Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 12-08-2016, 01:11 PM
sharptrack2 (Kevin)

Thanks Howard,

So my 8" SCT with the ASI034MC camera (1/4" sensor) would have a FoV of 0.19 degrees. Which explains why a telescope higher than F7 or 8 usually isn't used without a reducer. Planets would be the only thing you could video with any chance of a good image to work with.

And adding a 2X barlow would only make that worse...
Old 20-08-2016, 11:20 AM
Beatlejohn

Hey guys...
Im interested in getting into video astronomy. I recently bought a 6" skywatcher dob... had it 2 weeks then decided it was too hard finding stuff so i upgraded to a 10" skywatcher goto dob. Havent had much of a chance to use it yet cos the clouds have arrived cos i bought a new scope

So I have read most of this thread and like the look of the revolution imager kit but just wanted to make sure it would be ok to use with my goto dob?
I wanna be able to see some nice dso's and maybe take a snapshot of it if i feel like.
Old 22-08-2016, 07:48 AM
ChrisV (Chris)

Only just saw this. I think your question got answered really well on AVF.
Old 22-08-2016, 09:08 AM
Bob

True video astronomy

TRUE VIDEO ASTRONOMY

VIDEO ASTRONOMY IS EXCELLENT FOR PEOPLE WITH POOR EYE SIGHT , TO COMBAT LIGHT POLLUTION, TO SEE DEEPER INTO SPACE THAN YOU CAN WITH YOUR EYES, AND IS PERFECT FOR OUTREACH PROGRAMS.
True video astronomy in my opinion is intergration of no more than 60 seconds, I mostly use 7 to 14 seconds or less.
In other words as close to real time as possible.
I only use software to control camera settings ,.
I do not use software to enhance the on screen picture.
I feed the cables from the cameras directly to the CRT 14” televisions so you see exactly what the camera sees without software enhancements.
At this time, I believe CCD cameras are more sensitive than CMOS cameras , which rely on software to enhance the image, which I believe is more Astrophotography than Live Video astronomy.
I only use Mallincam CCD cameras as I believe they are the best, and I have used various other makes.
I use a Mallincam Xtreme colour camera and a Mallincam Xterminator Mono camera.
They are both very sensitive cameras and work very well in my very heavy light polluted area.
A WORD OF WARNING ONCE YOU GET INTO TRUE VIDEO ASTRONOMY YOU WILL NOT USE YOUR EYE PIECES ANY MORE.
Old 23-08-2016, 08:46 AM
AG Hybrid (Adrian)
A Friendly Nyctophiliac

Well thanks for that Bob. But, I think the liberal use of your capslock keys was unecessary.
Old 23-08-2016, 12:27 PM
Bob

I have been a video astronomer for 15 years, just trying to help with information.
I thought the context of the message would be more important rather than a couple of sentences in capitals .
Adrian I am not interested in NEGATIVE comments, it does not help anyone.
Old 23-08-2016, 01:03 PM
Stonius (Markus)

Some people use Caps for emphasis, like italics. TBH, it doesnt bother me, but since for most folks it's reads as obnoxious screaming I tend to avoid it for the sake of peaceable communication.

This has been a really interesting thread full of good information, both in upper and lower case. I hope there will be more to come.

Cheers
Markus
Old 23-08-2016, 04:25 PM
ChrisV (Chris)

Yes great stuff. I'd like to hear from people with experience using cameras like the ultrastar and infinity with their respective software.

There was a great broadcast today on NSN with someone using a cooled atik414 with astrotoaster.
Old 23-08-2016, 04:57 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

For the sake of camaraderie, we should remember that cameras like the Revolution Imager, represents just the modest price end of things. Like everything else, how deep are your pockets does enter into the equation. Then things like the pros and cons of CMOS vs CCD can be discussed, and only with understanding.

And we have not even begun to talk about the Avalanche CCD chips that Panasonic is developing that will leave ALL our current cameras looking like box brownies...

Chris, I agree that it would be great to hear about the results people are getting with other cameras. I'd also like to hear about how they use Video Astronomy. With this last point, for me it is as an outreach tool under light polluted skies, and really only to compliment the visual experience that people want from using scope, but that light pollution robs them of. Bob's post is important too where he is one person with limited mobility and now compromised vision, and video still allows him to enjoy the night sky as closely to a visually exclusively experience as he can achieve without the complications of post processing. Had one's fill for the night, and then just shut down everything, happy as Larry.

Alex.
Old 24-08-2016, 12:25 PM
ChrisV (Chris)

Agreed. Love both my revolution imager for quick looks on the monitor and USB for stacking. Both have their place in the wonderful world of video(ish) astronomy.

And the avalanche sounds interesting !
Old 28-08-2016, 10:04 AM
ChrisV (Chris)

Hopefully broadcasting tonight on
Nightskiesnetwork.com

Starting about 7-8pm. Using 80mm
Refractor ASI224 sharpcap.
Old 01-10-2016, 11:52 AM
eskimo20 (Robert)

Revolution Imager Caps

I use video as an aid for observing and usually connect my analogue camera to a 20” analogue colour TV. I have found this to a no-fuss way of getting very good views.

But there are times when it would be nice to get a snap-shot of the on-screen images.

When I have used an analogue to digital converter the resulting images have been very poor compared to what I can see on my analogue screen.

Recently I have been tinkering with the Live Stack function in SharpCap as demonstrated by ChrisV on his ZWO digital camera earlier in this thread. I find that a short Live Stack does produce a digital image that is close to what I see on the analogue screen.

