kids at school, and I found a Tasco 114mm 900mmfl on an eq1/eq2 mount!!! This scope was my dream scope as a 12 year old kid

It was nearly complete. Even had a modest eyepiece and red dot finder (just needed a new battery). Primary mirror needs a clean, not a big deal, and I'll put a centre spot doughnut on it. But the counterweight and bar were missing. The mount is actually in nearly new condition, and works just fine.

I would love to give away this scope. But I need the counterweight and bar. The tube cap is missing the small aperture cover too.

Might anyone have a counterweight bar to suit - the coupling to the mount is M12. And might someone have a counterweight to suit, prob 1kg?

Many thanks for looking,

Alex.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (scope find!.jpg)
150.3 KB135 views

Last edited by mental4astro; 12-03-2019 at 08:20 AM.
Old 11-03-2019, 05:40 PM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mental4astro View Post
Hi all,

I'm stoked that I just found another scope on the roadside beside a pile of rubbish cleaned out of a local house!

Driving home after dropping off the kids at school, and I found a Tasco 114mm 900mmfl on an eq1/eq2 mount!!! This scope was my dream scope as a 12 year old kid

It was nearly complete. Even had a modest eyepiece and red dot finder (just needed a new battery). Primary mirror needs a clean, not a big deal, and I'll put a centre spot doughnut on it. But the counterweight and bar were missing. The mount is actually in nearly new condition, and works just fine.

I would love to give away this scope. But I need the counterweight and bar. The tube cap is missing the small aperture cover too.

Might anyone have a counterweight bar to suit - the coupling to the mount is M12. And might someone have a counterweight to suit, prob 1kg?

Many thanks for looking,

Alex.
\
Alexander, I think I have 2 counterweights that would probably suit. I'll have a look in the shed tomorrow to see whether I also have a c/w bar. I had one, I'm sure. But these things tend to migrate a bit.
I'll let you know tomorrow and include some dimensions for the weights etc.

Peter
Old 12-03-2019, 06:22 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)

Thanks Peter

I might change things around though!

I put this scope and mount through its paces last night. Scope is just fine. The mount, while it works fine, it really is too light for this OTA. The scopes bounces too much on it and wobbles for too long after tweaking the slow mo controls.

HOWEVER! I have an EQ3 mount that I am not using and have been thinking what yo do with it. And I'm thinking of swapping changing over mounts for this OTA & getting rid of this eq2 - it really is not good for anything. This EQ3 is a much better mount for this scope. Who ends up getting this scope will be getting a much better set up now!

So Peter, I won't take you up on your most generous offer.

I also have dual axis drives for this eq3 and battery pack, but I fried the handset I also don't have a counterweight for this mount.

Anyone have an EQ3 dual axis handset kicking about or a 2kg counterweight? I'd be happy to pay for post. Maybe even a 1.25" eyepiece? I've got one I'll also add to this package, a 25mm plossl (I found this scope sporting a 20mm Kellner). Bore in counterweight is just over 20mm.

I had some trepidation about giving away this scope only because of the mount. Now, this is a ripper package!!

Alex.

Last edited by mental4astro; 12-03-2019 at 08:17 AM.
Old 12-03-2019, 10:35 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)

I've been most generously offered a 32mm & 10mm plossls and a 20mm Widefield EP and a polarizing filter Awesome
Old 12-03-2019, 10:53 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)

Anyone a short Vixen style dovetail, around 150mm 200mm? I thought I had one but alas no

Alex.

Edit: My mistake, I did have that dovetail plate - wasn't looking in the right place. Yes, migrating bits and pieces, eh Peter

Last edited by mental4astro; 12-03-2019 at 11:07 AM.
Old 13-03-2019, 07:38 PM
Wavytone

And a 5mm LV, excellent condition.
Old 13-03-2019, 08:33 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

Nice chap if I lived outside Wales I would love to help but too far to send, keep up the great work
Old 14-03-2019, 10:22 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)

Thanks Wavy and Jeremy

Looks like I've found all the bits I needed. Interestingly these bits and pieces all came from my observing buddies Thanks fellows

I've asked to have this thread closed as my request has been fulfilled.

Many thanks to all of you how have posted and PM'ed me with help.

Alex.
Closed Thread