Old 12-02-2008, 04:10 AM
Zuts

Big Decision, help needed

Hi Guys,

I have just found a ST2000 XCM on astromart for $1850 + $350 shipping via UPS.

(1) The seller has lots of feedback so I am reasonably confident the transaction will be OK.

(2) The serial number of the camera is 20502994XCM so it is a reasonably new one, but without the external guide port. However I will be the 3rd owner.

(3) All up it will cost me a bit more than a new QHY8, so what do you guys think, a 2nd hand SBIG or a new QHY8.

(4) Also, will i need to use my 0.8 reducer on my TV85 given the size of the SBIG chip and if so does anyone know what is required to fit the TV 0.8 reducer to the SBIG. Currently it just screws into the standard canon T ring i got from Bintel.

Any thoughts very welcome and appreciated

Paul
Old 12-02-2008, 07:16 AM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Hi Paul

In terms of Q(4) I have an old model, parallel SBIG ST7 and it has a T thread for mounting adapters. A small, square flange is bolted onto the face of the ST7 and it has an internal (female) T thread and this accepts T adapters. My ST7 came with a 2” to T adapter and a 1 ¼” to T adapter. These two adapters allow you to insert the ST7 into a 2” or 1 ¼” focuser.

I also have a Tak adapter, 54mm to T, so that the ST7 can be mated with the Tak Reducer/Flattener as a solid unit.

I have found the SBIG gear to be very reliable.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 12-02-2008, 01:15 PM
gbeal

You know my thoughts on the debate, so I won't repeat them.
Make sure the ST2000 has the 2020 chip, not the earlier one.
Get some other method other than UPS, for postage, I use USPS.
The reducer to ST2000 should be as simple as the reducer to EOS, but the distance needs to be the same. With the Canon, it will have about 50mm roughly from front to chip. The ST2000 is about 27mm I think (check the SBIG site). Ideally the distance needs to be what Televue suggest, and get the required distance in T thread extension.
Gary
Old 12-02-2008, 04:33 PM
netwolf

Yes USPS Express international is very reliable, I had my C8 leave Idaho on a Thursday and Arive here on the Tuesday after the long weekend. And you can track it all the way to your door. Delivered locally by Fedex (only trouble they deliver 7am). Have had used this method 3 times, dragonfly expres, Blietooth serial adapter, and the C8 very reliable. And for the size and weight of your unit should not be very expensive. The C8 cost be 100$ with insurance.

Now as the Qhy8 vs SBIG, its a tough decision. I am myself considering the Qhy8 and hypstar 3 for the C8. I would check the latest price on the Qhy8. Its 1499USD last i checked from Qui but then there is shipping, duty and GST plus local margin.

Regards
Fahim
Old 12-02-2008, 04:44 PM
rogerg (Roger)

With the ST2000 XCM having an internal guide chip and the QHY8 not, it'd be a no-brainer for me, and SBIG being SBIG (implies lots of other advantages such as compatibility and support), definitely go with the ST2000.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:52 PM
netwolf

Ah yes the Sbig has the on board guide chip that would make it a better choice in that regard. But two other points to note are the Qhy8 is a 6megapixel camera with the same sensor as the Nikon D40/D50. The Kodak chip is just under 2mp with slightly bigger pixel count.
Sbig support is better they are not reliant on a single person.

The Qhy2pro i think is also 2mp sensor might be a better one to compare with. But i think this is a mono camera. And the Qhy2 is the color version at 3.3mp but much smaller pixels around 3um.

Also the Sbig is USB 1.1 and Qhy are using USB 2.0.

Regards
Fahim
Old 12-02-2008, 08:23 PM
Zuts

Thanks for everyones replies and taking the time.

I am going UPS because its coming from Canada.

I have seriously been considering a QHY8, mainly because I beleive they are good value for money and of course the pixel count.

The self guiding is not that big a plus for me at my current FL of 600 mm but in the future I am thinking of getting a LX200R 10 inch or C9.25 OTA for imaging and then i think self guiding will be a big plus.

The camera is at least a year old but is the latest version with the 2020 chip and 257 guide chip, but no external guide port. I guess I am relying on SBIG reliability and hoping it will last me at least a few years. I notice there are still lots of parrallel interface SBIGS around.

