Old 15-11-2010, 11:46 PM
michaellxv (Michael)

Great sketch Alex, got to be one of your best. What did you use for the dark shadows, they look really good.
Old 15-11-2010, 11:56 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Ta, Michael.

The really dark shadows are done with a black felt-tip pen, followed by white paint highlights for added punch. The rest of the drawing is shared out between a 6H, HB, 2B & 7B.

I've also noticed that the attachment shows a little orangish tinge where the paint is. I'll have to look into correcting this photographic artifact.
Old 16-11-2010, 10:16 AM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

That is a stunner Alex. Very impressive indeed.

Alas, Michael, I won't be able to get to my scope tonight to have another go.

I did have a perhaps obvious thought as I posted the sketch. I naturally tend to make my lunar sketches fairly small so that hey correspond to the eyepiece view. Then they get bigger when I digitise them. It occurred to me that this minimises the control I have when I make them and maximises the inaccuracies. So I'm thinking of doing bigger sketches. Which raises the question for me - how big do others make their sketches of lunar features at the eyepiece?
Old 16-11-2010, 12:59 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)

Thanks for the nice comment, Paddy. I'm not displeased with it either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
So I'm thinking of doing bigger sketches. Which raises the question for me - how big do others make their sketches of lunar features at the eyepiece?
This question effectively askes 'how do you set the scale to a diagram'? I'll show how I go about it with a rough process on the sketch of Posidonius, following the pics numbered 1 to 3, and starting with a really hard pencil in numbers 1 & 2, like a 6H as these lines will be rubbed out as you go.

1: Have a good look at the area in question. Then squint a little to get an overall notion of the light and dark areas as this will give you the direction of the main axis of the feature to be sketched. Then you set the scale by 'boxing in' the main feature- here a crater. The rest of the sketch will follow this very scale.

2: Next position the other major feature along the axis in proportion to the principle one. Then roughly mark the other main craters and any significant BLACK features, here a mountain ridge.

From here, rub out any lines that are now redundant as you need to.

3: Start shading in the black shading, being careful to note the fine lines that are in black. This takes time as most of the detail sits here. Use no harder pencil than 2B as these need to be definite. The rest of the softer features can then be filled in. Write any notes you like with 6H pencil that will help remind of details.

Back in the house, these black features I went over with a black felt-tip pen. Make sure it is a permanent marker because if you go over the highlights with white paint the ink may bleed. The softer shading is also worked on. Highlights with white paint need to be done with a very fine brush and with next to no excess water in its bristles or the page will warp.

I hope this makes sense.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (posidonius process 001.jpg)
26.5 KB100 views
Click for full-size image (posidonius process 002.jpg)
190.4 KB104 views
Click for full-size image (posidonius process 003.jpg)
36.5 KB108 views
Old 16-11-2010, 06:20 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Thanks Alex, that's a very informative guide to laying out your sketch. I reckon it would be worth putting on the sketching tips forum. I haven't done anything like that so far - just by eye working out roughly where things will go. Putting marks for an axis and boxes for main object would be very useful. I am still very curious about the physical size of the sketch that you've ended up with.
Old 16-11-2010, 06:21 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mental4astro View Post
I'm not displeased with it either.
I would be ecstatic if I could do a sketch 1/4 as good as yours.
Old 16-11-2010, 08:44 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Another Sketch of the Day for Alex

Congratulations also Alex on another Astronomy Sketch of the Day with your rendition of Posidonius!

http://www.asod.info/?p=4314
Old 16-11-2010, 10:38 PM
michaellxv (Michael)

Congratulation Alex, and well deserved too.

On the subject of scale, I have been using a standard observing template but have had similar thoughts that for Lunar work I should ditch this and go which a blank sheet of A4.

A lot of what I am reading sugests that a rough drawing and notes at the EP and then finish off inside where you can see could be the way to go.
Old 19-11-2010, 08:54 PM
michaellxv (Michael)

Clavius

Finally got out to have a go at Clavius.

I started early before sunset even. As it gradually got dark I could see more details coming out. Didn't really get the overall shape right with this one so not particularly happy with it.

So went back for more. This time I had to contest with the clouds starting to come in. As a result did not get quite as much detail on the page but the overall shape is better.

I think I completely under estimated the complexity of this beast when I picked it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (2010-11-17-Clavius-1-p.jpg)
187.8 KB118 views
Click for full-size image (2010-11-17-Clavius-2-p.jpg)
158.1 KB106 views
Old 19-11-2010, 11:09 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)

Nicely done, Michael. Neat 'golf ball' you've layed down!

Did you notice the faint highlight of the leading rim of the craters that first catch the rays of the sun? That little 'flare up' really makes the 'black' of the crater really stand out, and gives the craters lift and volume.

Yes, Clavius is heavily potmarked, but I don't think any more or less detailed than any other feature. I think it's more a case of 'mistaken complexity', for once we actually sit down to pick over a feature, all it's little nooks and crannies suddenly reveal themselves.

