Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25-12-2014, 09:56 PM
PSALM19.1 (Shaun)

measure degrees with Dob...

Hi...ok, so if for eg Neptune were 20 degrees from the moon, how do you align your Dob by angle? (I mean, I could just point the scope "a little bit higher or lower, I know that, but to actually measure it somehow...? Confusing question for Christmas Day eh?
Old 26-12-2014, 09:30 AM
Brycepj (Peter)

Hi Shaun
To measure altitude I bought a bevel box with a magnetic base.
This sits on my 10" dob. So I can tell what angle it is pointing, it is accurate to within 0.01 of a degree. Basically to start I make sure that my scope is horizontally level and zero the bevel box and bingo any movement measures the altitude. Keep in mind that this only measures "up and down" motion left and right you need setting circle. This link will give you some ideas.
www.ebay.com/bhp/digital-bevel-box
Old 26-12-2014, 10:09 AM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

There are a number of solutions to this question. A non goto dob or one without digital setting circles (eg. Argo Navis) is usually moved by star hopping. if attempting to move a number of degrees, you can use your finder. A 9x50 Finder has a field of roughly 5 degrees, so if you know what direction to move, place the moon at the edge of the field, then hop three more field until you are close. Of course to make this work you may have to learn celestial directions, moving N,S,E and W in the sky can be counterintuitive.
It is possible to use analog setting circles on a dob. The inclinometer mentioned earlier and azimuth circle on your base enable you to work out the alt as settings that apply to an object at any particular time and then point the scope. This will only work accurately if your base is obsilutely level.

Malcolm
Old 26-12-2014, 08:30 PM
PSALM19.1 (Shaun)

Awesome, thanks gents!
Old 28-12-2014, 04:07 PM
julianh72 (Julian)

If you have a smartphone, you can strap it to your telescope and use its level and compass functions to measure changes in Altitude and Azimuth. Better still, if you have an Android phone or tablet, take a look at the SkEye app, to use you phone as a Push-To guider. Highly recommended!
Old 29-12-2014, 01:33 AM
ShOrEbReAk (Troy)
Friends with Jupiter

Julian

big thankyou I think this may, I say may be better than stellarium in directional awareness. I have stellarium on Ipad and my Android phone and the program is always bugging out with directions no matter how many times it wants calibration. this seems easier to star hop with, only time will tell.

cheers
Troy