Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25-01-2015, 11:53 AM
Renato1 (Renato)

The Problem with Laser Pointers is....

..... as I discovered last night, yes people are very impressed with Jupiter, the Great Nebula, the Eta Carina nebula etc - but they seem to be even more impressed with the $5 laser pointer I was using to point out major stars and where those nebula were.
Cheers,
Renato
Old 25-01-2015, 12:16 PM
CJ (Chris)

I had exactly the same experience last night with a mate of mine!
Old 25-01-2015, 01:13 PM
gaa_ian (Ian)
1300 THESKY

Yep, I have done Dozens of obs nights with the Laser and the same is true !
It goes something like this : Look here is Saturn see the rings ....OK, but tell me about the laser pointer, can I get one ?
I have several and most are the $10 Bali variety (they work fine)
In the NT there were no specific laws against them.
How about in other states ?
Do you still have to show that you are a member of an Astronomy club to have one (IE: a legitimate reason for using one)
Old 25-01-2015, 01:50 PM
glend (Glen)

The problem with laser pointers is they can ruin imaging. There is nothing more frustrating than to have some inconsiderate wave a laser pointer around your field of view when people are trying to do an imaging run. They have no place at star parties for exactly that reason.
Old 25-01-2015, 08:10 PM
Renato1 (Renato)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ View Post
I had exactly the same experience last night with a mate of mine!
Yes, you now now the feeling. I'd heard of this happening with school kids, but was surprised with adults.
Cheers,
Renato
Old 25-01-2015, 08:11 PM
Renato1 (Renato)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaa_ian View Post
Yep, I have done Dozens of obs nights with the Laser and the same is true !
It goes something like this : Look here is Saturn see the rings ....OK, but tell me about the laser pointer, can I get one ?
I have several and most are the $10 Bali variety (they work fine)
Do you still have to show that you are a member of an Astronomy club to have one (IE: a legitimate reason for using one)
No restriction on 1mW lasers, different restrictions on more powerful lasers in different states.
Cheers,
Renato
Old 25-01-2015, 10:20 PM
doppler (Rick)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaa_ian View Post
In QLD < 1 mw not restricted, < 10mw legal for firearm licence holders and < 20mw for profesional use and for members of a registered astonomical club / association for astronomy use. The max fine in QLD is 100 penalty points, which is $1000 + victims of crime levy, so a $35 a year club membership is good insurance if you want to use one in a public place.

Rick

Last edited by doppler; 26-01-2015 at 07:28 PM. Reason: fix typo
Old 27-01-2015, 06:16 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Don't dare use them from my backyard. We're directly under the flight path 'handbrake turn' point for incoming flights from Australia. I have about 6-10 flights per night crossing overhead still pretty high up but you can hear the engine note change and first flaps go down as they start final descent and 180* turn for eastern approach.
I'd have every police chopper and probably the armed offenders squad round if I started using a laser pointer to find my way round the sky.
Old 27-01-2015, 10:02 PM
Renato1 (Renato)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
The problem with laser pointers is they can ruin imaging. There is nothing more frustrating than to have some inconsiderate wave a laser pointer around your field of view when people are trying to do an imaging run. They have no place at star parties for exactly that reason.
Laser pointers are great for showing beginners what's where.
Are there that many beginners at Star Parties to actually warrant anyone using a laser to show them the basics?
Regards,
Renato
Old 27-01-2015, 10:43 PM
Eden (Brett)
Registered Rambler

Can anyone provide any information on the legal restrictions for laser pointers in Vic and NSW? For example, max. allowed mW rating etc?

Cheers
Old 27-01-2015, 11:00 PM
Steffen
Ebotec Alpeht Sicamb

For NSW: http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/service...laser_pointers

The salient part is the 5th paragraph, and the link contained therein.

Cheers
Steffen.
Old 27-01-2015, 11:19 PM
doppler (Rick)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroID View Post
Don't dare use them from my backyard. We're directly under the flight path 'handbrake turn' point for incoming flights from Australia. I have about 6-10 flights per night crossing overhead still pretty high up but you can hear the engine note change and first flaps go down as they start final descent and 180* turn for eastern approach.
I'd have every police chopper and probably the armed offenders squad round if I started using a laser pointer to find my way round the sky.
The beam from a laser is only about 1mm thick and is difficult to see from the side view after only a few meters so unless you actually target a plane they would not see it. Low powered lasers are useless with large groups as only those standing next to the source can see the beam.
Old 27-01-2015, 11:40 PM
gaa_ian (Ian)
1300 THESKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppler View Post
In QLD < 1 mw not restricted, < 10mw legal for firearm licence holders and < 20mw for profesional use and for members of a registered astonomical club / association for astronomy use. The max fine in QLD is 100 penalty points, which is $1000 + victims of crime levy, so a $35 a year club membership is good insurance if you want to use one in a public place.

