Old 22-07-2017, 02:57 PM
cadman342001 (Andy)

Where I'm at / 1st Light woes etc. !

Phew !

Having spent the last 3 nights outside I thought I would add an update to my journey so far.

The kit -
Bresser Messier AR-127L, refractor, 1200mm FL, 127mm dia. gives me f/9.4
Sky Watcher HEQ5 Pro EQ mount & tripod.
TASCO EQ mount Extension tube
SCA 8 cylinder jump starter battery
GSO Super Plossl EP set - 4,6,9,15,25,26,32 and 2x Barlow. (why 25 and 26? - the 26 is marked Bresser, same as the scope so maybe that came with the scope?)

First things first. As if the initial expense of buying the gear, fuel to drive to Canberra from my daughter's in Surfers and shipping it up to Cairns wasn't enough, I then found out that as I live so far North I had to buy an extension tube for the mount as the counterweights hit the tripod leg, so another $189 inc shipping. I know I could have ground off and relocated the locator on the mount to the other side but it would have made the balance dodgy and the extension means the eye piece on the scope is at a slightly higher location when viewing straight up.
Weird though, the recess in the bottom of the extension tube for the existing post has loads of slack ? so even when tightened the tripod bolt as much as I can you can still move it. I'll add a couple of pics showing the recess and my fix

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4304/...c746835b_z.jpg2017-07-22_02-40-09 by AndyMacDougallPhotography, on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4298/...32c7bc21_z.jpg2017-07-22_02-40-31 by AndyMacDougallPhotography, on Flickr

On the subject, it's still very low and not good for the old neck !

Transferred the Polemaster over, glued it onto the cap/cover for the polar scope - that's $40 saved ! Doing the polar alignment is now much easier to do more accurately, the weight of the kit means the view is very stable and the adjusters for RA and alt. precise and easy to use.

Here's where it starts to go wrong ! Doing the 1,2 or 3 Star Alignment for the GoTo is a nightmare ! The view even when using the 32mm EP is so narrow, all the stars look the same, it takes AGES to move the mount across any kind of distance using the arrows on the hand controller.

I am getting better at it, using binoculars and/or the finder scope first, (upside down, back to front compare to the scope. FFS!!) but man what a ball ache ! Even doing 2 star alignment the resulting GoTo movements are quite far off (in the view @ 32mm but nowhere near dead centre)

Is there a way to change the slewing speed when using the direction keys ?
Is it ok to loosen the clutches, move the scope by eye , tighten clutches and then use the direction keys ?

Why aren't ALL the stars in the list when doing a 3 star alignment ? e.g. I did Alnair (I think) as 1st star, then 2nd star the list to pick from is WAYYYY shorter and doesn't include any that I recognize/know the location of.

Do I have to do this 1,2 or 3 star alignment EVERY time ? Even if I don't move the rig ? i.e. just turn off the mount and turn it back the next night - does the handset remember ?

Regarding expectations - Had a good look at Saturn and Jupiter and it's moons which was cool, but generally, it's just lots of stars, all pretty much the same to me, at least it is when viewing from my suburban location.
Not seeing any nebulae, space dust in the MW, nothing through the scope.
I'm assuming that is to be expected with an f/9.4 aperture in LP skies ?
What should I be looking at? Obviously, if/when my GoTo is aligned properly !!!

Sooooo, it's onto using the mount with a dslr attached next, (in dark skies) but that's a whole different set of *****ing / annoying questions

Sorry for the long post. Comments/help welcome/needed !

Andy

Last edited by cadman342001; 22-07-2017 at 03:09 PM.
Old 22-07-2017, 06:47 PM
doppler (Rick)

Hi Andy, fun isn't it , or not when the fancy tech foils you. Most of this is simple but not well explained in the manual.

First to set the slewing rate press 2 then press any other number to select the desired speed ie 2 then 8 for 8x. The star part for aligning is harder because you have to learn a few star names and different ones for different times of the year. I think that the 3 star alignment program might limit the amount of available stars, but I only ever do a 2 star alignment so not sure.

My setup for field use is to level the mount and adjust the altitude then do a 1 star align on a star low in the east or west and then physically rotate the mount (not by loosening clutches) so that on a 1 star align the selected star is visible in the finder scope, then go onto the 2 star routine. With the two star alignment you get better results if you stick with 2 stars on the same side of the celestial equator. I have been using alpha centauri and acrux as my 2 stars of late.

Finally the GOTO has a guided tour of some brighter objects on the hand set menu to get you started, when the GOTO behaves. If the GOTO gets you close you can see the brighter objects in the finder scope and you can then slow slew to center it for the main scope. If you use an illuminated recticle eyepiece to center the stars you can get better alignment, but it's hard to get it perfect.

Rick

Last edited by doppler; 22-07-2017 at 06:57 PM.
Old 22-07-2017, 06:49 PM
The Mekon (John Briggs)

OK Andy, here are some tips on aligning an HEQ5 or EQ6.

1. Get close to the pole initially by learning where the SCP is in the sky. Use binoculars to find the "trapezium" and sigma octans and this will help you with the azimuth as you can just stand behind the mount to check you are in the right area.

2. Ensure you have the correct lat/long, date(month first) and time. Get the time to within 5 seconds if you can.

3. Park position - get it as "neutral" as you can, ie, cwt shaft vertical and dec axis at 0.

4. Set alignment stars to magnitude - then the controller will chose the brighter stars.

5. Start with 2 star align. Once the scope has slewed to the first star (watch the finder as it zeroes in on the star),press "rate" (button 2) and select 4 or 5- enter. Slew star in finder first and then in main scope at about 100x.,

Do same for second star. Note your have to select the new rate at each star.

If two star does not give good alignment, then try 3 star.

YOU DO NOT NEED ACCURATE POLAR ALIGNMENT FOR GOOD GOTO PERFORMANCE.

good luck

John
Old 22-07-2017, 06:54 PM
cadman342001 (Andy)

Thanks chaps ! Reading TFM did help will give it another go tonight clouds permitting.