Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 29-05-2016, 11:47 AM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV View Post
It ain't astrophotography, but its viewed in near real time. And in my light polluted Sydney skies with the moon rising at 1am
Chris if you stack a few of those you'll get a nice photo.

Actually they're better than some astro-images I've seen.

Must look very nice on screen.

Old 29-05-2016, 12:26 PM
csb (Craig)

Chris, what camera are you thinking about?

Cloudynights is a good place for user reviews of astrovideo cameras.

The dso1 gets good reviews. I really need to make time to learn how to use on faint dso's.

The dso1 & Revolution camera are both well priced.
Old 29-05-2016, 12:35 PM
ChrisV (Chris)

They are jpegs from fits files so much better on screen. And they get really nice when you go out to 4-6min stacks (which is long for video astro).

Not like astrophotos - the stuff I see in that part of the forum is gob smackingly beautiful. But for me (only been doing astronomy for 8 months now) its great being out there late at night viewing it 'near live' and watching the image form with successive 5-10sec sub in a stack. LOL about about stacking for a nice image - I'm still really crap at setting up and aligning an EQ mount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB View Post
Chris if you stack a few of those you'll get a nice photo.

Actually they're better than some astro-images I've seen.

Must look very nice on screen.

Last edited by ChrisV; 29-05-2016 at 12:38 PM. Reason: bad spelling
Old 29-05-2016, 12:46 PM
5ash (Philip)
Earthling

Video astronomy is very helpful to those like myself who have had eye operations leading to lumps of vitreous humour ( not a pun) floating in their vision. Small exit pupil views through a telescope at high magnification gives a view with moving tentacular bodies in the field. Then at the other extreme severe astigmatism causes itscown viewing problems. All of these problems are overcome with the enhanced views of a video camera and video screen. I know of lunar observers who find it helpful to draw lunar pictures using video capture devices.
Philip
Old 29-05-2016, 01:04 PM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV View Post
LOL about about stacking for a nice image - I'm still really crap at setting up and aligning an EQ mount.
Well Chris we all go through that stage, until, with a bit of practice, it all 'clicks' into place and then you're on a slippery slide.
That's the best time to take up stamp collecting...
Old 29-05-2016, 01:18 PM
ChrisV (Chris)

CSB

This was going to be short, but ...

I started with the LN300 as mentioned by Alex previously. In fact it was Alex's images that got me started with this. Ended up getting the revolution imager as I couldn't source a good LN300 camera on aliexpress etc. The LN300 in various forms uses a really sensitive 1/3" CCD chip but as we all know CCDs are being phased out by the manufacturers. These analog are great if you are just using a screen to monitor things. But if you want to put it on a computer and stretch images on the fly you have to use a frame grabber - and these are really poor resolution.

I've been on the CN-EAA forum for a while and it is really informative. But discussions there get a lot more robust than here at times.

- The great USB cameras are expensive so I went for the zwo ASI224MC - after I read Astrojedi's testing of it on that forum. It was only about $500 from Bintel (can I mention vendors?) so is also a great starter. Its reasonably sensitive. And the good thing is its really low read noise so you can stack a pile of short subs. Its still just a 1/3" chip but I use massive focal reduction (x0.33 - 0.75) for a faster image and wider FOV. And it works seamlessly with sharpcap.

- The best 'tried and tested' cameras for astro video currently are the Atik Infinity and the Starlight Express Ultrastar (or even the lodestar X2). These both have really good, easy to use software - which is a must for this stuff. They are very sensitive and have a slightly larger 1/2" format chip. They cost 3x as much as my 224, but if you have the $$ they are worth it. I'll get one of these when I've had a year or so with my 224 (or otherwise whatever is the new big thing). Check out the images in CN-EAA forum, or watch the live broadcasts on nightskiesnewtork.com.

- The current one they are getting excited about is the zwo1600. But there's not a lot of testing on it yet as only a few people in the USA have them. There's also a long thread about it here in the astrophotography forum - but I don't think anyone has actually used one yet ??

