Old 21-10-2010, 08:34 PM
michaellxv (Michael)

Schickard 20-10-2010

Last night the mozzies and I went out for a look at the moon. The sky seemed clear and I started with the moon filter in, by the end some thin cloud was coming across and I had to take the filter out.

For this sketch I was trying to stay focussed on one area rather than being drawn to all the surrounding details. I also wanted to have a go at some of the different shading. I also made some notes as I went which helped.

20-10-10 10:50 - 11:35 UTC
Nexstar 80gtl, 10mm, 3x barlow. 270X
Seeing good at the start, degraded as light cloud came in.
Moon waxing gibbous 93%
Schickard.

An elongated crater, egg shape in appearance. Generaly smooth lava filled floor, no central peak. The variation in shading across the floor gives away the curvature of the moon. The wall to the south is broken by 2 or 3 impacts. A small valley through the east wall looks to line up with a small impact inside. The west wall looks very steep. A long black shadow extending outside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (2010-10-20-Schickard-p1.jpg)
172.4 KB22 views
Old 21-10-2010, 08:55 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Very nice, Michael.

Looks like there is a tall ridge or deep depression to make the long dark shadow. Funny enough, I looked at your sketch before your note, and that is the one feature that really caught my attention. Mmm, fault line?
Old 21-10-2010, 09:11 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Great sketch Micheal. And interesting to compare to mine from the same night. I notice that you saw quite a few more small craterlets than I did, I presume as you were using a higher magnification. We seem to have both caught the very interesting contour on the western side. I also noted the very dark patch on the eastern/terminator side, but couldn't quite render it the way you have. We also seem to have mirror image sketches but were both using refractors. Were you using a diagonal?

Anyway, thanks for posting. It's a great opportunity to get a different take on it. Maybe we could have a lunar sketching target for next month. It might pay to pick a date so we all have the same terminator placement.
Old 21-10-2010, 09:55 PM
pgc hunter

Nice sketch there Micheal, I admire you who do lunar sketches, it is a really complex subject.
Old 21-10-2010, 09:55 PM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

Great work there Michael! Great report on detail too! I'm half asleep when I came to the computer and when I started reading it, it took me on a spooky journey, towards the end I started to get the shivers.
Old 21-10-2010, 10:02 PM
michaellxv (Michael)

Thanks Alex, I had the impression that it was a high ridge casting the shadow, but there could also be a depression making it longer.

Paddy, yes I was using a diagonal so that could account for the mirror image. It did come out quite an interesting shape didn't it. Not at all round like you think of.

That would be a great idea to have a lunar sketching target. It's very interesting to see what others come up with. Might have to target weekends and have one for early in the month and one later.
Old 21-10-2010, 10:08 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

How about rather than a date for the Moon as a target, as this can be awkward, a sketch of the moon pre first quater? Moon, comet, and a few other bits and pieces. Will make for a very interesting November Challenge.
Old 21-10-2010, 10:19 PM
michaellxv (Michael)

The problem is that lunar features litterally change while you are watching. The idea is to sketch the same feature under as close a possible to the same conditions. Agree, it could be difficult to organise.