Old 29-03-2020, 04:32 PM
Mickoid (Michael)

Ngc 3576

I took some guided triband filtered shots last night and added it to my previous uv/ir cut filtered shots taken a couple of nights ago. Seeing wasn't good last night but the cloud stayed away long enough for me to collect nearly 1 hour of data.

I think I may give up on this from Bortle 6 skies, and try something easier from the backyard. Its a struggle to get a good position from home as I'm restricted by trees, so this is the result of less than 80 minutes of integration.
The sacrifices we make for being in isolation.

Modded Canon 550d dslr using an 8 inch f5 Newtonian on a HEQ5pro mount. Processed with DSS and PS.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Ngc3576_Final.jpg)
219.6 KB65 views
Old 29-03-2020, 10:23 PM
Ant0nio (Tony)
Quid Clarius Astris

It's a pleasing image none the less Mick. I achieved a similar result with 2hrs of data from my Bortle 5 location & decided to leave it at that also.
Which Tri band filter are you using?
Cheers,
Tony
Old 30-03-2020, 04:59 PM
Mickoid (Michael)

Thanks Tony, it's a Lumicon filter that transmits Ha, Hb and OIII. Mostly Ha by the looks of things, some sort Deep Sky filter.

By the way, it looks like my advice to post your shot in the Deep Space section is showing how tough it is to get a comment if you're a newbie.
Old 30-03-2020, 06:03 PM
Ant0nio (Tony)
Quid Clarius Astris

Yep, they stayed away in droves.
Old 30-03-2020, 09:22 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Mick
That’s a really nice image , love the star field
I take my hat off to you for sticking an 8” f5 newt on a HEQ5 and getting such a great image with round stars
The HEQ5 has a recommended AP payload of around 9 kg ( max rating of 13kg )
I’ve weighed my 8” f5 newt with DSLR imaging camera , dovetail bars , guide scope , guide camera , heater bands , cables and so on , and my weighs in at around 14kg which sits on a EQ6-R mount ( recommended AP payload rating 14kg and max rating of 22kg )

Your balance must be spot on and tight guiding as well
How long were your exposures and your ISO setting ?
I assume windy nights are a bother for you ?

Well done !!
Martin
Old 30-03-2020, 10:30 PM
Mickoid (Michael)

Thanks Martin. Yeah, she was pretty well all over the place with all the gear I need for autoguiding. I know it overloads the mount by having the heavy guide scope and DSLR hanging out the side which makes it hard to balance. What I do now is manually point the scope in the direction of the object I'll be photographing and get the balance right for that position. I then swing it back to home, which is way off balance but the clutches hold it where it needs to be while I do my star alignment and GOTO settings.

Once it slews to the object, in theory it should sit there nice and happy in it's balanced position. Crude but it works. I got fairly good guiding in bad seeing enabling me to take 3 minute subs at 800 iso with the Deep Sky filter. Not bad for a focal length of 1000 mm sitting on the lawn! No wind that night which helped.

Last edited by Mickoid; 31-03-2020 at 07:41 AM.