Old 11-06-2018, 05:44 PM
kosborn (Kevin)

Lagoon with patience

Hi all,

Last night at last relief from the clouds. The Lagoon nebula was in my sights and with no moon I thought LRGB was the way to go. Lots of integration time and didn't finish until 4am but in the end I'm happy with the result. I collected an hour of Ha as well hoping to add that to luminance and red channel but in the end I left it out. I'd really like to hear how people add Ha to LRGB images. This is 50x 120s luminance and 25x 120s each of red, green and blue for a total of 4.2 hours. A higher res version is at https://www.astrobin.com/full/350785/0/?nc=user

Kevin
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Lagoon v1 scale.jpg)
205.4 KB61 views
Old 11-06-2018, 06:01 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Kevin I cant help with your request for help but may I say that is a wonderful image. Well done.
Alex
Old 11-06-2018, 06:10 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Well done, very nice image. Wish I could manage to stay up that long.

Like yourself I'm still trying to figure out the best way to add Ha to mono. I suspect if you added it to the Red channel you may find a lot more diffuse glow around the central nebula but I find sometimes it adds too much and loses the definition. Still experimenting...
Old 11-06-2018, 10:07 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

It's sharp, great colour and resolution!

What software are you using for processing? I've never used anything but PixInsight so that's all I know
Old 11-06-2018, 10:18 PM
kosborn (Kevin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Kevin I cant help with your request for help but may I say that is a wonderful image. Well done.
Alex
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroID View Post
Well done, very nice image. Wish I could manage to stay up that long.

Thanks Alex and Brent. Much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
It's sharp, great colour and resolution!

What software are you using for processing? I've never used anything but PixInsight so that's all I know

Thanks Colin. This was all PixInsight from calibration and stacking to completion. I tried adding Ha to the red channel in variations from 10% to 30% but all it seemed to do was make the core redder and what I like about the version I ended up with is the contrast between the core and the outer parts of the nebulosity. I was also going to add about 20% of Ha to the luminance but with nearly 2 hours of luminance I already had nice coverage of the fainter parts of nebulosity.

I think instead I'll save the Ha data for a run of narrowband when the moon is out next.

Kevin
Old 11-06-2018, 10:38 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

What I have found best personally is to first use LinearFit. Use your red frame as the reference and use it on the Ha.

Then go into PixelMath and create a master red with:
Max(R,Ha)

This will add the Ha into the red channel and as it has been fitted against the red channel it should help with the blowout.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:24 PM
Mickoid (Michael)

Amazing detail you've picked up there Kevin. Aren't these SW Esprit's great scopes? On my Canon 550d I can manage a wider field than your ccd camera can using this scope but your result is a much zoomed in view of the Lagoon. This capture has just shown how good these scopes are and the Ccd camera has taken full advantage of the Esprit's optics. A lovely effort under these cold winter skies, your 4 hrs of integration has paid off with this one, well done!
Old 12-06-2018, 07:01 AM
kosborn (Kevin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickoid View Post
Amazing detail you've picked up there Kevin. Aren't these SW Esprit's great scopes? On my Canon 550d I can manage a wider field than your ccd camera can using this scope but your result is a much zoomed in view of the Lagoon. This capture has just shown how good these scopes are and the Ccd camera has taken full advantage of the Esprit's optics. A lovely effort under these cold winter skies, your 4 hrs of integration has paid off with this one, well done!
Thanks Michael. Yes the Esprit 100 is a great scope, really sharp optics and with the field flattener round stars right to the edges, even with a full frame sensor I'm told. Your sensor would certainly give a larger field than mine but I've also used a bit of judicious cropping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
What I have found best personally is to first use LinearFit. Use your red frame as the reference and use it on the Ha.

Then go into PixelMath and create a master red with:
Max(R,Ha)

This will add the Ha into the red channel and as it has been fitted against the red channel it should help with the blowout.

That makes sense. I'll certainly give that a go. Thanks.

Kevin
Old 12-06-2018, 07:23 AM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Nice work, Kevin!

The NBRGBCombination script in PI is worth a go. I sometimes like the results it produces and sometimes not I have half a dozen different techniques for adding Ha to RGB images and I usually try a few and pick what I like for each different image.

Cheers,
Rick.