Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2020, 07:00 PM
jayconnor (Jay)

Comet swan location and time

Does anyone know how I can find comet swan with my polar aligned heq5pro? I'm located at Bacchus Marsh Victoria.

Thanks
Old 05-05-2020, 09:36 PM
Harpage (Danh)

You could use Stellarium to get its coordinates on the night, and manually slew to them using your mount. It’s a pretty large and bright comet so it’s not hard to miss.
Old 06-05-2020, 07:14 AM
astro744

I saw it this morning in binoculars about 25 deg high in the ENE at 4:45am. Also saw a few Eta Aquarid meteors and between at 5:25 and 5:35 the Starlink satellite train passing overhead.

Unfortunately the Moon, which this morning set around 4:45 will set later and later each morning now and will illuminate the sky although it will be in the west opposite the comet. The comet too is moving further east toward the Sun so really this morning was the last favourable viewing time. Astronomical twilight began around 5:15 this morning so it was a very short window. Tomorrow morning may be ok but a rather full but waning moon will be up although low in the opposite direction.