#1  
Old 11-10-2020, 12:07 PM
Peter Ward's Avatar
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Peter Ward is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The Shire
Posts: 7,138
QHY600m lite review

The run of fine weather in Sydney has given me several nights to test the new camera.
My earlier reservations have pretty much disappeared.

A very impressive camera by any measure.

Full review is here
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-10-2020, 12:48 PM
Andy01's Avatar
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Andy01 is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 2,699
An impressive beast indeed, thanks for the comprehensive and informative review Peter!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-10-2020, 01:23 PM
Peter Ward's Avatar
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Peter Ward is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The Shire
Posts: 7,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy01 View Post
An impressive beast indeed, thanks for the comprehensive and informative review Peter!
My pleasure. Also fixed the page formatting ...now readable on an ipad
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-10-2020, 07:40 PM
niharika
Registered User

niharika is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: melbourne
Posts: 213
Thank you Peter. Was an interesting and informative read. Is the included power cable long enough to route through the mount?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-10-2020, 08:31 PM
Peter Ward's Avatar
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Peter Ward is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The Shire
Posts: 7,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by niharika View Post
Thank you Peter. Was an interesting and informative read. Is the included power cable long enough to route through the mount?
The DC power cable is a two part plug and socket affair, and while long enough would likely come apart if you tried to pull it through a PMEII.

It's a simple two wire arrangement , hence making a longer section would be easy, but if you are going to that much trouble, you'd be better off wiring up a proper din aux power-in plug and saddle-out cable, which the PMEII's are pre wired for.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-10-2020, 08:41 AM
gregmc (Greg)
Registered User

gregmc is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 14
An interesting read, thanks Peter.

I have the QHY600 PH (Amateur Photographic Version)

some comments:

I only use one USB3 cable to the camera. I also use the thin QHY interconnect cable between the camera and the QHYCFW3 filter wheel (which has 7 x 50mm filters)

I also live in Sydney and also had weather issues. I've only had an initial test run which showed some vignetting issues with my SkyWatcher ESPRIT 120ED that has an M48 out which I've improved with a new adapter that plugs into the M54 of the CFW3. (so also a delay organising an adapter and getting it made)

I did a test run Sat night (10/10/20 at Terrey Hills) and have not had a chance to process them yet (or build flats & darks) but something I've noticed is the need for a bigger 12V fuse (all my leads are independantly fused from the 12v LiFePO4 battery) and that it often (maybe always but too soon to know) does not power up if I power up USB and 12v at the same time (ie. plug the 12v bat with all stuff cabled up). I fix this by repowering the 12v plug on the back of the camera which is a bit annoying.

I also note that finding the latest drivers can be an issue as they tend to number the all in one system package differently to the stand alone drivers. I now only use the all in one pack. (stable WIN version)

The installation video shows the same annoying task that I also have is having to find the firecapture directory. The video misses the other annoying task of skipping throug a dialoge box about sending an email (that does not work if you try it).

https://www.qhyccd.com/index.php?m=content&c=index&a=show& catid=94&id=55&cut=1
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-10-2020, 10:35 AM
DavidTrap's Avatar
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

DavidTrap is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 2,956
Thanks for the review Peter,

I like your suggestions about some plumbers tape around the camera fitting.

As for the filter wheel - agree, the supplied screws and washers are sub-par. I've got a set of Filter Centering Masks on the way from these guys - LINK They were recommended on a thread from Cloudy Nights - might solve your artifact problem as well.

DT
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-10-2020, 10:42 AM
Peter Ward's Avatar
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Peter Ward is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The Shire
Posts: 7,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmc View Post
An interesting read, thanks Peter.

