Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 17-01-2021, 09:27 PM
zzchaozz

Using Temma driver for Takahashi mount

Hello, this issue keeps bugging me for nights and I don't know if anyone has the same issue as mine or not.

- I'm using the Temma by Takahashi ASCOM Driver to control my EM-400 Temma2 mount.
- Fire up everything, the first position of the mount is pointing to Pole with CW down.
- Connected to the mount, platesolved and synced.
- Mount reported position correctly on TheSkyx. Everything just works. Good
- However, there are some off chance, the mount driver reported back as Scope Pointing East and Side of Pier (SOP) Pointing East. As this time, the mount thinks it is in Northern Hemisphere and when I go-to a star, it goes backward.
- This happens very randomly, doesnt have any ruleset or anything at all.
- Sometimes, the mount driver reports SOP correctly but then move backward, like it is in Nothern Hemisphere too.

Does anyone has this issue before? I'm very mad and annoying to the point of, might be, change to a different mount. My old EQ6 is more reliable than this, but I sold it away already (hahaha).
Old 18-01-2021, 10:09 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

I can't comment on it running backwards (Except to ask, have you got your observatory location set correctly?) but is your first goto at all accurate? We had 17 kinds of strife with a friends NJP until we worked out that despite the driver documentation specifying counterweights down, aimed at the pole, the initial position on connection to the mount was actually counterweights down, pointed (From memory) at 270 degrees (Rather than 180)
Old 18-01-2021, 11:37 AM
Wilso

Try having the counterweights on the eastern side and the scope on the western side pointing east before start up.
I read somewhere that this is the start position
Hope this helps
Old 18-01-2021, 02:55 PM
gregbradley

Temma 2 requires you to hold a few buttons down on the little hand controller when powering up so the mount knows its in the Southern Hemisphere. Old Japanese type user interface where you hold something down whilst clicking.

Once you get past these types of initial confusions (and they happen with most gear) you'll be very happy with the mount's performance so its worth pressing on and through.

Download the manual and it will be in there. I forget which 2 buttons you hold down, I think its the top 2.

Chuck Faranda has a Temma 2 driver as well. That is the one I used to use.

https://ascom-temma-telescope-driver...ormer.com/6.0/

A lot of mounts are northern hemisphere-centric and its happened to me several times. Some of the better ones have a physical switch for northern or southern hemisphere.

I just found a Temma manual for the EM200 (same controller). Look at page 29. It looks like you need to reverse the drives using the hand controller.

https://www.astronomy-electronics-ce...20Temma-2M.pdf

Boy, what a crappy manual. Its all Northern Hemisphere oriented. You could always call Claude in Adelaide.

Greg.

Last edited by gregbradley; 18-01-2021 at 03:13 PM.
Old 19-01-2021, 02:52 PM
zzchaozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Temma 2 requires you to hold a few buttons down on the little hand controller when powering up so the mount knows its in the Southern Hemisphere. Old Japanese type user interface where you hold something down whilst clicking.

Once you get past these types of initial confusions (and they happen with most gear) you'll be very happy with the mount's performance so its worth pressing on and through.

Download the manual and it will be in there. I forget which 2 buttons you hold down, I think its the top 2.

Chuck Faranda has a Temma 2 driver as well. That is the one I used to use.

https://ascom-temma-telescope-driver...ormer.com/6.0/

A lot of mounts are northern hemisphere-centric and its happened to me several times. Some of the better ones have a physical switch for northern or southern hemisphere.

I just found a Temma manual for the EM200 (same controller). Look at page 29. It looks like you need to reverse the drives using the hand controller.

https://www.astronomy-electronics-ce...20Temma-2M.pdf

Boy, what a crappy manual. Its all Northern Hemisphere oriented. You could always call Claude in Adelaide.

Greg.
Thanks, you also did that. It doesn't work 100% time. That is one of my issue here.

Also, as I want the mount to be remote controlled, the thought of going outside to press the button everything something happens cause me grief and anxiety.

Do you have any other ways to bypass it? Get a new controller that has the switch? Would that help?

Claude, hahah.... He sidetracks too much on phone, but I might give him a call later on when I throw my hands on the air.
Old 19-01-2021, 04:21 PM
Wilso

Here’s a photo with the controller set for Southern Hemisphere sidereal rate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (11A80AC3-F820-4E36-86D3-FE373E9C210C.jpg)
174.4 KB46 views
Old 19-01-2021, 09:06 PM
zzchaozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilso View Post
Here’s a photo with the controller set for Southern Hemisphere sidereal rate.
Thanks. My controller doesn't look like that

https://www.takahashi-europe.com/ima...andbox_700.jpg

This is my one. I had to hold S1 to change it to Southern Hemisphere, but I don't really want to do that anymore.
Old 19-01-2021, 09:57 PM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Yes, mine is the same, press S1 on startup for Sthn Hemisphere- apparently this operational requirement is hardwired into the unit.
Old 20-01-2021, 07:04 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

Though it does not seem to apply when using the ASCOM or Indi driver, which you would hope to be the case, it would be impossible to use remotely in the southern hemisphere if you had to be present at power on every time.
Old 21-01-2021, 07:28 PM
zzchaozz

Can I possibly get the hand controller like the Temma2M to hook into the current one?