Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > DIY Observatories

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.50 average.
Old 23-12-2016, 04:35 PM
spiezzy

Just A Thought on the Pod Observatory

Hello to all and Merry Xmas when it finally comes
Ok I have a Sky Shed Pod Observatory and love it to death but on hot days it gets quite hot in side I have installed a solar exhaust fan and a couple of vents which let the air flow threw quite well but in sitting in my Pod the other day I noticed the dome is double skinned (not very observant ) and noticed between the stars is quite a large area of hollowness would it be possible to drill small holes in this area and inject expander foam to create a insulation in the double skinned area ? any thoughts would be greatly appreciated
cheers Pete
Old 24-12-2016, 08:39 AM
speach (Simon)

I've got a pod on order and was thinking the same thing, but my experience with expanding polyurethane is that you must be very careful with the amount of the liquid you use. I've seen Dyna bolts pulled out of a concrete floor with just a little too much pre-foaming liquid put in the mould. So a very accurate measurement of the volume of the space between the skins is needed, A little beyond my maths skills!
Old 24-12-2016, 10:30 AM
Dave47tuc (David)
IIS member 65

Hi Pete,
I like Simon have a Sky Pod on order . My biggest concern with the Pod is the heat inside the Pod. I asked questions in a previous thread of Simon but I still have concerns. Injecting expander into an existing Pod I would have thought would be asking for trouble , to much could easily crack the Pod I would have thought.
On the Sky Pod web site they have Ecomate insulation for new Pods but that seems only for the walls! I wonder if this would really make that much difference.

And yes Merry Xmas and happy new year to all.

Simon and I and others who have ordered await 2017 for our new Sky Pods to arrive it will be an exciting year.
Old 24-12-2016, 01:12 PM
spiezzy

Hi there Simon and Dave congrads on your new PODs you will love them .
I am going to give this ago and drill a series of hole from the inside and just spray a bit at a time until the section is filled I will use a Fuller space filler type of foam not as much pressure tried it in a empty plastic bottle the trick is not to let air build up so if I drill a hole in the bottom of the dome section (there are 4) and drill a hole in the top this should push any air out until full .
the walls of the sections are quite thick approx 3 mm or more so I will let you know how it goes all the best for Chrissy
cheers Pete
Old 24-12-2016, 09:12 PM
PhilTas (Phil)

Hi Pete,
Before you proceed with this, could I suggest you contact Wayne Parker (manufacturer of the Skyshed Pod)
I recall reading on the Skyshed Pod Yahoo Group about another owner who was going to do this. Wayne was strongly against the idea, but I can't remember the exact reasons why. I think you run the risk of forcing the inner and outer skins to separate as the foam expands.
I would also like to reduce the daytime temp in my pod, I'm thinking about stapling foil insulation inside the dome as a reflector, but don't want it to look crappy.
Will watch with interest.
Cheers Phil
Old 25-12-2016, 11:50 AM
Dave47tuc (David)
IIS member 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiezzy View Post
I am going to give this ago and drill a series of hole from the inside and just spray a bit at a time until the section is filled I will use a Fuller space filler type of foam not as much pressure tried it in a empty plastic bottle the trick is not to let air build up so if I drill a hole in the bottom of the dome section (there are 4) and drill a hole in the top this should push any air out until full .
the walls of the sections are quite thick approx 3 mm or more so I will let you know how it goes all the best for Chrissy
cheers Pete
Hi Pete,
I would still proceed with caution on this process. As Phil stated Wayne is against doing this.

As it's only hot for a few months and depending where you live . I'm lucky living nearer the coast and get sea breezes so cooler than inland.
I had thoughts on hotter days on putting a cover over the Pod something like this ! https://www.bunnings.com.au/marquee-...azebo_p3190700

Also obviously to vent the Pod with this combination I think this could work.

Thoughts?