So it depends on whether you want to
1. just use a monitor - then analog camera is best.
2. Want to use a computer - then the usb cameras are better.
3. Also people use digital cameras to great effect. My son has a canon 600d which I've 'borrowed' a few times.

And with the latter, while the camera is king, its the combination of camera and software that is important. AND focal redcuers !!! I have a nice little x0.5 that came with the rev imager. But mainly use a x0.33 Meade, or Optec and vary spacing to change reduction. Yes, you get vignetting and you get coma but it don't matter for my needs on a small chip.

The rev imager is a good entry. Beware the DSO1 as of vendor issues - I won't say more, but it won't take long for you to figure out the issues on the CN forum. I mostly use the analog camera when I go down the park with just scope, camera and monitor AND at home the USB camera with computer.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by csb View Post
Chris, what camera are you thinking about?

Cloudynights is a good place for user reviews of astrovideo cameras.

The dso1 gets good reviews. I really need to make time to learn how to use on faint dso's.

The dso1 & Revolution camera are both well priced.

Last edited by ChrisV; 29-05-2016 at 01:32 PM.
Old 29-05-2016, 03:10 PM
csb (Craig)

Yes, the dso1 vendor has some delivery issues. My purchase was smooth except for a months delay in being posted - the vendor gave several lame excuses.

I like to be able to just hook up to a monitor so analogue camera instead of digital.

Last edited by csb; 29-05-2016 at 05:48 PM.
Old 31-05-2016, 12:34 AM
csb (Craig)

I've seen images taken with the Afinity camera and WOW! Although I'm not sure if the images are live screenshots.

My camera setup is:
DSO1 with bluetooth control
7" LCD monitor 800x480
Camera to monitor cable
Camera power cable
Monitor power cable

Quick n easy to setup and start viewing. I post some screenshots when I've fot the hang of camera settings. DSO's are faint and need some camera adjustments to get an image.

Beau, I got your message. You are certainly correct. Others on here would also agree. Anyway, there's not many like that on here though.

Last edited by csb; 31-05-2016 at 12:47 AM.
Old 31-05-2016, 03:03 PM
ChrisV (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB View Post
Well Chris we all go through that stage, until, with a bit of practice, it all 'clicks' into place and then you're on a slippery slide.
That's the best time to take up stamp collecting...
No way, I've got too short an attention span. And that suits video astronomy.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:34 AM
AG Hybrid (Adrian)
A Friendly Nyctophiliac

Just ordered a Revolution Imager Kit R2 + the USB connection kit so I can use it with the included 7" monitor or my Surface 3.

Ill tell you all about how awesome it is after it arrives.

Last edited by AG Hybrid; 08-07-2016 at 08:49 AM.
Old 09-07-2016, 11:01 PM
ChrisV (Chris)

Adrian

Well done. Menu controls look simpler than the old one. Enjoy !

Chris
Old 16-07-2016, 05:31 PM
AG Hybrid (Adrian)
A Friendly Nyctophiliac

Well the kit arrived. Packed beautifully and came with a bespoke case and foam cutouts. Nice! Took about 10 min to figure out how it works and to configure. But so it goes, so came the clouds. Hopefully Ill get a chance to use it next week.
Old 19-07-2016, 08:38 AM
AG Hybrid (Adrian)
A Friendly Nyctophiliac

Ok. Got a couple hours with it last night from the central west of Sydney under a near full moon. I was using the kit with my AR102 with a .5 reducer. Effective f ratio of 3.2.
I was very impressed with how well it performed. With the IR filter it cut through alot of the LP. Centaurus A showed more detail with this setup the my 12" has ever showed me at a dark sky site.
The moon is sitting in Sagittarius right now so I stayed away from that area. Exception being M4 which turned out really well. Being able to look at globulars and some galaxies in colour in the conditions is outstanding.
Old 19-07-2016, 08:43 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Ahhh, another convert,

Welcome, brother Adrian,
Old 19-07-2016, 08:53 PM
AG Hybrid (Adrian)
A Friendly Nyctophiliac

My only real criticism of the kit is that the brightness of the 7 inch screen seems to have the power of 1000 suns aaaannnnnddddd it would have been good if the power cable divider between the screen and camera were longer. Maybe twice as long.
Old 19-07-2016, 08:54 PM
AG Hybrid (Adrian)
A Friendly Nyctophiliac

All in all a fun, new endeavor to enjoy in this hobby.
Old 20-07-2016, 12:23 PM
OffGrid (Steve)

Thank you Adrian for posting re the RI.