I have the QHY600 PH (Amateur Photographic Version)

some comments:

I only use one USB3 cable to the camera. I also use the thin QHY interconnect cable between the camera and the QHYCFW3 filter wheel (which has 7 x 50mm filters)

I also live in Sydney and also had weather issues. I've only had an initial test run which showed some vignetting issues with my SkyWatcher ESPRIT 120ED that has an M48 out which I've improved with a new adapter that plugs into the M54 of the CFW3. (so also a delay organising an adapter and getting it made)

I did a test run Sat night (10/10/20 at Terrey Hills) and have not had a chance to process them yet (or build flats & darks) but something I've noticed is the need for a bigger 12V fuse (all my leads are independantly fused from the 12v LiFePO4 battery) and that it often (maybe always but too soon to know) does not power up if I power up USB and 12v at the same time (ie. plug the 12v bat with all stuff cabled up). I fix this by repowering the 12v plug on the back of the camera which is a bit annoying.

I also note that finding the latest drivers can be an issue as they tend to number the all in one system package differently to the stand alone drivers. I now only use the all in one pack. (stable WIN version)

The installation video shows the same annoying task that I also have is having to find the firecapture directory. The video misses the other annoying task of skipping throug a dialoge box about sending an email (that does not work if you try it).

https://www.qhyccd.com/index.php?m=content&c=index&a=show& catid=94&id=55&cut=1
It's comforting to hear I am not the only one struggling with QHY's documentation/distribution system.

I am not sure how you get away with one USB cable for both the Camera and auto-guider...are you not using the OAG?

In any event, I can see how a M48 adapter would cause vignetting. I'll likely ditch the QHY M54/2" nosepiece and simply go for a M54 to AP2.7" thread.

Interesting times ahead!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-10-2020, 09:02 PM
Peter Ward's Avatar
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Peter Ward is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The Shire
Posts: 7,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTrap View Post
Thanks for the review Peter,

I like your suggestions about some plumbers tape around the camera fitting.

As for the filter wheel - agree, the supplied screws and washers are sub-par. I've got a set of Filter Centering Masks on the way from these guys - LINK They were recommended on a thread from Cloudy Nights - might solve your artifact problem as well.

DT
Those filter masks are the bees knees! Will definitely order a set.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-10-2020, 10:06 PM
DavidTrap's Avatar
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

DavidTrap is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 2,956
Dunno if they work yet...

Shipping with USPS is a little uncertain at present...

DT
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 13-10-2020, 05:40 AM
gregmc (Greg)
Registered User

gregmc is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTrap View Post
Dunno if they work yet...

Shipping with USPS is a little uncertain at present...

DT
They work fine. I have the 50mm ones in my QHYCFW3
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 13-10-2020, 05:52 AM
gregmc (Greg)
Registered User

gregmc is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post

I am not sure how you get away with one USB cable for both the Camera and auto-guider...are you not using the OAG?

Interesting times ahead!
I have my QHY600M on a SkyWatcher 120ED ESPRIT refractor and don't use an OAG. I use an ASI120 on an EVOGUIDE 50ED as a guide scope.

The one cable is to the camera / filterwheel combination and one cable to the guide scope (and a USB cable is also needed for the focus setup)

Even with my earlier setup, I needed two USB cables. The ASI1600MM pro has USB3 in and 2 x USB2 out. One of those USB2 went to Filterwheel. I could not use the other USB2 for guiding as I needed USB3 for the ASI120mm on the guide scope.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 13-10-2020, 02:21 PM
gregbradley's Avatar
gregbradley
Registered User

gregbradley is online now
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sydney
Posts: 16,419
Thanks for the review. I am interested in this camera also. Perhaps in a month.

I was considering the ZWO version but QHY have a few benefits with the Photographic version that seem like they would be worth it. ZWO may be more compatible with their software though. I use an ASI183mm in the Sky X with no troubles at all.

The Cloudy Night's forums for these cameras are a great source of data.

I would also use the camera at longer focal lengths and use 2x2 as with 60mp there are plenty of pixels left to create a high resolution image.

These sensors are also quite a bit more sensitive in narrowband than CCDs.

