Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 12-06-2017, 11:03 AM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBlow View Post
I'll probably be doing the saddle update immediately after purchasing the mount. Also I'm not interested in encoders, so that wont be an issue for me.

I saw the Skytee for sale on eBay, he is asking $800, Andrews Comm is selling them brand new for $500 including the tripod.
Joe are you sure the one on the Andrews website us a SkyTee2? I can see one in the Skywatcher section of the website but the photo looks like the Giant Alt-Az mount shown here:

http://www.365astronomy.com/Giant-Al...el-Tripod.html

The Giant has less capacity than the SkyTee2, no counterweight bar but i guess you could stick a Vixen Bar holder on the other side. Check the specs.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:05 AM
Wavytone

Glen

http://www.365astronomy.com/Giant-Al...el-Tripod.html

is the same as the one I had 10 years ago. They are surprisingly steady (I had my first Mak on one). Has been sold under various names including SkyTee, though there is another (different) with same name...

Joe, One reason I didn't like it is that the dovetail base is secured to the alt axis with three tiny grub screws that engage a groove machined in the inner boss on the end of the shaft. All the parts are bog-standard aluminium, i.e. quite soft - and there is a high risk the grub screws will strip if you over-tighten them, or worse, they will rip out without any warning if the mount is overloaded with a scope that is too heavy - with the scope landing on the ground.

The second reason I parted with mine is that there is simply no effective adjustment to align the two dovetails if you're using this as a side-by-side setup, and you will have to shim one dovetail just to get them close. to parallel.

IMHO these are really only suitable for scopes up to a 4" f/7 refractor.

I was always worried that my 7" Mak was too heavy at 10kg and I would guess your 10" will strain it even more.

If the crucial parts holding the base on the shaft had been steel or better with much larger screws I'd have been a lot more confident. It's a great shame because otherwise this mount really is incredibly steady and great for grab & go use on a short trip.

Last edited by Wavytone; 12-06-2017 at 11:17 AM.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:09 PM
JoeBlow

I spoke to Andrews Comm last week and confirmed it was the new Skytee 2 he is selling for $499 inc tripod. The photo he has on the website is incorrect. Ive seen photos of people using some heavy scopes on the Skytee 2. The scope I'm looking at using is about 13kg.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:29 PM
netwolf

Joe was not aware Andrews sold the skytee2 as the photos are of the old unit.
Note the motors mod that the person did on U.K. Forums is something I have tried to contact him about without success. They key thing is that using the eq5 foto kit you will not be able to do alt/az mode I have tried this. Hence the chap made a wedge to use the skytee2 as an equatorial mount. But then you essentially have an azeq5 without the az.

The eq5 go to kit has a mc board that tells the hbx that it's an eq mc board and so no option to override, unless you can get az mc board from Dobsonian kit.

For capacity with the mods for saddles the skytee2 is a good mount if as you say it's 499 that's. good buy.