Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23-06-2017, 08:05 PM
SkyWatch (Dean)

iOptron controller backlight problem

Hi Folks,

I have an iOptron Mini Tower #8320 with the #8401 controller (v081008W). The backlight for the display has died (the keyboard display itself is fine). I have tried the setup for the backlights (there are individual setups for the display and the keyboard), but nothing happens. When I get into the “setup” section, the first column on the display is dark as well (but not in the “Menu” or other modes). The controller appears to be otherwise fully functional.

I pulled it apart to see if there was an LED that could be replaced, but no luck: the display panel appears to be lit from the edge: and there is a multitude of wires attached...

My electronic skills amount to being able to fix a soldered joint, but not much more: so I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and if so were you able to fix it?

Thanks in anticipation,

Dean
Old 23-06-2017, 09:09 PM
Buck

Hello Dean,
You might want to try the iOptron Mini Tower Yahoo group - the likes of Graham Beazley et al may be able to assist.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...tions/messages

Paul R
Old 23-06-2017, 09:43 PM
axle01 (Alan)

First thing Graham will tell you is to replace the button battery in the controller and make sure you test it before you put it in as there are a lot of batteries that have sat on the shelf for a long time before being sold.
Check the firmware I think it should be V110331W
Alan
Old 24-06-2017, 01:10 PM
SkyWatch (Dean)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck View Post
Hello Dean,
You might want to try the iOptron Mini Tower Yahoo group - the likes of Graham Beazley et al may be able to assist.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...tions/messages

Paul R
Thanks Paul,

I'll check it out.
Old 24-06-2017, 01:17 PM
SkyWatch (Dean)

Quote:
Originally Posted by axle01 View Post
First thing Graham will tell you is to replace the button battery in the controller and make sure you test it before you put it in as there are a lot of batteries that have sat on the shelf for a long time before being sold.
Check the firmware I think it should be V110331W
Alan
Thanks Alan!
I didn't even notice the button battery the other day. I will try it shortly.

- Dean
Old 27-06-2017, 06:25 PM
SkyWatch (Dean)

All fixed, I hope! I replaced the battery (it was down to 0.9V), and I contacted the iOptron service people. They suggested the problem was a faulty LED on the backlight diffuser. They said they could send me a new diffuser, but when I checked it out I found that only one of 3 LED's which are built in to the diffuser was faulty. I bypassed this one, and the others do the job quite happily- just a bit dimmer on one side...

Saved me $50 and a long wait for the new part to come from the US!

Kudos to iOptron: they responded very quickly!

They also said there was no need to do a firmware upgrade, which is a good thing because I use a Mac, and that is a job for a PC!

All now seems fine, so fingers crossed.

- Dean
Old 28-06-2017, 11:29 AM
Graham Beazley

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWatch View Post
All fixed, I hope! I replaced the battery (it was down to 0.9V), and I contacted the iOptron service people. They suggested the problem was a faulty LED on the backlight diffuser. They said they could send me a new diffuser, but when I checked it out I found that only one of 3 LED's which are built in to the diffuser was faulty. I bypassed this one, and the others do the job quite happily- just a bit dimmer on one side...

Saved me $50 and a long wait for the new part to come from the US!

Kudos to iOptron: they responded very quickly!

They also said there was no need to do a firmware upgrade, which is a good thing because I use a Mac, and that is a job for a PC!

All now seems fine, so fingers crossed.

- Dean
Hi Dean,
Good to see you got it sorted. I've had this happen before to one of my remotes , I dropped it and 2 leds stopped. I replaced the diffuser board and all was good again. Since then I've been able to replace the faulty leds and repair the broken diffuser so now have a spare.
As you have 2 out of the 3 working and are satisfied then all is good for you.
Yes no need to upgrade any firmware if you are satisfied that it's doing what you want .
Happy viewing.
Cheers
Graham
Old 28-06-2017, 11:40 AM
SkyWatch (Dean)

Thanks Graham!

All the best,

Dean
Old 14-07-2017, 09:18 PM
axle01 (Alan)

Hey Dean I just got a new controller off the iOptron agent here in Oz and the screen light doesn't light up like yours, don't want to send it back or contact him because of the shocking service I got so I've contacted iOptron, waiting for a reply.

Alan
Old 15-07-2017, 01:16 AM
Graham Beazley

Quote:
Originally Posted by axle01 View Post
Hey Dean I just got a new controller off the iOptron agent here in Oz and the screen light doesn't light up like yours, don't want to send it back or contact him because of the shocking service I got so I've contacted iOptron, waiting for a reply.

Alan
Hi Alan.
Remove the back from the controller and reseat the ribbon cable into its socket and see how it goes from there. Just slide out the two little black lugs each side of the socket and make sure the cable is pushed right home the push the lugs back in.
These controllers and you are sure not compatible what with your rotten luck.
Cheers
Graham
Old 15-07-2017, 03:25 PM
axle01 (Alan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Beazley View Post
Hi Alan.
Remove the back from the controller and reseat the ribbon cable into its socket and see how it goes from there. Just slide out the two little black lugs each side of the socket and make sure the cable is pushed right home the push the lugs back in.
These controllers and you are sure not compatible what with your rotten luck.
Cheers
Graham
Thanks Graham done that and as you mentioned it may be faulty leds.
Going to see my techy tomorrow and see if he can replace them or change over the ones from my old controller.
Now get back to bed and get better so you can work out a price for a EQ mount for me.

Al