Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2020, 01:26 PM
RB (Andrew)

Lest We Forget

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them."

LEST WE FORGET
Old 11-11-2020, 03:13 PM
pfitzgerald (Paul)

We will remember them.
Old 11-11-2020, 07:50 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Thanks for the post RB.

Lest we forget.

Dennis
Old 11-11-2020, 10:12 PM
Rainmaker (Matt)
Strictly Visual......

Lest we forget......
Old 11-11-2020, 10:16 PM
Anth10 (Anthony M)
When its late stay awake

https://www.theage.com.au/national/v...29-p569se.html

Sacred and reflective day always.

The above is an interesting article which involves my senior uni lecturer in the early 90’s.
Frank is a clever man with a sharp mind and this event marks his skill in surveying and used for a memorable moment in our calendar.

Lest we forget.
Anth
Old 12-11-2020, 09:17 AM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth10 View Post
https://www.theage.com.au/national/v...29-p569se.html

Sacred and reflective day always.

The above is an interesting article which involves my senior uni lecturer in the early 90’s.
Frank is a clever man with a sharp mind and this event marks his skill in surveying and used for a memorable moment in our calendar.

Lest we forget.
Anth
Thank you so much for the link Anth.
That was a good read.

Old 12-11-2020, 09:50 AM
Sconesbie (Scott)

I wrote this one a few years ago:

It’s a bit wordy but stick with it.

Written as a letter to my Grandad (who left us on Remembrance Day in the 70's) and how a reply probably could have been written back from him.

What Are The Medals For?

Dear Grandad, this letter I write though you are not here, is to ask you a question and to help make it clear. For you had left our world before I was a boy, so we did not meet and share in the joy. For I have now grown and the years have gone fast, I now have the time to wonder of your past.

Your words are not spoken but written in text, here on your records to which you attest. The 20th May, the year 1940, saw you sign up with others and it wasn't for glory.

It says you were single and shows your address. A young man, truck driver, a man of good health. Your photo is attached, in duplicate pictured. Your front and your side is perfectly captured.

You were allocated a number for service at war. NX15940 is yours, to show who you are. Reading further along I see all the history, of places you've been and the things of a mystery.

Please though Grandad, there remains just one question. About the medals that show and it is worth a mention. I continue to read and my mind it still wonders. About what you were thinking as you headed off yonder.

The Middle East, New Guinea and Borneo were areas you served. But was nothing like home with what you observed. Although neatly written in cursive and ink, the records on file, aren't all that clear and this makes me think while; the one thing I found were the medals that issued, doesn't really tell me how they were viewed.

As I started this letter again I must ask, what are the medals for, what was the task?

Dear Grandad I know the war was not fun. For you or for anyone, was it really won? The memories would be etched in your mind once forever. And now we can't talk, I write you this letter.

A letter in the future to ask of the past. To hopefully have some answers and help make them last. My question at the start was to ask so I know. What are the medals for. For who and why?

Dear Grandad, please help me. Take care and goodbye.

Dear Grandson, I must thank you, your letter I read. Though I am not there, I must say I'm pleased. That you've taken the time to ask me these things, to honour our names and what that does mean.

I know you have grown and the years have gone fast, but please don't forget and remember the past. Thank you for reading my records attest. This was the first step in the one big true test.

Of May in the year, it was 1940. Me and many others swore we would serve our small country. For we were young but agile and fit. Our people had asked us to help out a bit. We were all placed on boats and sailed away. To places afar, to places astray.

Some people were happy and others were sad. For me I had a home, to me that wasn't so bad. So my dear Grandson you do ask about the medals. Just wait there one moment and I'll tell you, just settle.

We fought in those places, we fought in those wars. To secure our homes as we fought for the cause. Was it right at the time, no ones just knows. But we did as we were told, we couldn't say no.

The service number you mention it still remains with me. Written forever, in the records you see. To you my young Grandson, the years have long past. You are here after me, to remember, to last.

The medals are six, and were issued to me, are items of my service, just a memory. But to you my Grandson the medals do say, that they were issued and maybe one day, you will all look back and give thanks to the past. And discover what you have now and do listen, do laugh.

Our country has freedom, it has happiness and homes. It has families and friends and all that you know. Please listen my Grandson as I will answer you now. The medals you ask, just what they are for and where they do go.

They are for you and your family to remember me by. To think of the past as time it goes by. To look right ahead and instead of behind.

So keep marching on my Grandson. Take care and goodbye.
Old 12-11-2020, 09:57 AM
Sconesbie (Scott)

And this one:

When I’m alone, I think quite a lot. About how we made it here and what we have got. I think of the times when I was a boy. I think of the sadness and I think of the joy.

I often stare at nothing, looking up to the sky. My thoughts back to the early days...how come...and why. The men and the women, who were given no choice. Were called by a number, their birthdate, no voice.

Some of them who went lied of their age. To serve their home country, without any rage. They may not have know what they were to see.
Until they got over there, eyes opened up, oh no, dear me.

My grandad went over, as I have written before. Many like him, young, ready for battle, ready for war. They were of an age here in their homes, where life was quite nice. Working hard earning a living, everything ok, everything all right.

When I’m alone I think quite a lot. About what I’d do now if asked to take a spot. I don’t think I would, knowing what I do now, these ladies and men sure had the nerve. When they come home, they’re not the people they were.

I look at my nephew, who has not long turned twenty just gone. A lad, a young man and in the future, one we will depend on. Back then it was men and women just of that age. Who went to war and develop the courage, for us to turn the page.

So when I’m alone, I think quite a lot. About how we made it here and what we have got. I think about those people that went overseas in the past and the present. Who are on the look out for their country with a job not so pleasant.

We have a great country, we have a great land. We have all the things we need, we have people who lend a hand. So next time on remembrance or any other day of the year. Take the time to think like I do, and remind yourself how you are here.
Old 12-11-2020, 12:50 PM
JA

The greatest of resect to those that suffer, suffered and perished. They gave their lives for others.

JA