Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Solar System
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22-06-2010, 07:43 PM
SkyViking (Rolf)

Animation of dwarf planet Ceres

Hi all, last week I imaged dwarf planet Ceres near opposition in Sagittarius. Later when processing the data I realised how much it had moved across the sky during just a little over 15 minutes.
While imaging, I didn't notice its motion from frame to frame (each frame was 15.5 seconds), but it turns out this little fellow is moving like a speeding bullet!

I have created an image from the data, as well as a HD movie which shows the motion. Both are available here: http://www.pbase.com/image/125830681

Image details:
Taken on 17/06/2010 with 10" Newtonian f/5 and ToUCam Pro SC1.
66 x 15.5 s with IR block filter.

About Ceres:
Ceres is the largest body in the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter, having a diameter of 950 kms. It completes an orbit in 4.6 years and has a rotational period of 9 hours and 4 minutes.
At a maximum magnitude of 6.8 Ceres is not visible to the naked eye, unless perhaps viewed under exceptionally dark skies. It was discovered in 1801 by the italian Giuseppe Piazzi.
It is thought that Ceres is likely a surviving protoplanet which formed 4.57 billion years ago in the asteroid belt. While the majority of inner solar system protoplanets (including all lunar- to Mars-sized bodies) either merged with other protoplanets to form terrestrial planets or were ejected from the Solar System by Jupiter, Ceres is believed to have survived relatively intact. The NASA Dawn space probe is currently en route to explore both Vesta in 2011 and Ceres in 2015.

Hope you enjoy! All comments critique etc welcome.

Regards,
Rolf
Old 22-06-2010, 08:07 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Nice work Rolf! The animation looks very smooth and I was astonished at how much Ceres appeared to move against the background stars in such a short time.

Did you have to fit a piece of welding glass over the Toucam to prevent the chip burning out with such a bright object! LOL!

Nice write up too.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 23-06-2010, 12:43 AM
JD2439975 (Justin)
Cloud hater

Nice one Rolf, would be nice to get Ceres passing close to Mars or Jupiter, they'd both motor against the sky.

Haven't got into the minor planets, comets & asteroids side of things yet...my god you'd need 365 nights a year of clear skies & an ability to go without sleep to capture all the joys there are out there.