Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 2.29 average.
Old 18-09-2016, 02:35 PM
AndrewJ
Watch me post!

One question
I was inAdelaide during the week but couldnt post a reply.
I noted that in the meteograms, the day 3 rain forecast was very different in the day 1-3 screen, vs the day 3-5 screen.
Any reason why????
ie are the 1-3 models different to the 3-5 models.

Andrew
Old 18-09-2016, 02:51 PM
cfn
Cloud Free Night Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJ View Post
One question
I was inAdelaide during the week but couldnt post a reply.
I noted that in the meteograms, the day 3 rain forecast was very different in the day 1-3 screen, vs the day 3-5 screen.
Any reason why????
ie are the 1-3 models different to the 3-5 models.

Andrew
Yes. The Days 1-3 meteogram would be displaying data from the higher resolution ACCESS-R (regional) model while the Days 3-5 meteogram would be displaying data from the ACCESS-G (global) model. The ACCESS model name will appear in the title (or top right corner) of the meteogram.
Old 18-09-2016, 03:46 PM
Phil Hart

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfn View Post
Yes. The Days 1-3 meteogram would be displaying data from the higher resolution ACCESS-R (regional) model while the Days 3-5 meteogram would be displaying data from the ACCESS-G (global) model. The ACCESS model name will appear in the title (or top right corner) of the meteogram.
And just to add that this last week has been a very challenging one for the models (not just BoM ACCESS). The rapid development of the low pressure systems was proving difficult to pick in advance - I've rarely seen such large and late swings in forecast rainfall.

Phil
Old 20-09-2016, 08:18 PM
marc4darkskies (Marcus)
Billions and Billions ...

It seems you have to register to use CFN now?
Old 20-09-2016, 09:19 PM
luka
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc4darkskies View Post
It seems you have to register to use CFN now?
The bookmarks do not work any more but you can still click through the menus to get the info.
Old 21-09-2016, 09:34 AM
wastro (Robert)

Quote:
Originally Posted by luka View Post
The bookmarks do not work any more but you can still click through the menus to get the info.
Cloud Free Night is undergoing changes with the addition of new features and an improved myCFN service (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...72&postcount=1). If you would like to become a beta tester please PM me.
Old 27-09-2016, 03:48 PM
cfn
Cloud Free Night Team

Lightbulb Swiping Direction

Is now a supporter's choice. Go into your control panel and set the swiping direction to your preferred setting. A few users are more comfortable advancing time by swiping to the left like an image gallery so this is now available. The default direction is still increasing time to the right.

Last edited by cfn; 27-09-2016 at 03:59 PM.
Old 27-09-2016, 03:51 PM
cfn
Cloud Free Night Team

Lightbulb myCFN locations

In myCFN you can set up to 10 favourite locations. Go to your control panel and click on "Edit myCFN Locations". One click on the location will toggle the selection to black (selected) or blue (unselected). Once you have selected all your locations, tick the checkbox on the top left corner of the location you want to appear first in the list. This location will also be the first meteogram to load when you sign into myCFN.
Old 27-09-2016, 03:56 PM
cfn
Cloud Free Night Team

Lightbulb High Resolution ACCESS City model

In myCFN you also have access to high resolution forecast maps for the first 36h in 1h increment.

So you basically get the forecast from 1h up to 36h with the ACCESS City model.

If your current time selection is anywhere between 1h and 36h and you press the play button it will play every hour for the first 36h and loop over. A very efficient way to quickly check the forecast in high res over the next day and a half.

If your current time is just over 36h it will play from 36h up to 120h every 3h and loop over, ideal for the next few days forecast.

Finally if your current selection is just over 120h you will play from 120h up to 240h every 6h for the long term forecast.
Old 27-09-2016, 05:47 PM
Sol-Skysailor (Sol)

Owww… That just wrecked my multi-site tabs. I had it nicely set up and was grinning: site 1 meteogram, bookmark it in cfn, bookmark it on browser (Chrome); new tab ditto site 2, new tab ditto site 3. Anytime, I could call up 3 tabs. Quick-as and no cookies. (Actually, just like BoM location-specific tabs I bookmarked.) Now it defaults to personal mycfn in-your-face that I do not want to get personal about. Or defaults to Home with general info. IMHO I think quick and easy public-access first, straight to data, is the key, such as for many popular sites.

