Old 22-02-2019, 05:24 PM
Ant0nio (Tony)
Quid Clarius Astris

Markarians Chain

I'm fascinated with this arrangement of galaxies which looks like it's been bowled towards us underarm style from the depths of space & I've wanted to image it ever since I learnt of it's existence less than a year ago (I'm only about 18 mths into this adventure). This is 52mins of exposure in total of fairly ordinary data using an FLT98 & SBIG ST 8300C, guiding with PHD, acquired with Nebulosity & processed with Startools. Thanks for looking & comments/suggestions are welcome as always.
Clear skies,
Tony
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Markarians Chain 10x420_1x600  Startools  copy 2.jpg)
197.6 KB85 views
Old 22-02-2019, 05:34 PM
Anth10 (Anthony M)
When its late stay awake

Antonio, you’ve got a rippa image going here. I can see why you were hell bent on capturing it, it’s a real treat to see so many galaxies in the one frame and you’ve managed to frame it perfectly I recon. Nice smooth processing skills with the faint stuff showing up very well. You have a winner setup by the looks and for someone just starting as such, well you have really got things together. Well done!!!

I’m heading up to Cooroy to visit relo’s this April, it’s a nice part of the country up where you live, all the best with your Astro imaging,

Anth
Old 22-02-2019, 06:28 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Tony,

Lovely puc mate

I too find Markarian's Chain fascinating. BIG/long chain. Visually something special too as the chain is within range of smaller apertures too. In big apertures, Oh Lordy! soooo many blooming galaxies litter the fiueld of view it's almost difficult to trace the chain.

I too have it on my to do list. Not with photography but sketching. Big A3 sheet and my 17.5" scope. Pieces of this size actually require a bit of planning. And that's half the fun too

Alex.
Old 22-02-2019, 11:13 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

A great choice of target and perfectly executed. To see all those in one frame. One could spend a lot of time looking at this collection.
Old 22-02-2019, 11:18 PM
casstony

Definitely one to put on the list of things to try - looks spectacular.
Old 22-02-2019, 11:23 PM
Ant0nio (Tony)
Quid Clarius Astris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfish View Post
A great choice of target and perfectly executed. To see all those in one frame. One could spend a lot of time looking at this collection.
Thank you for for your kind words Ray, there are so many Galaxies in the North end of the sky at the moment it's just bonkers. I think I read somewhere that in the group framed in this image there are over 200, it's fun trying to find them all but I suspect I might need better data for that
Cheers,
Tony
Old 22-02-2019, 11:34 PM
Ant0nio (Tony)
Quid Clarius Astris

Quote:
Originally Posted by casstony View Post
Definitely one to put on the list of things to try - looks spectacular.
Thanks Tony, it is certainly worth doing although a trip to a dark sight would do it justice. I struggle a bit with the neighbors sensor activated security lights but we work with what we've got I guess.
Cheers,
Tony
Old 23-02-2019, 02:15 AM
Ant0nio (Tony)
Quid Clarius Astris

Quote:
Originally Posted by mental4astro View Post
Tony,

Lovely puc mate

I too find Markarian's Chain fascinating. BIG/long chain. Visually something special too as the chain is within range of smaller apertures too. In big apertures, Oh Lordy! soooo many blooming galaxies litter the fiueld of view it's almost difficult to trace the chain.

I too have it on my to do list. Not with photography but sketching. Big A3 sheet and my 17.5" scope. Pieces of this size actually require a bit of planning. And that's half the fun too

Alex.
Thanks Alex, it certainly is quite a sight visually especially through some like your 17.5" & sketching it would definitely be a mission, I admire your patience & talent in that area.
Cheers,
Tony
Old 23-02-2019, 02:23 AM
Ant0nio (Tony)
Quid Clarius Astris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth10 View Post
Antonio, you’ve got a rippa image going here. I can see why you were hell bent on capturing it, it’s a real treat to see so many galaxies in the one frame and you’ve managed to frame it perfectly I recon. Nice smooth processing skills with the faint stuff showing up very well. You have a winner setup by the looks and for someone just starting as such, well you have really got things together. Well done!!!

I’m heading up to Cooroy to visit relo’s this April, it’s a nice part of the country up where you live, all the best with your Astro imaging,

Anth
Thanks Anth, I'm glad you like it, there's so many galaxies up there at the moment it's hard to know where to start. I hope you enjoy your trip up here in April, it should be decent weather by then. cheers,
Tony
Old 23-02-2019, 08:54 AM
RyanJones

Wow Tony . What a great feild. So many galaxies . Great capture
Old 23-02-2019, 08:59 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Hmmm, me thinks Markarian's Chain is a dead ringer for a larger aperture mosaic project... hmmm

Anyone game?
Old 25-02-2019, 09:13 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

Cant tell, is the final galaxy a Heads or a Tails Beautiful shot!