Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 09-09-2019, 06:48 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Are you sure some of those burning marijuana crops around you aren't having an influence Alex?
Old 09-09-2019, 07:18 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Are you sure some of those burning marijuana crops around you aren't having an influence Alex?
There is not much of it grown here these days Lewis as far as I know.

The indoor growing has changed the way it's done...Bush weed is a thing of the past I think ..but there are at least two ice labs I know about..I shouldn't but I ain't stupid ...that's why I don't like going near the old place..ice freaks are bad news. Crazy lady is not an ice freak that's why they don't want her around..it's sinister the way they group..not safe certainly for me...they know how I feel about that evil stuff.

Once you could go walkies and find a patch...I found two patches at the back of the old place when I first went up there twenty years ago ...and worked out who it was cause I would hear his quad ...And went and told him to move it or I would destroy it.

He moved it and I was happy.
Alex
Old 10-09-2019, 05:32 AM
sharpiel

Alex, you know the best thing about being an ice addict? It's always only 2 sleeps till Christmas!

Lewis, try watching Battlefield Earth starring John Travolta... Terrible.
Old 10-09-2019, 06:14 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

All fiction should be banned.

It is a lie conditioning folk to accept other bigger lies about reality that would stand out as nonsense if not swimming around in a world full of fantasy.

There are many stories that are real and worth telling so why the need for fiction.

Fiction exists only because some writer who has no real life or experience has to make up stuff...you can't tell me that there is not enough real stories about cops, war and love that requires the addition of fantasy.

I know I am an idiot but imagine a world where only the truth was published and folk became more concerned about living in reality.

Alex
Old 10-09-2019, 06:39 AM
sharpiel

Alex it's well known that many of today's scientists and astronauts and physicists grew up reading science fiction from the masters of yesteryear.

They were inspired to build and attempt and do the things they read about in fiction books.

Sorry Lewis. Thread off topic...

Last edited by sharpiel; 10-09-2019 at 06:49 AM.
Old 10-09-2019, 07:04 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Fiction leads to aspirations of what might and can be, if we make it happen.
Old 10-09-2019, 07:46 AM
dikman (Richard)

Lewis - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1183733/

Now, I've always been an SF fan, and will turn a blind eye (within reason) to the obvious faults in a movie, but this one is bad.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:19 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpiel View Post
Alex it's well known that many of today's scientists and astronauts and physicists grew up reading science fiction from the masters of yesteryear.

They were inspired to build and attempt and do the things they read about in fiction books.

Sorry Lewis. Thread off topic...

Hi Les
I have no doubt that many clever people have grown up on a diet of fiction..however these folk you refer to have wonderful minds and to suggest that they could not have developed ideas without prompting from folk who actually lead ( generally ) dismal lives devoid of experience of real life perhaps under estimates their capabilities...

Was Tesla inspired by fiction to deliver to us the modern world...I don't know so perhaps he to needed inspiration from folk that he probably would not have even talked to in the real world.

Did Dr Albert Einstein grow up on a diet of fiction or was his creativity enhanced due to the absence of fiction.

As always humans defend what is there even though clear thought will show that many things we include as "normal" really are most detrimental.

I don't think any of my ideas have been inspired by fiction as I don't read it and rarely watch fiction, certainly if by myself I don't watch it...heck my life beats most tales of fiction and it has not been anything exceptional.

It's like the cruelty of fishing Les..the mob thinks it's cool and so never actually think about a world free of that cruelty.

As I said look at fiction writers..they write fiction because of the lack luster lives they lead..they write about things they can only imagine all made up and the closest they get to experience is to research what the experience of others tells them and they can steal for their own invention.

Was the steam engine inspired by a work of fiction, the internal combustion engine and I wonder if Columbus was inspired by a childhood fairy tale to work upon his mission to reach India by another way.

But we do have folk working on skate board like in the movie and folk developing invisibility cloaks ..clearly the folk inspired here have been corrupted else they may have decided to work on more beneficial projects ...And there are many we can put before levitating skate boards and invisibility cloaks...light sabres for one.

