Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > DIY Observatories

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Old 12-08-2016, 05:33 PM
Tony_ (Tony)

Heat insulation

I've noticed in a few pictures that a lot of people use insulation in their observatories/sheds.
What type of insulation do you use and how do you attach it? I might be able to figure something out ... but if I can get some tips that would be good.

Regards,
Tony.
Old 12-08-2016, 05:46 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

I'm adding some insulation to the roof of my shed tomorrow. As I only needed 2.25m2 I was reluctant to purchase a large roll so I'm going to try car windscreen shades. I've purchased the silver bubble type from supercheap. I'm going to attach four pine battons to the underside of the roof with about 20mm standoff and then attach the silver panels to the pine with a staple gun. I've got a roll of Ametalin silver tape to join the panels and seal the side edges. Will be interesting to see if it makes any difference.
Old 13-08-2016, 03:40 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

Here's how mine turned http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...4&postcount=42
Old 13-08-2016, 09:29 PM
Tony_ (Tony)

Thanks Peter - looks good.
I wonder how much difference insulation makes in a shed?

Tony.
Old 14-08-2016, 04:37 PM
rogerg (Roger)

In the enclosed half of my observatory it has 40mm gold bats between the outside corrugated colourbond and inside hardiflex.

In the enclosed half, many years later, I added Bradford Anticon between the roof struts and the corrugated colourbond (had to remove all the colourbond). Highly recommend this option, has worked very well.

I have intentionally not insulated the walls of the open half as they are largely shaded and radiate heat out very effectively.

Regards,
Roger.
Old 14-08-2016, 08:20 PM
issdaol (Phil)

Walls and Ceilings of mine are covered in Insulation.

It is retained by iron mesh and fixed in at the edges.

Makes a huge very noticeable difference in both summer and winter conditions compared to external ambient temperatures.

For the few hundred dollars extra it costs for the material it is well worth it.

Will try to post a couple of pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_1574.jpg)
88.8 KB114 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_1567.jpg)
79.1 KB105 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_1569.jpg)
76.1 KB110 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_0389.jpg)
110.6 KB123 views
Old 19-08-2016, 02:10 PM
Shiraz (Ray)

did the same sort of thing as Phil. definitely worthwhile - makes a huge difference. I also have an aircon to get the temperature down before imaging in summer.
Old 20-08-2016, 09:52 AM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

Looking at the difference between inside and outside temp for the shed pre and post roof insulation I think my project reduced the differential temperature about 4 degrees C. I might look at doing the exposed north and east walls also.
Old 20-08-2016, 12:17 PM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

What's the benefit of insulating an obs? Will that not just result in longer cool down times?
Old 20-08-2016, 04:03 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

No
Old 24-08-2016, 09:17 AM
Shano592 (Shane)

If the temperature doesn't get up there in the first place, it would be a quicker cool-down, once opened.
Old 24-08-2016, 06:54 PM
issdaol (Phil)

Sounds like you may have not had much experience with a fully insulated colourbond shed or observatory.

Sure there are advantages to building off the ground with a wooden floor same as there are opposing advantages to building on slab. Similarly with disadvantages of both.

Regarding wall insulation it works...it reduces heat radiating into the internal space in the first place. It may help retain some heat which is helpful in colder conditions but this is easily controlled.

And a solar exhaust vent can be put on a colourbond shed just as easily as any other shed.

But I can bet my shed is much stronger and will last much longer in the same conditions ;-)

Also one objective of any structure containing sensitive equipment is to minimise overall continuous environmental fluctuations........less materials wear and degradation.
Old 24-08-2016, 07:27 PM
Kunama

Quote:
Originally Posted by issdaol View Post
Walls and Ceilings of mine are covered in Insulation.

It is retained by iron mesh and fixed in at the edges.

Makes a huge very noticeable difference in both summer and winter conditions compared to external ambient temperatures.

For the few hundred dollars extra it costs for the material it is well worth it.

Will try to post a couple of pictures
Having seen this obsy firsthand I will definitely be doing similar insulation if I ever build an obs. Sure keeps the heat out thus preventing the slab absorbing too much heat during the day.....
Old 25-08-2016, 06:34 AM
Spookyer (Brett)
Brett P

I used the ametalin from Bunnings. Sandwiched it in between the roof battens and roof sheets. Can't feel any heat coming through it during the day but they real test will be in summer.
Old 21-12-2016, 04:10 PM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

To sisalate or not to sisalate, that is the question?

Colourbond walls. Is it worth putting a layer directly behind wall panels? I'm going to put earth wool between that and an internal ply covering. Any thoughts?

Rom
Old 21-12-2016, 04:24 PM
rogerg (Roger)

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_draco View Post
To sisalate or not to sisalate, that is the question?

Colourbond walls. Is it worth putting a layer directly behind wall panels? I'm going to put earth wool between that and an internal ply covering. Any thoughts?

Rom
Depending on how much direct sun your walls get it might be a waste of money. I have my north wall well insulated but east and west are completely uninsulated. They get a few hours of sun each day early and late. The temperature inside barely gets above ambient outside. It's the insulation of the roof that makes the most difference I have found.

Regards,
Roger.
Old 21-12-2016, 06:38 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

I've done the North and East facing walls with
http://www.knaufinsulation.com.au/pr...xps-insulation

This seems to have worked quite well. The west wall is shaded by trees and the fence so no point insulating that.
Old 21-12-2016, 06:44 PM
PeterM

Silver Ormonoid paint from Bunnings on a metal roof. Prior to painting you can fry an egg during midday Sun, after painting is cool to touch.
"When applied to roofing, can reduce the surface
temperature by up to 10C keeping you cooler in summer."
https://www.bunnings.com.au/ormonoid...hield_p0964814
http://www.pscoop.com.au/newweb/msds...lvershield.pdf

Last edited by PeterM; 22-12-2016 at 03:22 PM.
Old 22-12-2016, 02:04 PM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

Thanks for the replies,
I have a roll of sisalation "spare" and I may use it if for nothing more than an added dust barrier. My site is South facing at a higher altitude. North is shaded by a 100m escarpment to about 60 degree so that's a big help. I'll pursue the roof side of it with a vengeance and see how I go. Warm room is a different kettle of fish though and I expect to effectively thermally isolate it from the outside. Bugger of a job but I'd rather get it right before panelling.
Old 22-12-2016, 05:13 PM
gregbradley

I used aircell insulation. Bunnings sells a variety of it. its under the colorbond roof and behind the colorbond walls. It does not retain heat.

The other day it was stinking hot and I thought I would see what it was like inside. I was pleased to find it was cooler inside than outside. I was going to put a whirlybird on the roof as well but that may make it hotter if the outside air was hotter than the inside air.

Its easy to lay as it comes in a roll. Well worth it. No fibreglass so no question about the fibres safety.

Greg.