Rick
Thanks for the update rick.
That is useful as it is only the 5 to 20 mw lasers that are worthwhile really !
Cheers
Ian
Old 28-01-2015, 01:55 AM
Eden (Brett)
Registered Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffen View Post
For NSW: http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/service...laser_pointers

The salient part is the 5th paragraph, and the link contained therein.

Cheers
Steffen.
Thanks for providing that useful link, Steffen.

It's interesting to note that they do not specify an upper limit to the power level, only that a permit is required for > 1mW (approved astronomical organization member excluded). However, I've heard anecdotal reports that it can be difficult getting anything > 5mW through customs.

I've never tried, but would like to purchase a pointer of reasonable power level for astronomy use. Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Cheers
Old 28-01-2015, 11:01 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

My understanding is that green lasers over 1mW are prohibited imports without a licence, so if found in packages coming from overseas they can be seized and you can be prosecuted. It is a separate issue to the legality of their use, so even if you have a legitimate use, they can still be confiscated at the border.

Malcolm
Old 29-01-2015, 09:56 PM
doppler (Rick)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden View Post
Thanks for providing that useful link, Steffen.

It's interesting to note that they do not specify an upper limit to the power level, only that a permit is required for > 1mW (approved astronomical organization member excluded). However, I've heard anecdotal reports that it can be difficult getting anything > 5mW through customs.

I've never tried, but would like to purchase a pointer of reasonable power level for astronomy use. Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Cheers

If you want to want to bypass the legal red tape, it is legal in Australia to import laser parts, just not laser pointers over 1 mw. If you order the laser modules in one order and the housings in a completely separate order you will have no problems with customs. Once you assemble the parts you are governed by your state laws.

http://stores.ebay.com/Techhood
Old 29-01-2015, 10:29 PM
creeksky (Pete)

Would one help attached to a finder scope for accuracy, or would a red dot finder scope suffice?
If I used one to the east it may be seen by aircraft coming into the Gold coast.
Though I am 80ks west of the aircraft.
Old 29-01-2015, 10:41 PM
Jemmo (Adrian)

Does anyone have a link as where to buy these green ones? I have a right angle sight and find it tricky to locate objects.
Old 29-01-2015, 10:41 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksky View Post
Would one help attached to a finder scope for accuracy, or would a red dot finder scope suffice?
If I used one to the east it may be seen by aircraft coming into the Gold coast.
Though I am 80ks west of the aircraft.
Pete
I have used a laser, a telrad and a cheapo red dot finder and personally I find the red dot the easiest to use. Of course I am only using it to align on a bright star and then star hopping or setting up the 2 star alignment on an Argo Navis sytem (in that case I only have to use it at the very beginning of the night)
They are lightweight, work even when it gets cold (lasers often cease working when temp drop below about 5deg and so need to be connect up to dew heaters) the batteries last forever and are very easy to use.

Malcolm
Old 30-01-2015, 08:05 AM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Quote:
Originally Posted by barx1963 View Post
I have used a laser, a telrad and a cheapo red dot finder and personally I find the red dot the easiest to use. Malcolm
I have had exactly the same experience, Malcolm. For me the perfect solution is the RDF to get in the general area, and then a right angled 9x50 finder (with cross hairs) to get spot on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemmo View Post
Does anyone have a link as where to buy these green ones? I have a right angle sight and find it tricky to locate objects.
As there are (or were) little or no restrictions in Qld., I ordered a <20mw hand held from Sirius Optics. They also sell them set up as finders. >$100. (NOTE: not legal for general use in most states)
Edit: Quick check of their website indicates that these are no longer listed for sale here
also
<1mw from ebay for under $10 (apparently legal and just as good to use)

But please use responsibly.

NOTE: IISAC2014 Light Use Policy
Quote:
Originally Posted by IISAC2014 Light Use Policy
Green laser pointers may be used until 10pm. After this time, please be respectful and don’t use them. This will be enforced! Please do not allow children to use them as toys, as they can be dangerous if pointed in someone’s eyes!

Last edited by Allan_L; 30-01-2015 at 08:39 AM. Reason: update