Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 20-07-2017, 10:07 AM
JA

Sigma 14mm f/1.8 A Review

For info Sigma 14mm f/1.8 Art Lens Review.....

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/17...-f1-8-art-lens

Best
JA

Last edited by JA; 20-07-2017 at 11:25 AM.
Old 20-07-2017, 08:59 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Thanks for the link....

....but I thought the review was poorly handled with most of the "test" shots showing trailing giving you little idea of what the point spread of star images looked like at various apertures.

Don't get me wrong, I've found Sigma's art lenses to be superb, but that review did not help me in deciding whether to add another Art lens to my kit.
Old 21-07-2017, 07:01 AM
gregbradley

True but I it does give an idea that at F1.8 there is definitely coma. Perhaps not enough to be a big issue. I suspect the coma could be corrected with the distortion slider in Lightroom. My Zeiss Batis 25 looks a bit like that wide open at F2 but it corrects in Lightroom.

But for $2000 is that bit extra worth it? Irix 15mm F2.4 was my ultimate choice as best bang for your buck and look at a Sigma 14mm up the track when its price comes way down. Samyang 14mm f2.8 quality control is too poor so whilst good copies exist it seems for every good copy there are 2 or 3 bad ones.

Greg.
Old 21-07-2017, 07:11 AM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
True but I it does give an idea that at F1.8 there is definitely coma. Perhaps not enough to be a big issue. I suspect the coma could be corrected with the distortion slider in Lightroom. My Zeiss Batis 25 looks a bit like that wide open at F2 but it corrects in Lightroom.

But for $2000 is that bit extra worth it? Irix 15mm F2.4 was my ultimate choice as best bang for your buck and look at a Sigma 14mm up the track when its price comes way down. Samyang 14mm f2.8 quality control is too poor so whilst good copies exist it seems for every good copy there are 2 or 3 bad ones.

Greg.
If you buy the Samyang from a supplier that offers a no fault exchange period, you can send them back until you get one you like. Camerasky offers a 14 day return policy, and i am sure others do as well. For the potential savings i am willing to try it, but sure if money is not a concern Sigma Art is the way to go.
Old 21-07-2017, 12:53 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
If you buy the Samyang from a supplier that offers a no fault exchange period, you can send them back until you get one you like. Camerasky offers a 14 day return policy, and i am sure others do as well. For the potential savings i am willing to try it, but sure if money is not a concern Sigma Art is the way to go.

That's a good tip, thanks for that.

I read a review comparing the Samyang 14 2.8 with the Irix 15mm F2.4 The Irix outperformed the Samyang in almost all ways. I also noticed in a review of the Sigma 14 it was compared with both the Samyang and the Irix. The Irix seemed slightly better at F2.8. The Irix comes in 2 types, the Blackstone (mag alloy body) and the Firefly (polycarbonate body, same optics and mechanics, lighter and cheaper).

I went for the Firefly off ebay. AUD$587 which is cheap for an ultra wide.

Laowa are supposed to be releasing their 15mm F2 soon but the 12mm has some coma issues. So who knows.

Greg.