Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Observational and Visual Astronomy

Old 15-04-2017, 03:10 PM
AEAJR (Ed)

Cool Best Jupiter Observations ever using the Baader Hyperion Zoom

4-15-17 - 10:20 to 11:45 pm* Seeing 4/5.* Trans variable between 2/5 and 3/5.
GSO 2" 2X barlow, Baader Hyperion 8-24 zoom, Celestron 8-24 Zoom, ES 82 6.7 mm, Meade UWA 5.5 and HD60 4.5
Filters - 25% moon, Orion Skyglow, 82A
** .****************O***************** **** ​.
Tonight was about Jupiter and really testing out the used*Baader Hyperion Clickstop Zoom 8-24 that I picked up about a*month ago.****It was a great night to do this.
I had my GSO 2X 2" barlow in the scope and had the best images of Jupiter with the Hyperion between 12mm and 10 mm, or between 6 mm/200X and**5 mm equivalent/240X.* I did take it to 8 mm/4mm equiv for 300X and, while the image showed no more detail it wasn't that bad.* I was impressed.
I compared it to the Celestron zoom in the same GSO barlow.* Results were similar but the image in the Hyperion was clearly better and wider and sharper to the edges.* The Celestron image suffered more after reaching 10mm/5 mm in the barlow.* But if I did not have the Baader* the Celestron would have gotten more time.
I compared the Baader Zoom*to my Meade 82 5.5 mm/218X with no barlow.* Quite good but not significantly better than the Hyperion Zoom in the barlow at a similar FL.
I compared it to my ES 82 6.7/179X.** This image was very good but at less magnification and again the zoom compared very well.
I tried my Mead HD60 4.5/266X but was not pleased with the image.* This eyepiece is not up to the others I was testing.
I spent most of the observation with the Hyperion.** At times I had a very sharp image for 2-3 seconds at a time and I could adjust slightly shorter, slightly longer to optimize the image.
I can see that this zoom will become my new favorite eyepiece in my XT8i.
I could see the GRS in the top band ( in my Newtonian) about 1/4 of the planet from the right.* By time I was ending the GRS was about center planet.* I was also able to see some detail in the main cloud bands.* And there was well defined shading with variations toward the poles.*** I have never seen this level of detail before in any scope.
This was absolutely my best observation session on Jupiter.*
The Baader Zoom is now my favorite eyepiece, at least for the XT8i
Old 15-04-2017, 05:14 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Nice report Ed .
I too have as one of my scopes an ETX125 , which is nice optically.I mostly use for viewing binaries ..easy to put in car for travelling etc ...How does the Baader go in it ..is 8mm stop too much power on average nights in the etx?
Old 15-04-2017, 06:48 PM
croweater (Richard)
Don't Panic!

G'day Ed, I too was viewing Jupiter with my Baaaer zoom barlowed 2x. I also found about 200x was optimum. Very pleasing sharp views. I compared this with my 13mm T6 barlowed (about 190x) and both very sharp. Maybe Nagler had a slightly "creamy yellower" tinge. Nagler was slightly sharper at edges and wider view but I was pretty impressed at how good the Baader is. Thanks for the report Ed, Cheers Richard
Old 15-04-2017, 06:54 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by croweater View Post
G'day Ed, I too was viewing Jupiter with my Baaaer zoom barlowed 2x. I also found about 200x was optimum. Very pleasing sharp views. I compared this with my 13mm T6 barlowed (about 190x) and both very sharp. Maybe Nagler had a slightly "creamy yellower" tinge. Nagler was slightly sharper at edges and wider view but I was pretty impressed at how good the Baader is. Thanks for the report Ed, Cheers Richard
Thanks for this info Richard. As I've heard its a cracker of a Zoom, and there soo useful for judging the proper mag for the seeing!!

bigjoe.
Old 16-04-2017, 03:14 AM
AEAJR (Ed)

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
Nice report Ed .
I too have as one of my scopes an ETX125 , which is nice optically.I mostly use for viewing binaries ..easy to put in car for travelling etc ...How does the Baader go in it ..is 8mm stop too much power on average nights in the etx?
I used it once in the ETX 125. I was observing Jupiter and that night the seeing was not as good but I think 8 mm is worthwhile in that scope in general. I have also used the Celestron Zoom in that scope with good results.