One other issue is I am not sure regards resale as though new ST7, ST8 are being produced I dont think they are that popular because of pixel count and maybe will soon be replaced, like the ST4000 with the ST2000. That is a chance i have to take I guess.

Thanks Gary regards chip to reducer distance, I should also check this for my Canon as I never considered this.

If I was a millionaire i would get a STL2K, but I'm not so if i want an SBIG then this is about it in my price range.

Have to make up my mind tonight or he wont hold the camera any more.

Decisions

Paul
Old 12-02-2008, 08:38 PM
netwolf

Paul,

I would go with the SBIG for the simple reason that if you outgrow it then you can always sell it on its reputation and get a better camera. Sbig have earned there reputation for being good so it would not be hard to sell down here if you later decide on a different track. I have used my friends ST237A and even though its quiet old its so easy to use.

The Qhy8 will wait and I am sure there will be better ones coming from Qhy.

Regards
Fahim
Old 12-02-2008, 09:02 PM
Zuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwolf View Post

The Qhy8 will wait and I am sure there will be better ones coming from Qhy.

Regards
Fahim
Thanks Fahim,

Actually I think that is true. If Qui keeps on going then not only will there be better cameras from him, but also i reckon cheaper cameras from SBIG , competion is always good.

Paul
Old 12-02-2008, 09:30 PM
netwolf

Yes Paul, i also think the prices will have to come down. I note that Sbig are selling there camera's minus the Guide chip to make prices more affordable.
Old 14-02-2008, 05:19 PM
Zuts

Decision made

Hi Guys,

I decided to buy the SBIG ST2000 XCM and sent the money off to Canada today. Should receive it next week. Man I hope everything goes OK!

Paul

Last edited by Zuts; 14-02-2008 at 06:18 PM.
Old 16-02-2008, 09:28 PM
Zuts

Hi Guys,

Got an email saying he received the payment. So that is giving me some confidence. He says the camera will be posted on Monday, so with any luck i should get my SBIG 2000 XCM next week

Man, it is stressfull sending a large amount of money overseas to someone you dont know

Paul
Old 17-02-2008, 02:39 AM
jase (Jason)

Well done Paul. No looking back now.
Old 17-02-2008, 03:03 PM
Zuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jase View Post
Well done Paul. No looking back now.
Thanks Jase,

I have always wanted to try an SBIG. The resolution will seem small after a EOS400D, but it's a real live Astro camera

Also it will save me some time in the park explaining to passers by why I need two scopes

Paul
Old 17-02-2008, 06:31 PM
h0ughy (David)

Wish you luck and will hope for clear weather to get some results to show us
Old 17-02-2008, 07:41 PM
Zuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
Wish you luck and will hope for clear weather to get some results to show us
Thanks m8,

I think my first pic will be the tree across the road. I got an EOS lens adapter with it so if it's raining I can still test it out.

According to Peter Ward I can set it up on a rock, point it at a tree and check if the self guiding works

Paul
Old 18-02-2008, 04:15 AM
gbeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuts View Post
According to Peter Ward I can set it up on a rock, point it at a tree and check if the self guiding works

Paul
While I know you are just winding Peter up, I am sure he will reply that in Track and Accumulate mode this is of course entirely possible.
Old 18-02-2008, 06:16 AM
Zuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbeal View Post
While I know you are just winding Peter up, I am sure he will reply that in Track and Accumulate mode this is of course entirely possible.
Just having joke

I hope it works though. It's always a worry buying second hand gear but sometimes the price differential is too hard to ignore.

Paul
Old 18-02-2008, 09:12 AM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

A rock mounted ST2000 will deliver nice round stars with an 8mm lens and 10 second exposures.

It will also track and accumulate, self guide, work with adaptive optics and put you on the road to imaging Valhalla
with something a little better than a rock

Last edited by Peter Ward; 18-02-2008 at 10:01 AM. Reason: clarification.
Old 20-02-2008, 08:07 PM
Zuts

Hi Guys,

Got an email from the sender saying he has posted the camera. The tracking number he supplied exists on the Canada Post site so something was posted

Maybe it will work out fine, i sure hope so.

Paul