The first image is a photograph of the TV screen. It’s blurred because the shutter speed was too slow for a hand-held shot but it gives an idea of what I would like to be able to capture.

The other images are straight out of the camera with a 3 minute Live Stack then saved as a single .png frame. No further processing.

(Bresser 5” achromat + Fringe Killer operating at about f4.8. Revolution Imager 811 chip.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Helix TV.jpg)
187.4 KB79 views
Click for full-size image (Helix.jpg)
61.8 KB77 views
Click for full-size image (NGC253.jpg)
171.1 KB75 views
Click for full-size image (NGC 55.jpg)
66.4 KB72 views
Click for full-size image (M22.jpg)
96.4 KB70 views
Old 01-10-2016, 05:49 PM
5ash (Philip)
Earthling

The second helix pic looks quite good . It only lacks the blue seen in the single shot. Perhaps this could be brought out by processing in photoshop. It seems to look more realistic and detailed than the single frame. I'd be very pleased capturing that stack with the equipment you are using.
Regards philip
Old 01-10-2016, 07:08 PM
eskimo20 (Robert)

Hi 5ash

Thanks

Yes I was disappointed in the digital image of the Helix.

I expected some loss from the camera at the blue end because of the Fringe Killer but obviously the information is there in the analogue image.

Anyway I'll keep tinkering...
Old 02-10-2016, 02:06 PM
ChrisV (Chris)

Nice stuff Robert. That ring neb is showing better colour than i get with the zwo. If you want to fiddle your pics a bit after get fitswork. It's free and you can do some stretching on the RGB separately.

As sharpcap doesn't let you adjust colours separately while stacking its worth sorting out the colour balance of your camera. With my RI i just shoot a sheet of white paper in daylight, watch the rgb histograms in sharpcap and adjust the RGB channels in the camera or in sharpcap. If you do it in sharpcap then you can save that configuration.

That's the only trouble with using the RI with sharpcap - the a/d converters have low resolution. less than what comes out of the camera.

Last edited by ChrisV; 02-10-2016 at 02:27 PM.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:49 PM
eskimo20 (Robert)

Chris
Thanks for the tip on colour balancing the camera. I have been pondering how to do that. At the moment I'm just doing it by eye on the TV screen.
Old 14-10-2016, 01:29 AM
AEAJR (Ed)

Talking

I recently joined the Video Astronomy or Electronically Assisted Astronomy, EAA, as it is sometimes called.

I picked up a Revolution Imager R2 kit. I know it has been discussed here. I bought it because it is a ready to go kit for beginners that is easy to set-up and use. I have only started to work with it but so far it has been great.

Video Astronomy – Reveloution Imager R2 – Ordered this one
http://www.revolutionimager.com/

The thing I like about it is that you don't need a computer, it includes the monitor. But if you want to attach to a computer there is an adapter that will let you capture the video feed as digital frames for post processing if you want. But that is an optional step.

Not here to pitch for the product. Just telling you my current level of involvement.

In my opinion this really needs some kind of tracking mount. I guess you can use it on a manual mount but I don't think it really lives up to its potential that way unless you have really smooth slow motion controls and want to constantly turn them.

I have an 8" Orion XT8i and I have tried the set-up with that. This is a manual scope, no motor tracking. Camera came to focus but this will not be my target set-up for this system. I report my experience here:
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...=148068&page=2

I will be using a Meade ETX 80 Goto as my video astronomy set-up. This is a short FL (400 mm) 80 mm refractor. I attach a photo of the set-up I am using. Monitor is on the left and battery is on the right. The white shelf I built myself. It just hangs off the tripod and provides a place to put things which comes in handy.

The goal is for the camera, monitor and battery to ride with the mount as I slew and track. Meade says the weight should be no problem as the mount is also useable with DSLRs hanging off the back which I would expect to put much more load on the mount than this.

If this works out as I expect then the ETX 80 will become my video telescope and my XT8i will become my visual telescope. At some point I may add a laptop for capture and image post processing but that is not what I am planning to do now.

Based on what I have seen so far I will continue to enjoy both forms of astronomy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (2016-09-07 13.47.08 (359x640).jpg)
185.6 KB51 views

Last edited by AEAJR; 15-10-2016 at 02:43 AM.
Old 14-10-2016, 08:14 AM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)
I can see clearly now ...

Set up is looking good Ed. I shall interested to read your observing reports and impressions.

Cheers

Steve.
Old 19-10-2016, 10:02 PM
silv (Annette)

This video astronomy thing is CRYING for a VR headset.
You know? To get the really immersive feeling during observing that you - I think - only get when looking through binoculars?

You can not get that by staring at a backlit monitor an arms length away from your eyes and with the table top, the carpet, the dog, the partner and other things being in your conscious perception all the time.

I haven't entered the realm of VR and never put on a headset, either.

But they are already working with smartphones as in: you put your smartphone INTO the headset, start an VR-enabled app -
then put the headset on and look into it.

Just imagine how THAT would feel when the feed for the headset were the actual camera feed from your telescope...

Can't be too difficult to engineer. I wonder if astro companies have something like that in their pipeline?
Old 19-10-2016, 10:08 PM
silv (Annette)

I'm glad if it doesn't exist, yet.
Would be one more ultimate thing I yearn for and can not afford.

But because I'm a masochist I just emailed the guys from Revolution.