I have been procrastinating for some time as to which EAA gear to get for an outreach in a couple of months.
Whilst I would like to get the Atik Infinity or similar ilk, it's cost and the additional cost of getting a Windows laptop just does not add up in my current financial pool.
So a question for you and any other in this space, would the Revolution Imager be compatible with my LX 90 ACF 8" goto as I understand from my research that an 'appropriate, focal reducer is a must have?

I have a digital data projector that will be image projecting means and I suspect that I may also have to deal with a brightish image.
Old 20-07-2016, 01:18 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Hi Steve,

The Revolution Imager is great with an 8" SCT like yours. I use my camera regularly with my C8.

A focal reducer is not a "must have" with SCT's. It is a big help though as the field of view given by the camera in a 2000mm focal length scope is small. A focal reducer will increase the field of view seen by the chip.

A good focal reducer to use with it is that inexpensive 1.25" 0.5X reducer that winds into the end of eyepieces like a filter - it isn't really meant for using with eyepieces, but the turn of phrase is meant as a descriptor. One thing about the reducer is the further you set it away from the sensor chip, the wider the FOV it provides, but this in turn can mean more in-travel for the camera - not such a problem with an SCT.

If you have a short tube barlow lens, you can see how you go by replacing the barlow lens itself from the tube, and replacing it with the focal reducer. The camera you fit into the barlow tube as you would an eyepiece. This would pretty much give you the widest field of view possible with an 8" SCT. Depending on what other extension tubes you have lying about, you can experiment with different combinations and see what works best.

The focal reducer I mentioned above is not an optical match for Newtonians. The image this reducer with produce with a Newt is abysmal. It will work well with refractors too, though the faster the refractor the more challenging for the focal reducer. If you are after a focal reducer for a Newtonian, Mallincam has one.

Alex.
Old 20-07-2016, 01:39 PM
MattT
Reflecting on Refracting

Quote:
Originally Posted by mental4astro View Post
Ahhh, another convert,

Welcome, brother Adrian,
Might have another in me too With a non-portable rig like mine the Revo 2 could be useful. So brother Adrian...reports please.

Whats the view like with a Achromatic Frac? Gotta a 10" Newt too.

Matt
Old 20-07-2016, 03:31 PM
ChrisV (Chris)

If you got the Rev Imager kit it comes with a x0.5 reducer. Ideal focal reduction with the small 1/3" ccd. I started with a C8. It was slow by itself but great with the FR. Plus the larger FOV was a good compromise between galaxies and other DSOs. The 6-8" SCTs are one of the most popular for EAA.

Plus you need the speed to counter field rotation on that scope.

Edit: if you wanted to go USB camera route there's the asi224 (i got one ). Much better resolution than R2 but not quite as sensitive. You'll find you might eventually go computer as stacking improves analog camera pics also. You can stretch and adjust black level live.. Also lodestar x2 (more expensive but more sensitive).

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffGrid View Post
Thank you Adrian for posting re the RI.

I have been procrastinating for some time as to which EAA gear to get for an outreach in a couple of months.
Whilst I would like to get the Atik Infinity or similar ilk, it's cost and the additional cost of getting a Windows laptop just does not add up in my current financial pool.
So a question for you and any other in this space, would the Revolution Imager be compatible with my LX 90 ACF 8" goto as I understand from my research that an 'appropriate, focal reducer is a must have?

I have a digital data projector that will be image projecting means and I suspect that I may also have to deal with a brightish image.

Last edited by ChrisV; 21-07-2016 at 10:00 PM.