Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 19-08-2013, 08:05 AM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Thoughts on Light Pollution Filters and subs for OSC CCD?

Hi folks,
Has anyone had experience with LP filters for one shot colour imaging from the 'burbs? If so what would you recommend?
One other question, of course it's going to vary depending on conditions and equipment, but generally what's the ideal sub duration for AP from one's light polluted backyard?
Cheers
Andy
Old 19-08-2013, 09:11 AM
alocky (Andrew lockwood)
PI popular people's front

There's a few, such as the astronomik CLS ccd, which I have. They work well at knocking down the sodium and even some skyglow. However there is a strong blue cast to the image as a result. Some of us have yet to work out how to restore the yellow stars, and those who have figured it out choose not to tell...
To be honest, I'm not convinced they help much overall with mono CCD.
Sub duration is a function of the object, lp severity, your sensor, the f-ratio of the scope, etc. the best way is to experiment, and there are some tools in pixinsight that will give you an indication based on analysis of an image.
Cheers,
Andrew.
Old 19-08-2013, 10:22 AM
PRejto (Peter)

I can recommend the Hutech IDAS LP filter. It works quite well with a mono camera and I'm sure it would work just as well with a single shot colour as well. I say that because I use the filter in front of my filter wheel imaging all three colours through the IDAS filter. It's also mentioned quite favourably by Ron Wodaski in "The New CCD Astronomy."

I'm going to be testing the Astronomik LP filter soon, but was advised by Astronomik not to use it in front of the RGB filters.

Peter
Old 19-08-2013, 02:32 PM
BlackWidow (Mardy)
Seeing Stars

I use an astronmiks CLS filter and find it to be really good. No problems with star colour and use it with my QHY8 one shot colour. I am very happy with the results from this filter.