FWIW

Some people, like me, love zoom eyepieces. Some not so much. Of course it depends what level of product you have tested. Since I have two zooms, a Celestron and a Baader Hyperion (recently acquired) I thought I would turn this into a product report. Note that, as a 2 year newbie, I don’t claim to have the discerning eye that many of you have so take that into account.

When I purchased the Celestron Zoom I was working with Kellners, Plossls and some lower end 60 degree, under $100 new eyepieces. These were for use in my Orion XT8i and my ETX 80. The Celestron zoom met all of my expectations and has been my main eyepiece for over a year, even though I have a full range of eyepieces spanning from 38 mm to 4.5 mm.

However, I have read so many outstanding reports on the Baader Hyperion Zoom that I had been watching for one used. Picked one up recently for $135. It is an original, not the recent Mark III or the current Mark IV, but it was in almost new condition and works flawlessly.

I filed a Jupiter observation report, above, where I discuss my comparisons to my other other eyepieces including ES 82s and Meade Series 5000 UWA and HD60.

Having picked it up used for US $135 I feel very good about the purchase. Not sure if I would have spent the US $280 for the new one BUT now that I know how good it is, if I had seen it in someone else's scope I might have purchased it new.

I see it this way, if you tend to purchase eyepieces under $100 new, as I had been, then the Celestron will work great for you. Right in that performance range. No regrets buying it and I will continue to use it.

If you tend to buy eyepieces In the "above $100" range, as I have become, this could be a very worthwhile investment as one eyepiece to replace 3 or 4 other eyepieces in this price range. And it barlowed beautifully.

If you are in the Tele Vue buyer category, I will let others share their opinions but overall they are very very good. The first is a review. The other three are discussions about the Mark III or the current Mark IV models.
http://www.weasner.com/co/Reviews/20...ece/index.html

The new Mark IV model sells for US $280 and is receiving high praise. Agena Astro has a package with the new Mark IV model and a Baader Hyperion 2.25X barlow that they say are matched. I have not used the Baader barlow. http://agenaastro.com/baader-hyperio...w-2454827.html

I am definitely hooked on zooms. The Baader Hyperion will be pretty much be my main eyepiece now for the XT8i. The Celestron will continue to be used in my ETX scopes because the older Hyperion blocks the locking screws and I can't lock it in. This means I have to use two hands to work the zoom which I can do but prefer not to and the Celestron is fine in these other scopes. The newer Mark IV is physically narrower and supposedly has addressed this issue. It is also reported to be lighter and work better in binoviewers.

Consider this my highest endorsement for this eyepiece, even if mine is one of the originals, not the current model.
Old 17-04-2017, 12:10 AM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEAJR View Post
I used it once in the ETX 125. I was observing Jupiter and that night the seeing was not as good but I think 8 mm is worthwhile in that scope in general. I have also used the Celestron Zoom in that scope with good results.

FWIW

Some people, like me, love zoom eyepieces. Some not so much. Of course it depends what level of product you have tested. Since I have two zooms, a Celestron and a Baader Hyperion (recently acquired) I thought I would turn this into a product report. Note that, as a 2 year newbie, I don’t claim to have the discerning eye that many of you have so take that into account.

When I purchased the Celestron Zoom I was working with Kellners, Plossls and some lower end 60 degree, under $100 new eyepieces. These were for use in my Orion XT8i and my ETX 80. The Celestron zoom met all of my expectations and has been my main eyepiece for over a year, even though I have a full range of eyepieces spanning from 38 mm to 4.5 mm.

However, I have read so many outstanding reports on the Baader Hyperion Zoom that I had been watching for one used. Picked one up recently for $135. It is an original, not the recent Mark III or the current Mark IV, but it was in almost new condition and works flawlessly.

