Old 01-01-2023, 10:18 AM
Drac0 (Mark)

NB filter choices?

Now that I have everything else coming together, it's time to start looking at NB filters to purchase in the coming months - once the finances recover from Xmas. So after some thoughts I have come down to a few choices. I do most of my imaging from home (bortle 4.5) and occasionally from bortle 2 to 3 sites not too far away. Mostly use my 294MM on 102mm refractor. The only NB filter I have right now is a cheap 7nm 1.25", so looking at stepping up to a full set of 31mm filters.

Options I'm looking at are:

Antlia 4.5nm
Baader 3.5/4nm
Baader 6.5nm as a cheap option, maybe as a temp filler for now?
Antlia 3nm as a maybe, if I can stretch the budget that far.

Possibly buying the filters individually, not much difference in price to buying the set but will let me get going earlier.Can't afford to go with the top of the line options, so I think one of these would suit my needs. If anyone has used any of these or has other recommendations it would be great to hear.
Cheers,
Mark
Old 03-01-2023, 08:48 AM
Swarvy (Adam)

Gday Mark,

I own a set of Antlia 4.5 filters which iv had no probs with so far. Im a newbie to astrophotography and these are my first and only NB filters iv had so i cant make any comparisons.

Another thing to consider is maybe going 36mm filters. If you ever decide to get a camera with a larger sensor you would be future proofing yourself a bit.

Cheers,
Adam
Old 03-01-2023, 10:59 AM
Drac0 (Mark)

Thanks Adam. I'm leaning towards the Antlia 4.5nm, but hard to find any good comparisons between them & the Baader. As for the 36mm, I just recently had to replace a broken manual filter wheel & wanted to still be able to use the 1.25" I have so going 31mm for now, which fit what I have. No intention of changing to a larger sensor for quite some time so all good.

Cheers,
Mark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarvy View Post
Gday Mark,

I own a set of Antlia 4.5 filters which iv had no probs with so far. Im a newbie to astrophotography and these are my first and only NB filters iv had so i cant make any comparisons.

Another thing to consider is maybe going 36mm filters. If you ever decide to get a camera with a larger sensor you would be future proofing yourself a bit.

Cheers,
Adam
Old 03-01-2023, 03:50 PM
Bassnut (Fred)
Narrowfield rules!

in bortle 4.5 skies, 3nm will offer more contrast, which might matter in your case, more pop..
For Ha though, a 5-7nm filter might be preferable, it will pass NII, which for many objects will give more signal.
Old 03-01-2023, 04:42 PM
Drac0 (Mark)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassnut View Post
in bortle 4.5 skies, 3nm will offer more contrast, which might matter in your case, more pop..
For Ha though, a 5-7nm filter might be preferable, it will pass NII, which for many objects will give more signal.
That's interesting about the Ha Fred - never considered having a too narrow pass. Something to look into.

Cheers,
Mark