Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19-10-2018, 11:21 AM
bojan
amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianh72 View Post
Most Chinese cities are so light-polluted and air-polluted that astronomy is pretty much out of the question - heck, in Beijing and Shanghai, you can barely see the sun on a cloud-free day!

But yeah, I think this whole scheme is utter BS!

Have you ever watched "If you are the one" dating show? NONE of the boys mentioning astronomy and/or related fields as their interest or hobby ever scored a date
Old 19-10-2018, 11:29 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan View Post
Have you ever watched "If you are the one" dating show? NONE of the boys mentioning astronomy and/or related fields as their interest or hobby ever scored a date
Funny you should say that.

My wife once attended an astronomy talk at ANU with Brad Tucker et al. She texted me during it saying it was a hall full of virgins
Old 19-10-2018, 11:35 AM
Kunama

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Funny you should say that.

My wife once attended an astronomy talk at ANU with Brad Tucker et al. She texted me during it saying it was a hall full of virgins
Hey !!! I went to that one
Old 19-10-2018, 11:37 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunama View Post
40 year old virgin? They made a movie with that one.
Old 19-10-2018, 12:05 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

First step to the Dyson Sphere☺
Alex
Old 19-10-2018, 12:09 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunama View Post
OK, OK, 1 concession...
Old 19-10-2018, 12:59 PM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

:p
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (f15_ASAT.jpg)
46.6 KB36 views
Old 19-10-2018, 07:09 PM
silv (Annette)

It's still a fascinating idea, doing something with the solar power up there.
And I enjoyed reading 3 long articles on related subjects. First I tried to find an original Chinese news article on the matter. Found one, google translated it - and it doesn't mention the specific 500km altitude. Maybe that number related only to a singular test.

Anyway. This article here was a great about a Russian guy pushing for illuminating 10-70 km2 areas from space, the "Banner" project mentioned in the ABC-story. The space test (and his team's) was successful in beaming light from a structure jettisoned from the MIR - but the receiving regions on earth were mostly under cloud cover (!) so didn't "see" much. A really great read for your morning cuppa. https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...night-into-day

A retired professor, Susumi Sasaki, explains the project of Japan's Space Solar Power System, SSPS, his country's rather solitary approach to collect solar power in space and beam it down via laser or microwave (better bc mw aren't scattered by clouds like laser is) to a receiving station on earth. By 2030, he projects, construction of the 1st 1GW SSPS-station could begin - if an international cooperation finds the funds for it for Japan can not finance it alone.
The on-earth test in late 2014 Sasaki mentions has been successful. But I couldn't find anything on the low-orbit test in 2018. These FAQ give an overview on the required research areas and obstacles. The page appears to have been last updated in 2013. So not sure how much progress has been made since the 2014 Sasaki editorial on IEEE.

Another nice-to-read-article, just not at all technical, is the Guardian one from 2013 about a small town in Norway near Oslo, Rjukan, which sits in a trough surrounded by high mountains and doesn't get direct sunlight for 6 months a year. Until an artist pursued and realized deflecting sunlight from mountain based mirrors down into the market square. Where town people can sit on new benches and get their winter blues lifted.
Old 20-10-2018, 08:29 AM
tlgerdes (Trevor)
Love the moonless nights!

Didnt they do this in the James Bond movie "Die Another Day". So what happens when the decide to focus the light from a 50km spot to 50cm spot?
Old 20-10-2018, 08:31 AM
RyanJones

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgerdes View Post
Didnt they do this in the James Bond movie "Die Another Day". So what happens when the decide to focus the light from a 50km spot to 50cm spot?
Marc summed it up earlier..... Look out " ants "