Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions

Old 28-07-2020, 05:13 PM
roberto84 (Robert)

Eyepieces / Diagonal for Meade LX90 12”

Hi all
I now have about 50 internet tabs open…so need some help.
I have a Meade LX90 12” SCT, that I bought maybe 8-9 years ago. Used it quite a bit when I got it with just the standard 1.25 diagonal and the basic Meade 4000 Super Plossl Eyepiece kit (6.4mm, 9.7mm, 12.4mm, 15mm, 26mm, 32mm and a 40mm, a 2X Barlow and a bunch of filters I have never really touched).

I have not used the scope in maybe 4-5 years due to family life, but am now starting to get back into it. I do not do any astrophotography, just basic observations.

It is easy to get overwhelmed with different eyepieces/diagonals. Looking for suggestions for decent eyepieces to get for the 12” LX90 and a decent 2" Diagonal?

Was looking at the Meade Series 5000 2” diagonal, which has an adapter for an SCT, that I don’t think a lot of the other 2” diagonals have. How important is a good diagonal for the whole setup? Is the Bintel 2” Star Diagonal any good? It is a good price and looks like it screws straight onto the back of a SCT with no need for an adapter.

Am resigned to the fact that more money usually means better optics…and don’t mind spending the money if it improves the view / makes a decent difference.

Looking for a decent 7-10mm EP for planets and a decent 20-25mm EP for most other viewing. Liking the look of the Explore Scientific 82degree range….

Thanks for any help.
Old 28-07-2020, 05:52 PM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

BINTEL (GSO) dielectric diagonals are very good & excellent value for money.

Having had one with the SCT screw on adapter on a Meade 8" LX90, I actually recommend getting a 2" visual back & then a diagonal with the 2" nosepiece that slips into it...

I found the screw on diagonal to be a PITA just quietly, requiring several goes at getting it tight & in the right position.. whereas, screw on a 2" visual back & then just slip in the diagonal & tighten the thumb screws.. far easier...

As to eyepieces... how much do you want to spend? There are plenty of 'budget' or less expensive eyepieces that deliver great views...

Cheers
Old 28-07-2020, 06:31 PM
roberto84 (Robert)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outcast View Post
BINTEL (GSO) dielectric diagonals are very good & excellent value for money.

Having had one with the SCT screw on adapter on a Meade 8" LX90, I actually recommend getting a 2" visual back & then a diagonal with the 2" nosepiece that slips into it...

I found the screw on diagonal to be a PITA just quietly, requiring several goes at getting it tight & in the right position.. whereas, screw on a 2" visual back & then just slip in the diagonal & tighten the thumb screws.. far easier...

As to eyepieces... how much do you want to spend? There are plenty of 'budget' or less expensive eyepieces that deliver great views...

Cheers
Thanks for the advice re the visual back...trying to find places online with all the parts is the other trick. That also increases the choices of 2" diagonals...

I dont mind spending for quality for a big bump in quality. Although I am sure they will be better than the bog standard entry level stuff I am using now. My aim is to slowly build up my eyepeices if I decide to go the expensive route. Spend the money and get what you want even if it takes ages.

As mentioned would be looking at a few of those explore scientific eyepieces. Looking at the 8.5mm (LER) and either the 24mm or 30mm.

Does anyone know if the Meade UWA or MWA are decent, dont see much of them in the Aussie online shops. Heard mixed reviews of the MWA, but that was a few years ago.
Old 28-07-2020, 06:52 PM
JDMAstro

Robert, I own a Meade 12 inch LX 90 and use only for basic observations. I purchased a 2 Inch Bintel diagonal four years ago. Fits straight in. Works very well.

Previously with the 1.25 inch diagonal I used multiple eyepieces. Now I own only two: Nagler Type 5 31mm and ES 20mm 100 degree.

Coupled with these I use a Televue 2x Powermate.

Excellent optics, min fuss.

Jonathan.
Old 28-07-2020, 07:08 PM
roberto84 (Robert)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMAstro View Post
Robert, I own a Meade 12 inch LX 90 and use only for basic observations. I purchased a 2 Inch Bintel diagonal four years ago. Fits straight in. Works very well.

Previously with the 1.25 inch diagonal I used multiple eyepieces. Now I own only two: Nagler Type 5 31mm and ES 20mm 100 degree.

Coupled with these I use a Televue 2x Powermate.

Excellent optics, min fuss.

