ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13-01-2015, 09:18 AM
Brycepj (Peter)

Fire ball last night

Hi everyone
Last night after a good viewing session I was packing my scope away and I was looking at the false cross and southern cross when I saw this really bright object at first I thought low flying plane but it was too bright for that and left a long tail ,this was at about 1050pm it started in the east and travelled in a southerly direction to about SSE before disappearing. At about an attitude of 30* It looked similar to a large meteor streak. A work colleague also told me that he saw a similar "shooting star" over the weekend.
Did anyone else see this last night?
Is there any particular web site that tracks space debris entering our atmosphere,it was very impressive to see?
Old 13-01-2015, 09:31 AM
gaa_ian (Ian)
1300 THESKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brycepj View Post
Hi everyone
Last night after a good viewing session I was packing my scope away and I was looking at the false cross and southern cross when I saw this really bright object at first I thought low flying plane but it was too bright for that and left a long tail ,this was at about 1050pm it started in the east and travelled in a southerly direction to about SSE before disappearing. At about an attitude of 30* It looked similar to a large meteor streak. A work colleague also told me that he saw a similar "shooting star" over the weekend.
Did anyone else see this last night?
Is there any particular web site that tracks space debris entering our atmosphere,it was very impressive to see?
I would suggest you download the App to your smart phone "fire balls in the sky"
http://www.fireballsinthesky.com.au/it is a research project from curtain university that triangulates observations and in some cases has been used to recover meteorite fragments
Old 13-01-2015, 09:53 AM
Brycepj (Peter)

Thanks Ian will do.