Greg.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 13-10-2020, 03:54 PM
niharika
Registered User

niharika is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: melbourne
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
It's comforting to hear I am not the only one struggling with QHY's documentation/distribution system.

I am not sure how you get away with one USB cable for both the Camera and auto-guider...are you not using the OAG?

In any event, I can see how a M48 adapter would cause vignetting. I'll likely ditch the QHY M54/2" nosepiece and simply go for a M54 to AP2.7" thread.

Interesting times ahead!
Talking about documentation, I don't see any clear indication of whether the specified backfocus (17.5mm) is mechanical or optical(cover slip). How did you measure your back focus Peter? Will you be trying any different combination of gain settings and USB speed to see if noise for narrow band gets any better or not?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 13-10-2020, 08:14 PM
DavidTrap's Avatar
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

DavidTrap is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 2,956
Much to my surprise, the filter masks arrived today. After a bit of trimming around the lugs, they fit well. I wonder if the design of the filter wheel has changed since the manufacturer made his original design.

I also bought a set for a ZWO 31mm filter wheel and these fit perfectly, so I don't think it's a problem with the 3D printing.

DT
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 15-10-2020, 08:38 AM
Peter Ward's Avatar
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Peter Ward is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The Shire
Posts: 7,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by niharika View Post
Talking about documentation, I don't see any clear indication of whether the specified backfocus (17.5mm) is mechanical or optical(cover slip). How did you measure your back focus Peter? Will you be trying any different combination of gain settings and USB speed to see if noise for narrow band gets any better or not?
Again, I am none the wiser due the lack of clarity in the QHY documentation, but looking at the CAD diagram, then 17.5mm looks to be the mechanical back focus distance.

I have tried a number of readout modes, but the high gain mode seemed to give the optimum result with NB filters. But my level of experience using the camera not extensive, hence as I try different filters, apertures and focal lengths, that may change.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 15-10-2020, 09:31 AM
Camelopardalis's Avatar
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Camelopardalis is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 5,019
The high gain mode in these modern sensors is almost win-win.

The dynamic range is only slightly crushed but the read noise is majorly crushed

While some worry about well depth, and I get that that's because of saturating stars too quickly with a fast scope, surely it's the dynamic range that counts?

Judging correct exposure length to keep it in the sweet spot is all the more important as a result.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-11-2020, 08:03 PM
Martin Pugh
Registered User

Martin Pugh is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 1,292
Let me add a little bit to this.

both of my QHY600 cameras have had to be returned for one problem or another. According to my supplier, so many of these cameras have had to be returned that the backlog is significant. My OSC has now been away for 2 months and my mono camera even longer.

The ZWO6200 on the other hand has worked flawlessly out of the box.

Martin

Last edited by Martin Pugh; 04-11-2020 at 08:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-11-2020, 08:43 PM
AnakChan (Sean)
Registered User

AnakChan is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Perth
Posts: 182
Martin,

Can you please share what issues you had with the QHY600? I have the ASI6200MM and so far am ok with it although I've been following closely on microlensing & reflection issues. Whilst the thread started off as being ASI620MM specific, it's apparently a common problem across multiple CMOS/CCDs. Having said that, I've not seen any QHY600 samples exhibiting the microlensing/reflection issues.

Sean
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-11-2020, 08:51 PM
gregbradley's Avatar
gregbradley
Registered User

gregbradley is online now
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sydney
Posts: 16,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pugh View Post
Let me add a little bit to this.

both of my QHY600 cameras have had to be returned for one problem or another. According to my supplier, so many of these cameras have had to be returned that the backlog is significant. My OSC has now been away for 2 months and my mono camera even longer.

The ZWO6200 on the other hand has worked flawlessly out of the box.

Martin
That's a bit of a worry. What are the problems with the 2 cameras?

Greg.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time is now 05:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.7 | Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertisement
Bintel
Advertisement
Testar
Advertisement
Limpet Controller
Advertisement
NexDome Observatories
Advertisement
Astronomy and Electronics Centre
Advertisement