Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23-02-2021, 09:47 AM
Startrek (Martin)

EQ8-R Pro Mount Tripod Feet Spacing Query

For those who own the latest EQ8-R Pro mount , please advise if the tripod spacing between feet is fixed at 894mm ( as per attached manual ) or is there some adjustment to make the feet slightly wider apart say 950mm apart between feet ??
I may upgrade at some stage in the future from EQ6-R to EQ8-R in my new Dome and prefer to use the same holes through the timber deck onto my concrete piers just under the deck
Your advice and confirmation would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Old 23-02-2021, 07:21 PM
h0ughy (David)

You can make it what ever you want and adjust to pier legs to suit
Old 23-02-2021, 07:27 PM
h0ughy (David)

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/a...e.php?a=141098
Old 23-02-2021, 07:46 PM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

The cost of the tripod of an eq8 is about a grand. You would get much better performance out of a custom pier and one can build one for far less. And think how much room those legs take up in the dome!

If you do want an eq8 tripod, there are plenty of us out there that have unused ones bought before it became an optional extra
Old 23-02-2021, 08:56 PM
Startrek (Martin)

David and Jonathan
Thanks
I have a local metal fabricator who can whip me up a post and custom plate to suit whatever mount but may go down that path at a later stage ( central pier ) I just want to ensure I can use my EQ6-R holes ( 950mm spacing ) for an EQ8-R tripod, but again I may not even purchase an EQ8-R mount ?
From the EQ8-R from photos and drawings there must be a point where you can’t push the tripod legs out any further as the tripod arm and hinge will lock against the main shaft ??
Old 23-02-2021, 09:33 PM
h0ughy (David)

See the diagram
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (images (2).jpeg)
18.5 KB21 views
Old 23-02-2021, 10:13 PM
Startrek (Martin)

David
Thanks
Your drawing must be the older EQ8 ?
The new EQ8-R pro is very similar ( attached )
Understood now , both old and new drawings show tripod at lowest height and shortest width between feet , 893mm or 894mm
So as you raise the centre pier the tripod legs move out wider until your happy with height then lock the braces
All good
Thanks again
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (1E539966-4FE8-441C-A724-63170B1DBBE6.jpg)
63.5 KB18 views
Old 24-02-2021, 06:20 AM
appiice (Ed)

Hello Martin
I know this is just moot at the moment, but what about an adapter to go from your current tripod to the potential new mount?
I had a 8r on a pier and that is the best option but if you don't have a chunk of concrete under the dome it may not be the best option. ( the 8r was bricked by me ( it had a factory fitted defect that I installed the fix for ) the local importer agreed with me that it wasn't fit for purpose and for a fee replaced it with a 8 Rh.
I see in your equipment list you have EQ6-R mounts an adapter would all ow you to use them.
Ed
Old 24-02-2021, 07:52 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by appiice View Post
Hello Martin
I know this is just moot at the moment, but what about an adapter to go from your current tripod to the potential new mount?
I had a 8r on a pier and that is the best option but if you don't have a chunk of concrete under the dome it may not be the best option. ( the 8r was bricked by me ( it had a factory fitted defect that I installed the fix for ) the local importer agreed with me that it wasn't fit for purpose and for a fee replaced it with a 8 Rh.
I see in your equipment list you have EQ6-R mounts an adapter would all ow you to use them.
Ed
Ed,
Thanks for the suggestion
If you look in DIY Obs section it shows my set up from A to Z , I have some heavy duty concrete piers under my deck , 1 centre pier for future , 3 tripod piers for now
I dont know if I’ll ever buy the EQ8-R as it’s overkill at 50kg payload (my payload is 15kg and if I ever upgrade my scope probably 22kg )

If Skywatcher developed a 35kg mount I’d probably buy that instead

Cheers
Martin