Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 30-08-2019, 04:05 PM
JohnF (John)

Alex, see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDvaPzg32W8
Old 30-08-2019, 04:09 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

My guess would be 50 billion cause you need to work in inflation...so what would probably be 12 billion would grow to fifty in 20 years.
But they probably did not have to worry about inflation back then.

Anyone got a number?
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
Thanks John I have watched it once but will watch it again as I am sortta doing something else and can already see that this requires my undivided attention.
Thanks I really do appreciate you backing up your statement..anyways I will get back to you. In the mean time do you want to put in a quote to build a pyramid...I was going to cost it using bessa cement bricks for a ruff idea
Alex

He certainly speculated that we could have been somehow created by another species...
But I strongly suspect that any qualification he put upon that speculation was probably edited out..the guy who followed is a loon and in any event all I wanted to see was Dawkins saying what you said he said...
Alex

Quote:
All this is a part of what you said on another thread.

Alex it is interesting to look at ancient Statues of the Egyptian creator god named "Ptah."

You might not know that at least some ancient statues of Ptah do show him with serpent scales, and with wings wrapped around him, covering his body.

Now I definitely do not believe that the creator god was a winged serpent, but around the whole world winged Serpent creator gods are widely found.

. The winged serpent worship is found in absolutely every continent of the world, Antartica of course being the exception.

I can show you why, but that would require me to give a number of quotes from a certain book.
Already know all about all that stuff and I don't think I mentioned I have read cover to cover the group of books you are thinking of... if you know about that sort of thing why do you ignore the video that I suggested..it really explains everything but unfortunately indicates myth abounds based on in effect Sun worship.

I find all these stories interesting nevertheless.

Alex

Quote:
Alex, just did a google search. Not mentioning Aliens I found this. may have been getting Richard Hawkins mixed up with Dr, Davies, Paul C.W. the Physicist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panspermia
Thank you John, I am reasonably familiar with this concept but one must remember that just like many other ideas that are presented without evidence they all remain speculation.

I think one must be able to recognise when even scientists are speculating.
The ancients speculated with the knowledge they had on hand, which I note was minimal and amounts to nothing more than superstition.

Science if pushed can only give an honest answer..which is..we do not know..how ever it has explained conclusively the evolution of species beyond all doubt supporting their conclusions with hard evidence and frankly I really believe such supported reasoning wins hands down over a collection of myths put together by nameless authors none of whom were in any way informed nor did they do any science to support their claims..as mentioned here earlier..to the effect..extrodinary claims require extrodinary evidence and of course there is none..zip..nothing..And irrespective of holding a warm fuzzy feeling as to how one may wish reality to be, finally, it is the evidence offered in support that gives us our most plausible view of reality. I know what the book means to folk who grasp it in the hope that it holds the answers but unfortunately such folk fail to properly consider the real and readily available evidence which unfortunately for them shows they are not only mistaken but horribly wrong.
Now I have already said I have problems with the big bang theory and my main objection is who came up with the idea and their need to somehow establish a point of creation..the big bang however realises that even with all the scientific minds addressing the matter they are unable to establish a creation point. The big bang deals only with the evolution of the universe and does not deal with its creation..Now if modern day scientists can not find creation I am damn sure that an un named unqualified ancient can not do any better.

Of course some folk think they have the answers but fail to realise they have no evidence to support their belief.
Now for me I really do think that a modern day scientist can get us closer to understanding the evolution of species using real science and multiple observations in support than can someone un named unqualified coming at the problem from a perspective of fundamental Sun worship that seeks to personify the Sun (the original god) with some obscure unestablished person using heresay and guess work...nevertheless I still think about things rather than abdicate rational thought to the babbling of folk who thought illness comes from demons, that slavery is cool or that you can beat your wife so long as you don't use a stick with a diameter larger than your finger...it's ancient superstitious stuff mate and a little investigation will show that to be undeniable.
You seem like a nice chap but your mind is closed to the reality available to you...And perhaps if you say you wish to find truth that you look for it outside your book so as to avoid a non productive exercise in circular reasoning.
To deny evolution is simply wrong as the evidence comes from multiple directions and is conclusive...Now to hold on after being shown real facts is just not going to allow one to reach enlightenment.
Alex

John I looked at the video again and I do not think it is unreasonable to conclude that Dawkins said more, which I presume would be a qualification as to the speculation he engaged in, and it appears that what he said was edited out.
Alex

I only today found out about these...it's a great day when you learn about something major that you had never heard about.
Why people have this desire to build tombs is something I don't understand.

https://youtu.be/QkNCoW7XK6k

Alex

Who would have thought that Japan had the biggest tomb in the world as shown it the video.
Bigger than the pyramids (assuming they are tombs for the purpose of comparison) and even bigger than that Chinese complex where they found the terracotta army.
Alex