Can’t it be like, say, IIS where unobtrusively at a corner you could login when you want to?

Anyway. I’m plenty appreciative so this is in no way a complaint. It’s a feedback. Like, fewer grins.
Old 27-09-2016, 06:01 PM
cfn
Cloud Free Night Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol-Skysailor View Post
Owww… That just wrecked my multi-site tabs. I had it nicely set up and was grinning: site 1 meteogram, bookmark it in cfn, bookmark it on browser (Chrome); new tab ditto site 2, new tab ditto site 3. Anytime, I could call up 3 tabs. Quick-as and no cookies. (Actually, just like BoM location-specific tabs I bookmarked.) Now it defaults to personal mycfn in-your-face that I do not want to get personal about. Or defaults to Home with general info. IMHO I think quick and easy public-access first, straight to data, is the key, such as for many popular sites.

Can’t it be like, say, IIS where unobtrusively at a corner you could login when you want to?

Anyway. I’m plenty appreciative so this is in no way a complaint. It’s a feedback. Like, fewer grins.
myCFN provides you with up to 10 bookmarks and no login required.
Old 27-09-2016, 06:39 PM
wastro (Robert)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol-Skysailor View Post

I encourage you (and anyone else) to complete the Cloud Free Night Feedback Survey (http://www.cloudfreenight.com/survey.list). You will be registered for myCFN and rewarded with 3 months of Supporter access to all features (http://www.cloudfreenight.com/faq.list&fq=30). You can then judge for yourself how much better it is having multiple (myCFN) favourite locations, compared to browser bookmarks, and check out the new features.
Robert
Old 28-09-2016, 09:21 AM
cfn
Cloud Free Night Team

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfn View Post
myCFN provides you with up to 10 bookmarks and no login required.

Expanding on this so there is no confusion.

What you are trying to achieve is bookmark multiple locations in different tabs in your browser. This will work initially when you click on the first bookmark, but as soon as you click on the second bookmark the location in your first tab will also change to the second bookmark. There is no way around that. It's a default behaviour of your browser.

You mentioned the added step of having to login. With myCFN you don't even have to login. That's the beauty of it. All you get is one encrypted link that when clicked will log you in automatically and set the site to whatever your locations and settings are.

You can add this link as an ICON to your home screen on any mobile phone or tablet. If you are using CHROME you can also run it as a web application by adding it to your Windows Desktop. If you are on IE you can add it to your desktop as well. So any which way you think about it, there is no login or bookmarking required.

Quote:
IMHO I think quick and easy public-access first, straight to data, is the key, such as for many popular sites.
Straight to the data it is. But we do it even better. Straight to your data. No popular site does it as easily and as efficiently as we do.

Last edited by cfn; 28-09-2016 at 09:33 AM.
Old 29-09-2016, 03:33 PM
cfn
Cloud Free Night Team

Lightbulb Map Types Selection

myCFN supporters can now choose which Map Types they want to display and whether they want them in the main menu or in the popup window under "Other Map Types". Check your control panel in myCFN.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (map_type_sel_00.jpg)
197.8 KB30 views
Click for full-size image (map_type_sel_01.jpg)
197.7 KB32 views
Click for full-size image (map_type_sel_02.jpg)
74.9 KB29 views
Old 29-09-2016, 05:20 PM
cfn
Cloud Free Night Team

Lightbulb Multiple Locations on myCFN

Supporters can have up to 10 locations bookmarked in myCFN. Go to your control panel and select all the meteograms you want in your list then tick the one you want to set as your main meteogram location when you login.