Why put any mush in a child's head or a adult ..it is demeaning, unproductive and un necessary. Look at the crap most folk believe is real when clearly it is an unevidenced unsupported fairey tale that would come crashing down if they simply took time to study a drop of history or to study science.
Where does superstition come from?.it is a sinister and terrible fiction... And would the world not be a far far better place without made up superstition.
Alex

Quote:
Fiction leads to aspirations of what might and can be, if we make it happen.
Lewis if you or others need fiction for inspiration that is very sad.

I think you may find that the movers and shakers of the world really don't need to follow as they lead...perhaps we can make a list of things inspired by fiction and those that were not as that would be a good start to test the hypothesis that fiction is some how beneficial or reading between the lines somehow necessary to ensure humans have a sourse for their creativity.

I am confident that my proposition will stand out as being the most reasonable.
Alex

Last edited by RB; 08-10-2019 at 08:00 PM.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:36 AM
JohnF (John)

Not a big Movie fan except for the Movie, "The gods must be Crazy" and its equal, "the gods must be crazy II."
Old 10-09-2019, 08:37 AM
sharpiel

Everything with people is a spectrum. People will derive inspiration from many sources. Often need drives inspiration and invention. Sometimes dreams drive inspiration and invention. Sometimes invention is merely innovation building upon inventions past. I'd imagine need drives many inventions. And return on investment. Money.

The Scottish nation has invented many great things. Perhaps being home during long snowed-in winter months drove inspiration...

I wonder whether nomadic tribes who never build libraries have the same ratio of inventions to sedentary nations. Perhaps writing down as recording of scientific advances is critical to inventions of the future. And dreams... Back to fiction in a round about way.

I can't answer for all the inventions in history. And only you can say where your own inspiration comes from. No doubt all inspirations will birth from the vast spectrum of human experiences. Yours included.

To return to my original point though, from interviews I've seen and read I can recount that fiction has inspired some of the inspirations and inventions we enjoy today.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:47 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

As I said we should make a list..a new thread perhaps..not to make any point but to share trivia on what lead to this or that..did you know an Australian woman used her sewing machine to put the holes we take for granted on postage stamp sheets to make individual separation easy..that sort of thing.
Alex
Old 10-09-2019, 08:50 AM
sharpiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
As I said we should make a list..a new thread perhaps..not to make any point but to share trivia on what lead to this or that..did you know an Australian woman used her sewing machine to put the holes we take for granted on postage stamp sheets to make individual separation easy..that sort of thing.
Alex
Do as you're inspired to do Alex
Old 10-09-2019, 06:07 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Lewis if you or others need fiction for inspiration that is very sad.

I think you may find that the movers and shakers of the world really don't need to follow as they lead...perhaps we can make a list of things inspired by fiction and those that were not as that would be a good start to test the hypothesis that fiction is some how beneficial or reading between the lines somehow necessary to ensure humans have a sourse for their creativity.

I am confident that my proposition will stand out as being the most reasonable.
Alex
Really Alex?

Ibid: "The novel [The War of the Worlds by H.G Wells] has even influenced the work of scientists, notably Robert H. Goddard, who, inspired by the book, invented both the liquid fuelled rocket and multistage rocket, which resulted in the Apollo 11 Moon landing 71 years later" (http://genesismission.jpl.nasa.gov/p...es/goddard.pdf)

Sad? I'd say glorious.
Old 10-09-2019, 06:38 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Really Alex?

Ibid: "The novel [The War of the Worlds by H.G Wells] has even influenced the work of scientists, notably Robert H. Goddard, who, inspired by the book, invented both the liquid fuelled rocket and multistage rocket, which resulted in the Apollo 11 Moon landing 71 years later" (http://genesismission.jpl.nasa.gov/p...es/goddard.pdf)

Sad? I'd say glorious.
The article is no more than heresay evidence and although I thank you for going to the trouble of finding something to counter what I suggest I feel that the statement that his interest in planets was somehow sparked by Wells to be dubious and perhaps something invented by the journalist ..and many journalists are difficult to differentiate from fiction writers ...indeed many journalists become fiction writers, but we should remember just because we find something is in print does not mean it is reliable.

Here is some irony for you..I topped the whole fifth year (final hear) in science (98.5%) and my prize was ..you guessed it "War of the Worlds" by H.G.Wells...maybe that is why I have the obsession that we must build battle stars to patrol the outer Solar System.

Alex