Last edited by RB; 10-10-2019 at 12:58 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 01:27 PM
JohnF (John)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Of course some folk think they have the answers but fail to realise they have no evidence to support their belief.
Now for me I really do think that a modern day scientist can get us closer to understanding the evolution of species using real science and multiple observations in support than can someone un named unqualified coming at the problem from a perspective of fundamental Sun worship that seeks to personify the Sun (the original god) with some obscure unestablished person using heresay and guess work...nevertheless I still think about things rather than abdicate rational thought to the babbling of folk who thought illness comes from demons, that slavery is cool or that you can beat your wife so long as you don't use a stick with a diameter larger than your finger...it's ancient superstitious stuff mate and a little investigation will show that to be undeniable.
You seem like a nice chap but your mind is closed to the reality available to you...And perhaps if you say you wish to find truth that you look for it outside your book so as to avoid a non productive exercise in circular reasoning.
To deny evolution is simply wrong as the evidence comes from multiple directions and is conclusive...Now to hold on after being shown real facts is just not going to allow one to reach enlightenment.
Alex
Alex, Look at the Videos by Professor Walther Veith on Creation -- think these should be on YouTube. If not I am willing to send you a copy.

Professor Veith was a Professor of Biology at University of Western Cape, South Africa, and was an Ardent Evolutionist. But he was confronted by the Evidence, and so changed his mind based on the Evidence, causing him many problems from all the other Professors. He has health and other series on Prophecy, but I am talking about you watching his creation series.

Quote:
Who would have thought that Japan had the biggest tomb in the world as shown it the video.
Bigger than the pyramids (assuming they are tombs for the purpose of comparison) and even bigger than that Chinese complex where they found the terracotta army.
Alex
I did read some years ago that there is a gigantic Pyramid in china, that dwarfs every other Pyramid in the world. So perhaps the biggest tomb has not yet been Excavated.

Last edited by RB; 10-10-2019 at 01:01 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 03:59 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Alex, Look at the Videos by Professor Walther Veith on Creation -- think these should be on YouTube. If not I am willing to send you a copy.

Professor Veith was a Professor of Biology at University of Western Cape, South Africa, and was an Ardent Evolutionist. But he was confronted by the Evidence, and so changed his mind based on the Evidence, causing him many problems from all the other Professors. He has health and other series on Prophecy, but I am talking about you watching his creation series.
I wonder where he found his evidence Not science..if he found evidence and was fairdincum he would write a paper and get evolution thrown out.. an I ask was there a paper?...

I will look at yours if you look at mine...I proceed with an open mind and look at all the evidence and I look forward to hearing what your mate says for himself...who knows maybe he has a better scientific model capable of making repeatable testable predictions.

Evolution is a fact to those who build reality on evidence ...and not a fact to those who rely upon ancient works of literature to be reliable sources of science...hint ancient works of literature do not contain science..at all..nil..zip..nothing...

In any event there can be no creation as the universe is eternal..it has always been there in one form or another....no start..no finish..laws of energy and all that...so there was no point of creation and so no one gets to claim that job. Even the big bang has the idea that the universe was a hot dense something and certainly not nothing as so many ignorant folk proclaim...

Prophesy?...why not go for what science demands...testable repeatable predictions that are very specific such that they are in no way open to interpretation and the subjective belief of whoever is making the prediction. It is just so very exact and for it to be science it always has to be 100% correct..always..no questions if it meant this or that..always 100% correct..think a out that and compare it to the proposition you feel is useful...one is fact the other is so wishy washy it is useless.

I do not I tend to discuss religion but some qualification seems appropriate here.. I fear that you think science is somehow like religion and that they are somehow alternatives to each other ...they certainly are not..not in the same world. To do so is like comparing a TV with a brick ...both invented by men ..as is science and religion.. and please note science gave us both the TV and the brick.

Science throws out mistakes and moves forward to seek better understanding and knowledge..it is not stuck in the past and holds onto dogma that becomes outdated and proven wrong... Science does not need to attack anything as it merely presents scientific models that work...where would we be without science.. Well not on the net and still attempting to drive out demons that were once blamed for illness whereas science shows what is actually causing sickness and because of that able to successfully treat things that in the past killed millions.

I like purity and truth that's why I go with science...

Your mate who went against evolution can not..I say can not..have used science to reject it as the science has been tested and there are multiple sides ..all beyond doubt and certainly way past reliance upon campfire musings of thousands of years ago from people who did not even know where the Sun went at night ...yes they were that ignorant so one wonders why anyone would bother with any of their camp fire stories.

