Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > ATM and DIY Projects

Old 11-02-2017, 06:22 PM
Kunama

Just a quick update to this thread.....

The tripod modifications have transformed the setup. The leg extensions are now just for levelling. Vibrations caused by hitting the OTA are damped quickly. Focusing does not induce visible vibrations.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:17 PM
issdaol (Phil)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunama View Post
Just a quick update to this thread.....

The tripod modifications have transformed the setup. The leg extensions are now just for levelling. Vibrations caused by hitting the OTA are damped quickly. Focusing does not induce visible vibrations.
Can attest to this.......

Major difference to the tripod and mount...anyone owning this mount and tripod should do this ASAP !!
Old 11-02-2017, 10:56 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Well I have a HEQ5 and an EQ6 tripod, neither of which are the stiffest hehe
Maybe I'll replace both of them with nice wooden Berlebach
Old 02-03-2017, 10:50 AM
casstony

Hi Matt, is it difficult to separate the tubing from the tripod fittings? I'm thinking of doing this tripod mod and leaving the CGEM (which I just bought from Ian) set up semi permanently with a Telegizmo 365 cover.

I had in mind to make a heavy duty wooden tripod in lieu of a pier, but your mod might be simpler. I'd leave the lower fittings off and just the stainless legs would be exposed to the weather.
Old 02-03-2017, 01:37 PM
Kunama

Hello Tony,
the cheap Chinese stainless tube is actually slightly smaller outside diameter than the replacements. The tubes are each held in place with just the 4 grub screws, undo those and you can wriggle them out.

To install the new tubes I did have to use a small grinding wheel to clean up the castings which weren't perfectly round. All in all it took me an hour to get it done.
Old 02-03-2017, 02:46 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
Well I have a HEQ5 and an EQ6 tripod, neither of which are the stiffest hehe
Maybe I'll replace both of them with nice wooden Berlebach
Import the Berlebach from Teleskop Express directly and save a lot!!! When I got my Planet it worked out $240 cheaper than locally and that included UPS to my door. That's not insignificant savings.
Old 02-03-2017, 02:51 PM
casstony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunama View Post
To install the new tubes I did have to use a small grinding wheel to clean up the castings which weren't perfectly round. .
Thanks Matt. By grinding wheel do you mean a grinding stone attached to a drill or some other grinding tool? I'm thinking a stone would fill with aluminium.
Old 02-03-2017, 03:52 PM
Kunama

I used a 45mm diameter x 15mm thick stone on my drill, worked well, being cast aluminium it doesn't clog like other AL would.
Old 02-03-2017, 04:18 PM
casstony

Very good, off to the shops then. I see they have the same tubing you used on ebay for $25/m. They also have 1.5 inch tubing which might be useful for the HEQ5 tripods.
Old 29-03-2017, 11:49 AM
casstony

So I tried enlarging one of the tripod castings to fit the new stainless tubes but gave up as it seemed to take forever and it's not great for the drill - just refitted the original legs.

However, after buying a digital caliper and measuring the tubes I've found that the new tubes are out of round. One dimension is the same as the original tubes (~50.8) while measuring perpendicular to the pipe weld measures 51.3mm. So I'm going to use the bench grinder to take the 'wide sides' off the tubes and try again, the next time the mount is off the tripod.
Old 29-03-2017, 05:33 PM
Kunama

Quote:
Originally Posted by casstony View Post
So I tried enlarging one of the tripod castings to fit the new stainless tubes but gave up as it seemed to take forever and it's not great for the drill - just refitted the original legs.

However, after buying a digital caliper and measuring the tubes I've found that the new tubes are out of round. One dimension is the same as the original tubes (~50.8) while measuring perpendicular to the pipe weld measures 51.3mm. So I'm going to use the bench grinder to take the 'wide sides' off the tubes and try again, the next time the mount is off the tripod.
That's odd Tony, my tubes were round but the castings on the Synta tripod were out of round so a little bit of grinding of the 'sockets' sorted it. You could squeeze the tube a little in a vice
Old 30-03-2017, 07:14 PM
casstony

Softly, softly approach wasn't working so I cut a slot along the tube with the angle grinder and tapped the legs in. It's going to be out in the weather anyway so I'm not fussy about the finish. Now I need to find some sort of clamps to put on the lower legs for levelling. I'll save the original legs so they can be refitted if needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_0596.JPG)
163.6 KB33 views
Old 08-04-2017, 06:25 PM
casstony

I ended adding different length sections to each leg to make the tripod level. I used roofing silicone to glue the joints together and put a rivet in each joint. It's a solid and weather resistant tripod.
In hindsight it would have been easier to buy 1.3m lengths and cut each leg to size rather than do the join; stainless steel is a bit hard on the tools.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_0597.JPG)
197.6 KB53 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_0598.JPG)
155.4 KB42 views
Old 08-04-2017, 07:53 PM
Kunama

Quote:
Originally Posted by casstony View Post
I ended adding different length sections to each leg to make the tripod level. I used roofing silicone to glue the joints together and put a rivet in each joint. It's a solid and weather resistant tripod.
In hindsight it would have been easier to buy 1.3m lengths and cut each leg to size rather than do the join; stainless steel is a bit hard on the tools.

Beautiful finish Tony. Like the handrail caps