Old 02-07-2017, 05:55 PM
kramenyak77 (Kayne)

Smile Setting up for first time

Hi I'm new here. I'm into astrophotography.

I've got a Celestron 925 Edge HD, a CGX mount, a Zwo ASI 1600 camera with filter wheel and 7 filters -RGB and Ha Oiii Si, 56 amp battery, and dew control. Also getting Hyperstar to match.

I have a new MacBook Pro. What software do I need to control the mount? Do I use what comes with the scope? Or do I need to buy software to do this? What's all this talk of needing two laptops out in the field?

Any help much appreciated!
Old 02-07-2017, 06:10 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

oh boy, you certainly did your research and dove straight in to the deep end . One important question, do you have guiding set up? without it might be difficult to get longer exposures on your SCT (might be easier with the hyperstar but still useful). If you dont have guiding right now than you dont need to worry about PHD2 (guiding software). I'm not too familiar with celestron mounts but the software that comes with the mount should be fine (assuming you have the right usb cable to connect the mount to computer). No, you don't need two computers. I think in terms of software youd need an image capturing software like sharpcap or other similar softwares (theres several aha), guiding software PHD2, post processing software (Photoshop, GIMP or Startools or whatever you're most experienced with).

I see that you're in Gold Coast, this post wouldn't be complete without plugging our local astronomy club SAS. Theres a monthly meetup where you can talk to more experienced people that can give you feedback face to face.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:09 PM
kramenyak77 (Kayne)

Thanks for that. Yes I'll be getting the right USB cables. I've done my research - $11k is a lot to spend on something without much thought! I'm fine with the post-processing software - using Nebulosity and Lightroom. I'll look into Sharpcap and PHD2. I've joined the SAS group on Facebook, I suppose that gives all the dates for meetings?
Old 02-07-2017, 07:21 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

The Website has more info/details on coming dates and events.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:39 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

How's it going Mark? Anything you need help with?
At least you picked a good night to get started. (I shouldn't have said that - the cloud gods will have heard now )
Old 02-07-2017, 09:01 PM
kramenyak77 (Kayne)

Smile

thatguy and RobF thank you.

RobF, in the long run I'm hoping to meet people who are more experienced than me who might head out with me one night to help me - to teach me some basics. As this would help me, I'm always happy to travel.

Having said that, I would be keen to learn about what you guys use to transport your scopes/mounts/etc - Stanley container? Purpose-built container? Wooden box? Soft case?
Old 03-07-2017, 10:56 AM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Hi Mark

The SAS are a great bunch to get to know. Astropete runs regular New Moon events I've never attended on Southside but have heard are great fun.

For transport, suggestions include:

1. Original box and packing (if you have it)
2. Custom box and cutout foam (there are threads about custom suppliers)
3. Crate or pelican case knock off from Bunnings with pluck foam or whatever is available - e.g. large old doona? (there are threads on IIS about cases)
4. Seat belts - for longer OTA (Newt) this worked well along the backseat, perhaps not for a shorter SCT though.
5. Sedan boot - use blankets and pillows to pack the scope up against the back of the boot area, up against rear seats - pack with pillows or clothes (e.g. freezer suits) for extra security
Old 03-07-2017, 05:23 PM
kramenyak77 (Kayne)

Thanks RobF, you've given me heaps of ideas.
I guess I'll keep the original packaging, it is nice and secure.
I have visions of someone ramming into the back of my car and smashing my equipment. I think I'd rather keep it on the back seat, perhaps secured with the seat belt. Speaking of that I should insure it all.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:04 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

I think if a car rams the back of your car, youd have bigger things to worry about than your scopes