That's what I found with Posidonius. Once I started marking down the detail, it was very much a case of "OMG, look at all that filigree work! I'll be here all bloody night." Two hours later...

I like it, mate! Good sketch.
Old 21-11-2010, 12:23 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)

A near full Moon sketch

Hi all,

We had the clearest night in ages here in Sydney, and I wasn't about to let a whee full Moon spoil the occasion. So I pulled out my 8" f/4 scope for a quick sketch. I did this sketch quickly over an hour. Would drive one to drink to make it a more detailed sketch (he says savouring a cooling Ale!).

I got a neat surprise too! For a fleating moment, I saw a satellite cross through my field of view. Not for the first time, BUT it was the first time it transited across the Moon's face!!!

At first I thought it was a baloon, but since when does a baloon have spiky bits coming off it, and be very angular in shape! Cool bananas, !

Details on gear:

Scope: 8" f/4 newtonian, dob
EP: Edmund Scientific RKE 28mm, 29X
Filters: 2X polarising filters
Media: China graph pencil & graphite on black paper
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (near full Moon 002.jpg)
82.7 KB120 views
Old 21-11-2010, 12:29 AM
michaellxv (Michael)

Quote:
Nicely done, Michael. Neat 'golf ball' you've layed down!

Did you notice the faint highlight of the leading rim of the craters that first catch the rays of the sun? That little 'flare up' really makes the 'black' of the crater really stand out, and gives the craters lift and volume.

Yes, Clavius is heavily potmarked, but I don't think any more or less detailed than any other feature. I think it's more a case of 'mistaken complexity', for once we actually sit down to pick over a feature, all it's little nooks and crannies suddenly reveal themselves.

That's what I found with Posidonius. Once I started marking down the detail, it was very much a case of "OMG, look at all that filigree work! I'll be here all bloody night." Two hours later...

I like it, mate! Good sketch.
I started on a repro last night. Started from scratch, just refering to my original sketches inside. Not done yet.
Old 21-11-2010, 12:30 AM
michaellxv (Michael)

Quote:
Hi all,

We had the clearest night in ages here in Sydney, and I wasn't about to let a whee full Moon spoil the occasion. So I pulled out my 8" f/4 scope for a quick sketch. I did this sketch quickly over an hour. Would drive one to drink to make it a more detailed sketch (he says savouring a cooling Ale!).

I got a neat surprise too! For a fleating moment, I saw a satellite cross through my field of view. Not for the first time, BUT it was the first time it transited across the Moon's face!!!

At first I thought it was a baloon, but since when does a baloon have spiky bits coming off it, and be very angular in shape! Cool bananas, !

Details on gear:

Scope: 8" f/4 newtonian, dob
EP: Edmund Scientific RKE 28mm, 29X
Filters: 2X polarising filters
Media: China graph pencil & graphite on black paper
You are getting adventurous. I see another ASOD coming. Well done.
Old 22-11-2010, 10:40 AM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Very nice sketch Michael.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaellxv View Post
I think I completely under estimated the complexity of this beast when I picked it.
I think so. I have to also agree with Alex that they all start looking so complex when I try to sketch them. So much detail when you really look. I think it was a great choice and I hope to have another crack at it when the terminator is near and the clouds are far.
Old 25-11-2010, 05:06 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaellxv View Post
You are getting adventurous. I see another ASOD coming. Well done.
Michael, you're psychic:

http://www.asod.info/?p=4385

Woohoooo!
Old 25-11-2010, 10:12 PM
michaellxv (Michael)

Quote:
Michael, you're psychic:

http://www.asod.info/?p=4385

Woohoooo!
Congratulations.
Old 30-11-2010, 09:41 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)

Next target suggestion:

The area between the crater Plato and east through to the Alpine Valley?

Crater, valley or all of it. Some choice in features. What do you think?

http://www.lunarrepublic.com/atlas/sections/a2.shtml
Old 04-12-2010, 06:17 AM
Geoff Mc (Geoff McNamara)

Good suggestion. I'll be in it if the sky ever clears. I haven't drawn in years, but have been looking closely at the Moon lately using the "Lunar 100" list as a guide. There are so many subtle features not seen by casual observers.

Geoff Mc
Old 11-12-2010, 10:23 PM
Geoff Mc (Geoff McNamara)

Theophilus

Did anyone else see Theophilus tonight (Saturday)? It was right on the terminator, and the central peak was a bright pinpoint in the middle of an otherwise black disk surrounded by a bright, completely illuminated rim. The terminator bisected the rim, so that half of it was set against darkness. Beautiful.

This is may be an unusual crater in that the central peak is higher than the rim (1400m peak; 1200m rim). There can't be many other craters that have this arrangement, and they may also show up as spectacular as this one.

Geoff Mc
Old 11-12-2010, 10:36 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)

Alas not me.

Might be a struggle do get the sketch I want done in the next couple of days too. Tonight is clear, but a full day in the sun sees me with nothing much left in the gas tank for tonight.

Maybe, just maybe, tomorrow night. Here's hoping.