Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2020, 08:14 PM
TrevorW

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Pedestrian or a driver I always let a lady go first ...that was the rule I was taught to follow.
Alex

Yes, I would agree but that was it the day when ladies were taught to be ladies, which has now long past for most
Old 03-10-2020, 06:34 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorW View Post
Yes, I would agree but that was it the day when ladies were taught to be ladies, which has now long past for most
Perhaps I should have added a foot note that the context was that lady referred to a group that included women, girls ... In general the human female and the rule did not allow exclusion for any reason whatsoever and addition I was taught to realise that one should accept personal responsibility for how any situation develops if one contributes in any way and to ask how one could deescalate a situation rather than inflame it ...too make kindness your goal and arrogance your enemy.

An interesting situation in the car park. As I walked to my car a young man pulled into the spare space along side my drivers side so close to my door it would have been difficult to get in...I felt like saying something but I resisted the urge...the young man got out walked around looked at the distance between the vehicles and got back in his car to relocate it. By this time I was level with him and said please don't worry but he said no he really needed to correct the situation.
I told him he was a gentleman and he was clearly happy and I thought how in the future such praise may cement his determination to do the right thing. One can imagine a different flow of events if as he got out of the car I yelled at him calling him an idiot and incapable of parking.

I think a great deal of aggression is driven by feelings of inadequacy and I think one could well question their behaviour if they find many of their encounters with other humans is predominately confrontational and ask if tolerance and kindness may produce better outcomes and perhaps remove that need to constantly prove one self.

If you encounter someone acting badly more often they are under stress and your choice is to decide if you can add to their suffering or by some act of kindness make their day a little better.
Alex
Old 03-10-2020, 10:09 AM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
That could also be reversed to say when Men where taught to be Gentlemen,
which there aren't many of them either.
Cheers
Old 03-10-2020, 11:10 AM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Just a thought.
Would this thread even have been posted
if the Offence/Confrontation had been made by a male?
I doubt it very much
That it was a woman was thought worthy of a post.
Males probably do this offence as much as women,
but normally no confrontation/conversation would
have occurred,just a few mutterings under ones breath
or louder with the windows shut.
Just another form of road rage, but at about 5kmh.
Have a nice day and save your ulcers.
Cheers
Old 05-10-2020, 05:53 PM
TrevorW

No not really I would hope Peter wasn't being sexist. Ride a bicycle then you'd find out how confrontational motorists can be for no good reason.

I had a recent incident where an old bugger in a FWD drive parked so close to my drivers side as I was putting shopping in the back of my car, that the only way I could get into the driver seat was from the passenger side. He parked got out of his car then dashed away before I even noticed what he done. I made sure he was left a note to say what a dick he been using my car keys to write it into his paintwork, I didn't have a pen and paper handy
Old 05-10-2020, 06:34 PM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

Quote:
I had a recent incident where an old bugger in a FWD drive parked so close to my drivers sidewrite it into his paintwork, I didn't have a pen and paper handy
I swear some 4WD owners have no idea how to manage the bulk of the vehicle they're meant to be in control of.

Quote:
write it into his paintwork, I didn't have a pen and paper handy
#rekt
Old 05-10-2020, 07:35 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
No not really I would hope Peter wasn't being sexist. Ride a bicycle then you'd find out how confrontational motorists can be for no good reason.

I had a recent incident where an old bugger in a FWD drive parked so close to my drivers side as I was putting shopping in the back of my car, that the only way I could get into the driver seat was from the passenger side. He parked got out of his car then dashed away before I even noticed what he done. I made sure he was left a note to say what a dick he been using my car keys to write it into his paintwork, I didn't have a pen and paper handy
I think commiting a crime to make your point was acting rather foolishly.

Another thing I was taught was if I had a problem with anybody was to face them man to man ... Which I guess is just seen as old fashioned these days.

Further I was taught not to let little things annoy me or upset me and avoid being petty and lower myself to low standards.

And also when we are quick to judge others we can forget that we are perhaps not beyond making the odd mistake ourselves.. further many teachings include directions to respect others and always be ready to forgive...these teachings actually work as much in ones own favour as the other party because to follow those sorts of teachings leaves one less stressed.
Alex
Old 05-10-2020, 10:24 PM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

Quote:
Ride a bicycle then you'd find out how confrontational motorists can be for no good reason.
I was almost killed AGAIN yesterday by ANOTHER driver who let's say PASSIONATELY believes that cyclists don't belong on the road. Last I checked it was illegal for me to not ride on the road.

What I've learnt is to always drive defensively, ride defensively and walk extra defensively. Am I a scaredy-cat? On the race track no, But on the roads you betcha! I don't have nine lives and in my experience car vs car, both lose. Bike vs car, car wins. Pedestrian vs car, car wins again. Sometimes it's better to just swallow your pride, take a deep breath, contain any anger/road rage that wants out and be thankful that you're still breathing no matter who's right or wrong. Accidents happen and you never know but one day the shoe may be on the other foot.
Old 05-10-2020, 10:31 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

As they used to say in "Dragnet" when testimony got emotional : just the facts ma'm , just the facts. So to reiterate.

I stepped off curb, and crossed behind a stationary motor vehicle and in front of a vacant carpark space.

The vehicle did not have indicator lights or reverser lights illuminated when I did so.

I assume driver of that vehicle took offence, as they sounded the vehicle's horn, lowered the driver's window and yelled at me " are you kidding me?!" ( there may have been an adjective ahead of the word "kidding" starting with the letter "F"

Puzzled, I walked up the the driver and attempted to explain, as well as justify my actions.

After being unable to communicate with the driver in any meaningful way, I effectively called her an idiot and walked away (not wanting to inflame things further). I was not phased either way by the gender of the driver.

1) Re: Road rules
In NSW, within shared zones, pedestrians have right of way.

2) Re: Newton's laws of motion
Cars usually do better than humans after a transfer of momentum.

A general observation: while it the USA, I noted drivers would almost yield to pedestrians in shared zones. I often waved them on, but they would invariably stop and I suspect think my behaviour was bizarre and insist I cross.

My experience In Australia is car drivers dominate shared zones. Pedestrians stop and let cars go. This should not be the case, but given point 2, being right can have undesired consequences.

Last edited by Peter Ward; 06-10-2020 at 11:07 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-10-2020, 12:03 AM
Hemi

I’ve always thought....it doesn’t matter who’s right or wrong or whose right of way. IF YOU'RE DEAD!

Hemi