Alex

Quote:
I did read some years ago that there is a gigantic Pyramid in china, that dwarfs every other Pyramid in the world. So perhaps the biggest tomb has not yet been Excavated.
There are many pyramids in China but so far Japan holds bragging rights. Look it up you will be surprised...And one must wonder why pyramids were world wide.
Alex

Last edited by RB; 10-10-2019 at 12:57 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:50 PM
dikman (Richard)

Not quite world-wide, none in Australia.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:12 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dikman View Post
Not quite world-wide, none in Australia.
Yes there is..up the New England...recent but a pyramid nevertheless...it is used or was used as a planetarium I think.

Across the road from my old place a hippy built a huge pyramid...but it burnt down in the 2002 Bush fires...he was happy cause he cleaned up on the insurance and for the first time in his life had money that he could explain where it came from.

I have often thought of building one and drew many plans ..the big advantage is they can be made to be most resistant to fire...which makes me wonder why the one across the road caught fire

I do wonder why they appeared all over..maybe everyone formed the idea independently...maybe not.

Alex

Quote:

Have looked..remember that problem I pointed out about circular reasoning..I would use this guy as perhaps one of the best examples out there...it's the old story..you can't win an arguement against belief using facts, observation and logic.

Truth always come second to belief, facts pushed aside in favour of superstition...I see a problem and it does not lay with the scientific method.

These people, your good intentioned but hopelessly uninformed professor, never look at facts or employ the scientific method and if they lose an arguement which is the only option that we can expect...that is if reality is allowed a seat at the table, they merely think the other side failed to understand the point they think they have made. The only aspect they demonstrate is their inability to employ any reasoning other that a unproductive circular reasoning usually attacking statement of their own creation... they never offer facts just some one liner made up by someone who could not tell you where the Sun went at night. It is sad that one must call upon goat herders from thousands of years ago to be able to offer a response to very simple propositions...it's so much like pressure selling..if the buyer has this objection you say this...example..buyer says I had a bad experience with one of your staff...salesman..who was that person..buyer Mr X..oh we fired Mr X so you won't have that problem again...try it..I can give you the list...standard responses to frequently raised objects..is that a surprise..who would have though as much.

Still John you were able to show a video where Dawkins seemed to say something I did not expect...so I ask..did the professor use real evidence to find evolution was wrong..I mean did he use science or did he simply find an appropriate passage of his choice in his collection of literature from the bronze age when folk did not know where the Sun went at night?

As a generalisation I find folk who reject evolution actually do not even know what it says opting for a poorly constructed straw man that they attack rather than actually seeking an intelligent discussion on the actual subject.

Look a quick Google and examination of the real support for evolution is all you need to do and if you at least study and understand what it really says you can probably claim to be the first opponent of the theory that has taken time to see what is involved...Now I could give you a link but think just how exciting you may find doing actual research on the matter could be.

Alex

Last edited by RB; 10-10-2019 at 12:57 PM.
Old 03-09-2019, 08:04 AM
dikman (Richard)

Alex, I was referring to ye olde, built-by-the-ancients pyramids - which I'm sure you knew.

Simple fact is there's no evidence in Oz for any ancient civilisations.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:10 AM
julianh72 (Julian)

Quote:
Yes there is..up the New England...recent but a pyramid nevertheless...it is used or was used as a planetarium I think.
The Ballandean Pyramid was built a few years ago (early 2000s, I think) using the granite rocks that were removed while preparing the land for a new vineyard (which is now not being used). It is about 30 metres square and fifteen metres high. It can be seen from the New England Highway, a few kilometres north of the New South Wales border.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballandean_Pyramid

It was never used as an observatory, and it is not (legally) accessible to the public, but you can approach quite close on Jacobsen's Road.

There is however a BnB with an impressive observatory (with an 18" reflector among other telescopes) 2 kilometres away in Ballandean village - Twinstar Guesthouse:
http://www.twinstarguesthouse.com/

As far as i know, the owner of Twinstar has no relationship with the pyramid.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:37 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianh72 View Post
The Ballandean Pyramid was built a few years ago (early 2000s, I think) using the granite rocks that were removed while preparing the land for a new vineyard (which is now not being used). It is about 30 metres square and fifteen metres high. It can be seen from the New England Highway, a few kilometres north of the New South Wales border.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballandean_Pyramid

It was never used as an observatory, and it is not (legally) accessible to the public, but you can approach quite close on Jacobsen's Road.

There is however a BnB with an impressive observatory (with an 18" reflector among other telescopes) 2 kilometres away in Ballandean village - Twinstar Guesthouse:
http://www.twinstarguesthouse.com/

As far as i know, the owner of Twinstar has no relationship with the pyramid.
Thanks Julian that is very interesting.

Alex