Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2015, 12:46 AM
Misplaced (Craig)

Well that was a good evening

I managed to get out with my telescope for this first time in a few months and managed to get it to locate using the Synscan first time using the 2 star alignment. Next time will be to get true polar alignment ready for my venture in to astrophotographers!

Also, had a great meteorite that went from approximately the N horizon to S horizon. Definitely not space junk as I've seen that before. Could it have been from the Quadrant meteor shower? I know that's in the northern hemisphere but maybe it 'wandered off course'!

Jupiter was pretty good tonight as well even with the moon being so bright. I could see 4 moons and 2 light brown bands. All in all a very good night.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:40 PM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

Hi Craig, it sounds like you had a super night .

Meteor showers originate from a certain patch of sky known as the radiant. So for a designated shower, you won't get stray ones . If you're watching a shower, and you see one travelling from a different direction, these are called sporadics. When you watch a meteor shower in progress, you can actually plot them back to their radiant.

And just a slight correction - but it's one that many get confused over. It's a meteor not a meteorite. A meteorite is one that's found on the ground. Years ago, I used to get confused with this terminology too and I found a good way of remembering is to think meteor showers (they're not called meteorite showers).

Jupiter is so much fun to observe as there's so much to see. Also fun is watching the moons transit across. Oh hey, if you haven't already done so, don't forget to take a look at comet 2014 Q2 Lovejoy. It's a beautiful object for binoculars or telescopes. But wait till Jan. 7th when the Moon rises a bit later and is out the way.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:43 PM
Ric
Support your local RFS

Hi Craig

Glad to hear you had a good night out, always very relaxing.

I had the bino's out last night, I was doing some visual viewing of star clusters. Always good to look at.

Cheers
Old 04-01-2015, 03:05 PM
Misplaced (Craig)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzy View Post
Hi Craig, it sounds like you had a super night .

Meteor showers originate from a certain patch of sky known as the radiant. So for a designated shower, you won't get stray ones . If you're watching a shower, and you see one travelling from a different direction, these are called sporadics. When you watch a meteor shower in progress, you can actually plot them back to their radiant.

And just a slight correction - but it's one that many get confused over. It's a meteor not a meteorite. A meteorite is one that's found on the ground. Years ago, I used to get confused with this terminology too and I found a good way of remembering is to think meteor showers (they're not called meteorite showers).

Jupiter is so much fun to observe as there's so much to see. Also fun is watching the moons transit across. Oh hey, if you haven't already done so, don't forget to take a look at comet 2014 Q2 Lovejoy. It's a beautiful object for binoculars or telescopes. But wait till Jan. 7th when the Moon rises a bit later and is out the way.
Thanks Suzy - I'll remember that about the meteor/meteorite!

I shall definitely have a look for the comet from the 7th. Which direction is it in? I am hoping that you are going to say the North as my house blocks any viewing to the South
Old 05-01-2015, 04:42 PM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

Actually.... the 10th is better as there's about an hour and a half gap between astronomical sunset and the Moon rising causing interference. But you should still be able to see it anyway- I had no problem with it showing in my 9x50 finder (& binos) with the nearly full moon up plus my scope was next to the house by a window with the lights on. I got lazy- it was about to rain and I took a quick moment .

It's in Orion at the moment heading towards Taurus. So you could be good to go .
Let me know how you go!
If you're on fb, check out our facebook page- I do regular updates on the comet plus any other events coming up.

http://www.iflscience.com/space/chri...en-dark-skies1
Old 05-01-2015, 07:19 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

No need to wait, it is visible tonight and really easy to find, it is very big and bright in my 15x70 binos and easy to spot in smaller gear. And having a look when the moon is there will help you appreciate more once you can look without a moon.
Easy to find. locate Saiph, its the top right and of the four stars in Rrion that form his knees and shoulders, then move past Rigel (the top left hand star) and then the same distance, then move up a little bit and there it should be (provided you have a nice wide field!).

Malcolm