Old 24-09-2012, 06:23 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Samyang 14mm - it's not good at everything

While at the Bungle Bungles, we visited Echidna Chasm - a stunning gorge formed by millions of years of water rushing down a crack in the join of the sandstone and conglomerate rock.

It's only 1-2 metres wide in some parts, but up to 200m high.

We were there in the late morning, waiting for the Sun to creep overhead and light up the narrow walls of gorge with a beautiful orange colour.

Photography was rather difficult because of the huge dynamic range. It was very dark in the bottom of the gorge, but very very bright overhead.

This was a 0.3s exposure @ ISO640. I can't remember what the focal ratio was set to (it's a manual setting on the lens and isn't captured in the EXIF).

The Samyang 14mm on the 5D Mk II was great for it's wide field of view trying to capture the height of the walls and also the floor, but the protruding lens caused some nasty reflections from the very bright light overhead.

You can see the reflections/scattering of light in a semi-circle shape around the middle of the image. Looks like I need a flat-field

So it's not great for every occasion but still a very versatile lens

btw it's a self-portrait
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (echidna-mike-samyang-4650.jpg)
194.3 KB161 views
Old 24-09-2012, 06:51 AM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Still a bloody nice photo Mike, and you've sold me on the location by now. i have the MFT version of their 7.5mm coming this week. They look like great lenses in many situations. I think that this shot of yours would have been tough on any lens.
Old 24-09-2012, 07:01 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaroo View Post
Still a bloody nice photo Mike, and you've sold me on the location by now. i have the MFT version of their 7.5mm coming this week. They look like great lenses in many situations. I think that this shot of yours would have been tough on any lens.
Thanks Chris, once I noticed the flaring on the back of the camera I changed to the 17-40 and it handled it much better, but obviously not as much FOV.

I'm not sure whether I should try and recover this photo (lots of painting with a contrast tool or dogde/burn) or just throw it on the pile of throw-aways.

You'd love the Bungle Bungles.. though not much in the way of 'street' there But you could always get the tourist rush when the buses come in
Old 24-09-2012, 07:56 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Nice pic. Beautiful place but scary though.
Old 24-09-2012, 08:12 AM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Golly Mike - I certainly don't think it's a junker - not by a long shot. The sheer depth of colour and this particular comp (with you in it) is very good. You know me, I normally wait for people to move out of view (same with Humayun in that respect) but here it gives the scene its scale. I've seen plenty of Nat Geo images with more flare than this and I think that it works as is to be honest. Purists will probably disagree, but hey - it's up to the beholder isn't it? If you don't want it, I'll have it! LOL

EDIT: I can see what you mean now - by exacerbating the flare. Wow. It's a biggie! How much better did the 17-40 handle this? Same scene and time?
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (gorge.jpg)
160.0 KB66 views
Old 24-09-2012, 09:59 AM
Lester

Very nice view Mike and a hard ask for such a wide light variation. Would a HDR image have worked for this?
Old 24-09-2012, 10:39 AM
colinmlegg (Colin)

I've run into similar problems. You'll also want to avoid placing the moon in the outer 1/3 of the frame. I shot some panos with the moon up and the flare is hard to avoid with such a wide angle.

Maybe try some luminosity masks to even it out? The colour variation maybe hard to fix though.
Old 24-09-2012, 03:05 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

In the test results I read about, pretty sure it had less flare than the Canon 14mm L it was being compared to.
Old 24-09-2012, 03:16 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

The 17-40 handled it better - I'll post an example shortly.
Old 24-09-2012, 03:25 PM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

It's still a radically-well priced lens that performs extremely well in almost all circumstances that I've seen it tested in. I think that it's an absolute no-brainer to own one. I'm not sure of the real differences between this and the Micro Four Thirds variation (given that its native length is actually 7.5mm), but I'll post some stuff with it soon.
Old 24-09-2012, 05:16 PM
Bassnut (Fred)
Narrowfield rules!

Geez, that was close Mike. I nearly bought one for my daughters birthday (shes been banging on about WF for a while) since it seemed you always had good results with it, but last min got an EFS 15-85 is (is for an APS size D60), thought it might offer more versatility.Hope that wasn't a balls up. Yr 17-40L looks to about the same price, mmm anyway.

Is the Samyang made for full frame?

Still an excellent pick BTW