I filed a Jupiter observation report, above, where I discuss my comparisons to my other other eyepieces including ES 82s and Meade Series 5000 UWA and HD60.

Having picked it up used for US $135 I feel very good about the purchase. Not sure if I would have spent the US $280 for the new one BUT now that I know how good it is, if I had seen it in someone else's scope I might have purchased it new.

I see it this way, if you tend to purchase eyepieces under $100 new, as I had been, then the Celestron will work great for you. Right in that performance range. No regrets buying it and I will continue to use it.

If you tend to buy eyepieces In the "above $100" range, as I have become, this could be a very worthwhile investment as one eyepiece to replace 3 or 4 other eyepieces in this price range. And it barlowed beautifully.

If you are in the Tele Vue buyer category, I will let others share their opinions but overall they are very very good. The first is a review. The other three are discussions about the Mark III or the current Mark IV models.
http://www.weasner.com/co/Reviews/20...ece/index.html

The new Mark IV model sells for US $280 and is receiving high praise. Agena Astro has a package with the new Mark IV model and a Baader Hyperion 2.25X barlow that they say are matched. I have not used the Baader barlow. http://agenaastro.com/baader-hyperio...w-2454827.html

I am definitely hooked on zooms. The Baader Hyperion will be pretty much be my main eyepiece now for the XT8i. The Celestron will continue to be used in my ETX scopes because the older Hyperion blocks the locking screws and I can't lock it in. This means I have to use two hands to work the zoom which I can do but prefer not to and the Celestron is fine in these other scopes. The newer Mark IV is physically narrower and supposedly has addressed this issue. It is also reported to be lighter and work better in binoviewers.

Consider this my highest endorsement for this eyepiece, even if mine is one of the originals, not the current model.
Thanks Ed .
Loved the Mike Weasner review on this Baader Zoom.. It certainly does get some praise ..even by Eddgie on Cloudy Nights ; so I'll definitely put this on my purchase list to replace an old Meade Zoom which itself was very good.

These Zooms really do come in handy for double star observing..there a must in fact for gauging the seeing before using fixed focal lengths

I easily split Izar in the ETX125 (handy scope even though I have other types) recently in reasonable seeing with only a GSO BINTEL 9MM PLOSSL (underrated for sure) so can't wait to give it and others a go with this Zoom ..barlowed and unbarlowed.
PS: Even though I mostly use Televue ..if its good , its good regardless of brand
Cheers and thanks bigjoe.
Old 19-04-2017, 12:37 AM
Waxing_Gibbous (Peter)
Grumpy Old Man-Child

Nice report. Thanks.
I have recently had a chance to compare the two Celestron zooms. One is an OTS 8-24mm the other is the 8-24 that came with my 'Regal' spotting scope.
I've been testing them in my 4" / f8 refractor and a borrowed 8" / f5 Newt.
The 'spotter' is a noticeably better eyepiece in either scope. Sharper, better contrast and with less scatter. On Jupiter the spotter zoom also had a slightly warmer tone and showed some festoons and clearly delineated banding. Colours were also better rendered and where the OTS zoom showed noticeable CA, the spotter showed little or none.
I've not seen this EP for sale separately from the scope, but it would be interesting to see it up against the Baaders.
Now if someone would get it together and produce say a 10-30ish zoom, I'd be dead happy.
Thanks again for a great report.
Peter
Old 19-04-2017, 01:19 AM
AEAJR (Ed)

Celestron OTS 8-24? I have not see that OTS designation but I am in the USA so that may be a local thing.
Old 19-04-2017, 03:50 AM
Waxing_Gibbous (Peter)
Grumpy Old Man-Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEAJR View Post
Celestron OTS 8-24? I have not see that OTS designation but I am in the USA so that may be a local thing.
Sorry mate. To my small brain OTS is an abbreviation for Off The Shelf.
That is the stuff that's available from catalogues, online or high street shops etc.