Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 03-01-2012, 10:02 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Battery grip or AC adapter for timelapse/startrails

Hey guys, I've been enjoying doing some wide fields recently. Thinking about portability and longer power for my 5DII. One option like I had for the 40D is AC adapter off 240V or an inverter and 12V battery. Wondering about battery grips and how long 2 batteries in ther last for long exposures through the night? Which way would you recommend? BG more portable, but slightly more expensive, not sure how long batteries last, can use for other types of shooting. AC adapter, needs mains or 12V battery, less portable, cheaper, last all night, kind of tethered to the power supply.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:14 PM
Visionoz (Bill)

Troy

I've been to a camera forum before where this guy suggested getting one or two of the RC-type of LiPo battery packs (7.4V or 8.1V) and using the "dummy battery" AC/DC adapter wired to them would give you heaps of capacity to do the timelapses - I thought it was a good idea BUT as usual I couldn't find the thread!

When I do I'll post it back here!

HTH
Cheers
Bill
Old 03-01-2012, 11:09 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Hi Troy,

I purchased a Battery Eliminator that ran off main power, only 2 weeks ago i modified it to run of my lead acid batteries so i can get massive operating time on it. Mostly I modified it to run my imaging equipment completely off battery so I can remove the Inverter from my set-up.

First run with it was Last Saturday although the clouds got in the way the system worked well.

Link to original supply - http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/prod3451.htm

I purchased mine off EBay and was a bit cheaper than the original.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:50 PM
skysurfer
Dark sky rules !

Maybe this ?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AC-Power-...#ht_4421wt_983
Old 04-01-2012, 12:02 AM
naskies (Dave)

When shooting continuous long exposures on my 5DmkII, the two batteries in my grip don't last all night... maybe 6 hours or so? I almost always use the grip for ergonomic reasons - I find that it fits in my hand better and is good for balancing heavier/longer lenses.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:12 AM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Yep similar, mine is 450D but I like that one better because the one I have doesn't have an intermediatary connector in-line so I had to cut wires. The link you shown is far superior and was not available when I bought mine.

The only issue maybe the connection for the battery eliminator. I have having a few issues at the moment but I will eventually hard-wire mine internally to avoid connector wear and tear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysurfer View Post
Old 04-01-2012, 12:14 AM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by naskies View Post
When shooting continuous long exposures on my 5DmkII, the two batteries in my grip don't last all night... maybe 6 hours or so? I almost always use the grip for ergonomic reasons - I find that it fits in my hand better and is good for balancing heavier/longer lenses.
I also have double batteries as well, I had to use Canon batteries as the after-market ones do not last as long as the original and was a noticeable difference on all night shooting. As I go out occasional for maybe 2 nights it is nice to have the backup of a larger battery.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:24 AM
skysurfer
Dark sky rules !

These adapters have dummy batteries to fit into the camera and a cable with a socket into it for a 7.5 V DC source. When you don't have 220V available, you can use a block of 6 penlites. Any 7.5 source is OK as long the polarity is right.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:57 AM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Mine has AA battery holder as well but the capacity is woeful so I haven't used it since.