Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Terrestrial Photography

Old 07-05-2012, 12:38 AM
gregbradley

Nikon D800E first images

I got the camera on friday which was a long wait from the preorder placed when the camera was first released back in Feb.

Well like a kid with a new toy I set out to do a photographic shoot.

Locations were the fabulous Mt Tomah Botanic Gardens and Mt Wilson in NSW in the Blue Mountains west of Sydney and not that far from where I live.

The camera is nothing short of amazing and it is clearly the most advanced imaging machine I have ever had.

Super sharp right out of the camera, colours sensational, autofocus a dream, LCD display crystal clear and vivid accurate colours, lightweight,
and packed full of features to have me studying the manual for weeks to come!

Simple and intuitive to use though. I found apart from a few major layout differences to my Canon 20 and 40D it was quite straight forward. In some ways better than the Canon layout and in others not but probably just a matter of getting used to the different layout approaches. Both Canon and Nikon in my opinion do a very good job of laying out the controls and the menus.

The Nikon lenses I have are proving to be super as well.

Here are 2 of the first images I have processed (a bit of learning curve using the supplied Nikon software (view NX2) but its actually very very good software - I like it).

http://www.pbase.com/gregbradley/image/143115850

http://www.pbase.com/gregbradley/image/143125357

I have taken quite a few photos but haven't had the chance to process them.

I also intend doing some cityscape photography tomorrow and I will be sure to include a few targets that are likely to display moire.

This camera exceeds my expectations and has revitalised my interest in terrestial photography.

Greg.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:30 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Very nice! looking forward to more from the new toy!
Old 07-05-2012, 09:10 AM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman View Post
Very nice! looking forward to more from the new toy!
Cheers Mike.

Its my first full frame DSLR. I loved my 40D and still have it and its still a great camera. But technology moves on.

Greg.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:59 AM
naskies (Dave)

Great job. It's quite scary to think that only a few months ago, to get the same resolution in a single shot you would've had to use a medium format camera at 10x the price!
Old 07-05-2012, 11:16 AM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by naskies View Post
Great job. It's quite scary to think that only a few months ago, to get the same resolution in a single shot you would've had to use a medium format camera at 10x the price!
Yes exactly.

I have seen 2 comparisons now between D800E and Hassalblad 40mp and now Phase One IQ180 and a Leica S2.

Believe it or not the comparisons are quite close in performance with a slight edge to the Hassy and even less edge to the Phase One.

Both Medium format cameras have less dynamic range (D800E is superb in shadows and I have seen that already in the few images I have processed) and bomb out in ISO's above about 1000 or less.

When you factor in video, time lapse, HDR functions, ability to shoot in DX mode effectively creating an zoom on your primes, dual card memory, advanced autofocus, advanced tracking autofocus (can recognise and lock onto up to 8 faces in a scene), better LCD display, lighter weight, more accessories and not to mention 1/10th the price its a no brainer.
The D800E becomes the better choice. But for specific studio type shots the small gains from MF may be worth it - certainly from a PR perspective if you paid a pro and he is using a prosumer DSLR it may not impress them much!

I would not have shares in these medium format camera companies at the moment.

A lot of Pros will be seriously reconsidering $50 setup or $9 (D800E and a couple of Zeiss lenses).

From here it would seem the DSLR market either continues to pack in more mp in the same sized 35mm sensors or they start making larger sensors.

Making larger sensors implies new lenses, more engineering work on mounts, prisms etc and that would throw their costs off big time with new production plants. So perhaps we are not there yet. But its on the horizon you would think.

Greg.