Dave
Old 25-12-2016, 02:02 PM
spiezzy

hi Dave yeh I have decided not to do it after all as the affect would be minimal I have ordered another solar powered exhaust fan instead and I now have a Telegizmo scope cover (thanks Santa) that fits the scope and mount and Pier plus if it is real hot and I am home I can just open the door for extra air flow .
also where I live is not far from the coast as you mentioned and it only gets extremely hot every now and then . Thank you every one for your input it was just a thought .
hope you all are having a great Xmas
cheers Pete
Old 25-12-2016, 02:07 PM
spiezzy

your Idea with the cover from bunnings is also good Dave
my wife came up with a good idea as well setting up a mist spray system which would be also handy in a bush fire and simple to set up there are a few options out there .
cheers Pete
Old 25-12-2016, 04:47 PM
speach (Simon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiezzy View Post
cheers Pete
Myself would not try this, I'll try a shade sail that will keep the sun's heat off and only the ambient temp then to worry about
Old 07-01-2017, 06:25 AM
PeterM

Greg Bock drilled some holes into dome and walls and used a blower to force bags of styrofoam bean bag balls in then sealed the holes. Along with exhaust fan it had a significant effect on lowering the temperature.
Old 07-01-2017, 09:38 AM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
Greg Bock drilled some holes into dome and walls and used a blower to force bags of styrofoam bean bag balls in then sealed the holes. Along with exhaust fan it had a significant effect on lowering the temperature.
Hi Peter, I thought of this very solution when I first read this thread.
My two observatories have polystyrene in the walls and roof.
Sure does make a difference.
Cheers
Old 09-01-2017, 12:49 AM
Chris85 (Chris)

Here's a good friend of mine explaining what he did with his Pod He also devolved at the time (may still be?) the first automation system for the Skysheds. Pm and I'll pass on his email for those interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Thava
Some updated on my new thermal insulating dome cover...
So far it has been successful in preventing moister and dew from forming in the dome and on the dome surface during our wet winter. In the sun, the temperature difference between the inside of the dome and the ambient temperature has been narrowed down significantly. Using the original cover from SkyShed POD, the average temperature difference was in the range of 11 deg C - 15 deg C. Now with this cover that wide range has been narrowed to about 2 - 5 deg C . This is a significant improvement.
The outer surface of the cover is a marine water proof and water resistant canvas. Water doesn't even stick to the surface when it rains. The 2nd and 3rd layer are a type of heavy duty wall insulating sheet. The 4th layer is a breather canvas. Basically the insulating sheets are sandwiched between two canvas sheets.
Cheers and clear skies
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (pod.jpg)
31.0 KB82 views
Old 27-01-2017, 07:47 AM
AEAJR (Ed)

You can now buy the Sky Shed observatories with the hollow walls filled with foam insulation. Not sure about the dome. If you are ordering a new one that would be the time to get the insulation in. In the USA it is $60 per panel.

Personally, I would think if you provided some "weep" holes where excess foam could escape and went more to under filling then fully filling the cavity that it should work.

If I were going to try this I would do it in a wall panel and lay it flat so the foam would rise that way as opposed to standing in place where expanding foam could get locked in. you could pour the liquid in and spread it around.

You could take the panel or dome off so you could roll the thing around as the foam cured, again so you would be less likely to get a sealed area were pressure would build up.

Try it in a bucket to test the volume expansion.

Frankly I also like the idea of the Styrofoam beads if you already have one and are concerned about the expanding foam. You would be looking for EPS, expanded polystyrene beads in bulk or it would be too expensive.

I don't have one of these observatories but I have been looking at them.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:49 PM
leo
Leo

Reflecting daytime heat on the SkyShed pods + sale

after getting advice, anti-graffiti paint (white) was applied to the horizontal grey poly surface and has lasted 2-3 years.

The internal surface temperature was lowered ok.

Touch up with a spray can (primer/finish external) is now indicated.

This observatory will be soon replaced by a larger roll on/off.

If interested refer: http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=153209

Last edited by sheeny; 02-02-2017 at 07:01 PM. Reason: remove ad and place link to proper ad
Old 03-02-2017, 06:26 AM
DougR (Doug)

Hi,

This might be a dumb idea, but could you just fill the space between the inner and outer shells with polystyrene beanbag beads? (fill from the top)
They would settle with time, but you could always top it up. I'd imaging some static cling issues while pouring them in too.

Cheers, Doug

[oops - just saw Ed suggested this too ]