Jonathan.
I am sure the optics on those eyepieces would be second to none
Probably a bit more than I would like to spend at the moment. Maybe looking in the $300-$600 a pop price range.

Good to know you think that Bintel 2" diagonal is good enough for those eyepeices.
Just to confirm is it this one you have?
https://www.bintel.com.au/product/bi...v=322b26af01d5

Do you find any issues with clearance with the 2" eyepieces when the scope if pointing at the zenith?
Old 28-07-2020, 07:16 PM
iborg (Philip)

Hi

I have an 8" LX90 and use a 2" diagonal with standard 2" nose piece which I slip into a Baader Click lock adapter. The adapter is left screwed onto the SCT thread and I just add the diagonal when wanted.

I expect there are other similar things from different makers.

https://www.baader-planetarium.com/e...ce-clamps.html

Philip
Old 28-07-2020, 07:21 PM
roberto84 (Robert)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iborg View Post
Hi

I have an 8" LX90 and use a 2" diagonal with standard 2" nose piece which I slip into a Baader Click lock adapter. The adapter is left screwed onto the SCT thread and I just add the diagonal when wanted.

I expect there are other similar things from different makers.

Philip
I do like the look of the Baader gear, but could not see those clicklocks for the Meade in any Aussie stores. Saw a youtube vid of them and look nice.
Old 29-07-2020, 05:35 PM
roberto84 (Robert)

Does anyone have any experience with the Orion Lanthanum range? My local store seems to stock them and not the Explore Scientific, or Tele Vues.

Do they compare well to those mentioned above?
Like supporting the local if they are worth the price. They certainly in the same ball park, but cannot see anything at all on them online/youtube.

edit - found some reviews, having a read.

Last edited by roberto84; 29-07-2020 at 05:56 PM.
Old 29-07-2020, 06:23 PM
Outcast (Carlton)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberto84 View Post

Does anyone know if the Meade UWA or MWA are decent, dont see much of them in the Aussie online shops. Heard mixed reviews of the MWA, but that was a few years ago.
I have a set of Meade UWA, 20mm, 14mm, 8.8mm & 6.7mm they are superb in my opinion, including in my F5, 12" Dob. 14mm is a little soft though in comparison... The reason you can't find them in Australia is they aren't made anymore & the ones you can find overseas will simply be 'remaining' stock..

The ES, 82 degree FOV range are effectively the same EP, I have a 30mm version & again, superb.. the views are exceptionally expansive. Be aware though, these long FL, widefield EPs are exceptionally heavy... The ES I have weighs one kilogram & the Meade 20mm is not far shy of 1kg.

Can't comment on the MWA's, haven't tried them...

FWIW, I also have Vixen LVW's (22/17/13mm) which are exceptionally sharp across the field & the clarity is fantastic.. again, not made anymore, you will need to look for them secondhand.

My short focal length EPs are Vixen SLV's.. these can still be purchased new.. I love them, every bit as good as the Kokusai Kohki Fujiyama Orthoscopics I used to own with much more forgiving eye relief..

I'm sure TVs are wonderful eyepieces, I'm just not convinced they are necessarily 3 or 4 times as good... as their 3 - 4 x price tag suggests they should be...

My two cents...
Old 29-07-2020, 06:27 PM
Outcast (Carlton)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberto84 View Post
Thanks for the advice re the visual back...trying to find places online with all the parts is the other trick. That also increases the choices of 2" diagonals...
https://www.bintel.com.au/product/bi...v=322b26af01d5

https://www.ozscopes.com.au/baader-2...25-thread.html
Old 29-07-2020, 06:41 PM
roberto84 (Robert)

Quote:
I have a set of Meade UWA, 20mm, 14mm, 8.8mm & 6.7mm they are superb in my opinion, including in my F5, 12" Dob. 14mm is a little soft though in comparison... The reason you can't find them in Australia is they aren't made anymore & the ones you can find overseas will simply be 'remaining' stock..

The ES, 82 degree FOV range are effectively the same EP, I have a 30mm version & again, superb.. the views are exceptionally expansive. Be aware though, these long FL, widefield EPs are exceptionally heavy... The ES I have weighs one kilogram & the Meade 20mm is not far shy of 1kg.

Can't comment on the MWA's, haven't tried them...

FWIW, I also have Vixen LVW's (22/17/13mm) which are exceptionally sharp across the field & the clarity is fantastic.. again, not made anymore, you will need to look for them secondhand.