All the locations will be plotted accordingly on all maps, radars and satellite views. They are also clickable, so just selecting one will bring the corresponding meteogram directly from the map.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (meteograms_02.jpg)
195.7 KB29 views
Click for full-size image (meteograms_01.jpg)
196.9 KB25 views
Old 30-09-2016, 01:22 PM
cfn
Cloud Free Night Team

Lightbulb Default Home Page

myCFN supporters can now set their default home page. This page will be the first page showing up when you click on your login link. You can set it in your control panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (default_page.jpg)
196.9 KB39 views
Old 03-10-2016, 06:40 AM
cfn
Cloud Free Night Team

Lightbulb Grouping Forecast Maps

myCFN supporters can now display all the forecast maps available with better use of screen space by grouping them.

You can have two selection sets. For example, all the clouds related maps in one set and all the other maps in the second set. The "Other Map Types" button becomes a switch and the sidemenu will update on the fly. No more popup window.

Swiping up and down will loop within each set, so it is now much faster and convenient to cycle through all the cloud layers.

To activate this go to your control panel, select all the maps of interest, then tick them accordingly to separate them in two subsets.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (map_types_01.jpg)
198.6 KB28 views
Click for full-size image (map_types_02.jpg)
199.5 KB23 views
Click for full-size image (map_types_03.jpg)
119.4 KB24 views
Old 03-10-2016, 09:38 AM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Great work on how this is coming along, particularly myCFN Robert and crew. A couple of queries please:

1. I'm still not smart enough to save a simple Bookmark in Chrome on my Win 10 desktop to go straight to a Meteogram for one of my 4 set up locations (Brisbane ideally). In "Edit my Default Home Page" I have chosen the "Meteogram" button, and in myCFN settings I have bookmarked the "Update Login Link" URL, however it just takes me to the "myCFN Link" page when I select that bookmark?
(is this another smartphone vs PC user interface thing??)

2. For the meteograms, could I suggest most people would call a given night by the day proceeding it, not the new day starting at midnight. Would it be possible (and popular) to move the day lettering to the left to denote the name of the day before midnight please? (e.g. Today is Monday. If I look at a meteogram right now Mon night isn't obvious - Tue 4 Oct is the first designation - suggest move text to the left 6 hours and use designation of current day)
Old 03-10-2016, 11:35 AM
wastro (Robert)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobF View Post
Great work on how this is coming along, particularly myCFN Robert and crew. A couple of queries please:

1. I'm still not smart enough to save a simple Bookmark in Chrome on my Win 10 desktop to go straight to a Meteogram for one of my 4 set up locations (Brisbane ideally). In "Edit my Default Home Page" I have chosen the "Meteogram" button, and in myCFN settings I have bookmarked the "Update Login Link" URL, however it just takes me to the "myCFN Link" page when I select that bookmark?
(is this another smartphone vs PC user interface thing??)

2. For the meteograms, could I suggest most people would call a given night by the day proceeding it, not the new day starting at midnight. Would it be possible (and popular) to move the day lettering to the left to denote the name of the day before midnight please? (e.g. Today is Monday. If I look at a meteogram right now Mon night isn't obvious - Tue 4 Oct is the first designation - suggest move text to the left 6 hours and use designation of current day)
Thanks for the feedback.

1. Using Chrome (or any browser) on Windows 10 desktop go to "View & bookmark Login Link" and save page as bookmark on your Bookmarks bar. When you next start your browser just click myCFN on Bookmarks bar and you will be taken to your Default Home Page. This is exactly how I do it with the Meteogram as my default home page.

2. For the meteogram, I'm going to try centering the date label over the 12 noon time. That should give a better association of the day with the forthcoming night?
Old 03-10-2016, 11:44 AM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Thanks Robert

1. I'm still stuck - if I drag the "View & bookmark Login Link" or click on it and bookmark that page I still go straight to the page below rather than a meteogram. Perhaps I'm not saving cookies or something correctly? (Did realise I didn't have my default location ticked however - figured that one and fixed.)

2. That would be much more intuitive I believe. (thanks for connsidering)
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (2016-10-03 11_44_57-Clipboard.jpg)
69.0 KB21 views