My short focal length EPs are Vixen SLV's.. these can still be purchased new.. I love them, every bit as good as the Kokusai Kohki Fujiyama Orthoscopics I used to own with much more forgiving eye relief..

I'm sure TVs are wonderful eyepieces, I'm just not convinced they are necessarily 3 or 4 times as good... as their 3 - 4 x price tag suggests they should be...

My two cents...
Cheers, super helpful. Trying to find all the bits and bobs I am after at the same shop might not be the best way. Looks like for the diagonal and visual back online shops are the way to go.

For eyepieces trying to find out what the Orion Lanthanum are like as my local shop seems to stock them. Otherwise the Explore Scientific look like a winner.
Old 29-07-2020, 09:19 PM
Outcast (Carlton)

A little closer to home for you...

http://www.sirius-optics.com.au/tele...er-female.html

http://www.astroanarchy.com.au/Acces...k_2956233.html

http://www.astroanarchy.com.au/Acces...k_2956220.html
Old 01-08-2020, 01:37 PM
roberto84 (Robert)

Will get the Bintel Star Diagonal that connect straight to the back with no adapter needed.
What are the differences between a Dielectric mirror or a Quartz diagonal?
Old 01-08-2020, 03:20 PM
astro744

They both have a dielectric coating one on quartz glass, the other likely BK7 (I couldn’t see where it is stated). The quartz is more thermally stable but that’s not to say the non-quartz is unstable and the difference may not even be perceived. If you want to rule out any thermal instability get the quartz.

BINTEL will give you some good advice if buying from them.
Old 05-08-2020, 10:10 AM
roberto84 (Robert)

Ok, me again.
Bintel do not have those diagonals in stock till sometime next month.

So looking at the Baader clicklock 2" clamp, that go on the back of the scope.
http://www.astroanarchy.com.au/Acces...k_2956233.html
or
https://www.ozscopes.com.au/baader-2...25-thread.html

Do they go on the back and replace the bigger thread (marked in blue) as opposed to using the same thread that the 1.25" diagonals also uses (marked in orange).

Assuming the part I marked in blue is the 3.25" thread? I removed that ring marked in blue in the second pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (telescope stuff1.jpg)
31.6 KB21 views
Click for full-size image (big ring removed.jpeg)
72.3 KB20 views
Old 05-08-2020, 10:23 AM
Outcast (Carlton)

The link you have from Ozscopes says "Designed for Large SCTs with 3.25" Thread"

How wide is the larger opening at the rear of your SCT?
Old 05-08-2020, 10:34 AM
roberto84 (Robert)

Quote:
The link you have from Ozscopes says "Designed for Large SCTs with 3.25" Thread"

How wide is the larger opening at the rear of your SCT?
Yep, looks pretty much 3.25" / 8.25cm (tape measure could be in a better position)

I assume they are the same item in both links

Link more more details as not much info at all in the Astro Anarchy site.

I read the bigger visual back can increase the optical path, which may be advantageous with bigger 2" eyepieces, not so much with 1.25" ep.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (image0 (3).jpeg)
74.9 KB21 views
Old 07-08-2020, 02:50 PM
roberto84 (Robert)

Picked up the 3.25" Baader click-lock visual back, as well as a Diagonal.

Went to Astro Anarchy, very happy with the friendly service. Sorted me straight out even with a 1.25" eyepiece adapter that the diagonal did not have included.

Although Baader have the diagonal/click-lock marketed as a Celestron attachment fits the Meade LX90 perfectly.

Something to note for people buying the 2" Baader diagonals to be aware of there is no 2" to 1.25" adapter included.

Now for eyepieces.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (image0 (4).jpeg)
55.1 KB21 views
Click for full-size image (image1.jpeg)
43.3 KB22 views
Old 10-08-2020, 07:53 PM
roberto84 (Robert)

Just ordered two Explore Scientific eyepieces. Both in the 82 degree range, the 14mm and the 30mm, will be a while before I can increase my collection, hope they are good.

Eyepieces arrived on Thursday, had a quick peep through them at Jupiter/Saturn and a few DSOs in my light polluted / windy backyard. Very impressive.

Everyone in Brisbane can thank me for the bad weather / storms we've had since Thursday, with the arrival of new telescope equipment.

Last edited by roberto84; 15-08-2020 at 12:04 PM.