ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2018, 09:17 AM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)
Make it so! - Capt.Picard

Custom cut timbers (Melbourne)

I am looking to make a custom made desk and was wondering if anyone knows any good timber suppliers down in Melbourne?

I would like a decent hardwood like American Oak or Merbau but don't want to break the bank at the same time!
Old 07-06-2018, 09:45 AM
Wavytone

Having been there done that years ago, I swore never again, and would suggest you buy one.

FWIW we have a gorgeous modern table in solid Sydney Bluegum and an artisan-made buffet in redgum and mountain ash that we will sell soon - wife wants to redecorate later this year, both have been meticulously cared for and in mint condition. Breaks my heart to part with them but I don’t argue with her.

The table colour is reddish and lighter than redgum. The buffet is also modern in style with three doors and shelves inside; the timber is gorgeous.

If interested at a fair cost I’d arrange shipping to you as it will require a removalist.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:27 AM
glend (Glen)

In addition to all my wooden boats over the years, I have made bespoke furniture from time to time for my family. The last item was a baby cot for my grand-daughter. I used Tassie Pink Myrtle for that cot, a wonderful coloured and patterned timber that shows pink traces through the clear coat. There is a Tassie timber merchant that has an online store on ebay, it is worth checking out. This is where I buy my pink myrtle.

http://www.distinctivetimbers.com.au...tle/myrtle.htm

Unless you have experience working with wood, and the tools to make it easier, I suggest you buy that desk. There are plenty of old desks sitting around in second hand furniture shops or antique places that you could refinish and have a lovely desk. I bought an old desk from an HCF disposal sale for $20, solid oak, over 50 years old, in excellent condition.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:56 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

My daughter and I are starting to build a desk right now.

First plan it then build a model in balsa. Work from the basis of scaling the poeces of timber down to model size...for example if you are using 8 x 4 sheets of ply cut your balsa into pieces 4x 8 inches make a little pile and work as if the little sheets are big ones.
Another good idea is to make a cardboard replica of the room to scale with doors etc so you figure just how some things will fit or wont in a real life situation.

We are only building one out of necessity (lay out issues) and it will be in pine from Bunnings.

If lay out is not the issue and you just want one because it would look cool please think long and hard.
It is expensive and really requires a lot of planning to get it right.

If you can buy one do so... as although it seems a simple job you really have to know what you are doing.
If you must build a scale model which will probably convince you to buy ready made☺.
Alex
Old 07-06-2018, 08:33 PM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Stefan07 View Post
I am looking to make a custom made desk and was wondering if anyone knows any good timber suppliers down in Melbourne?

I would like a decent hardwood like American Oak or Merbau but don't want to break the bank at the same time!
Hello Stefan,

Maybe try

1. Lewis Timber on I think Grange road in bentleigh(????), but expensive and they might only have vic ash and jarrah, but very extensive range of timber mouldings. Cut to nominal lengths.

2. Tile Importers in Oakleigh, very good on price of some furniture timbers, but probably not oak . Plenty of building grade stuff. They had some very wide dressed Merbau boards 290 x 45 that we used for stairs and some excellent quality dressed 90x90 laminated Merbau posts that are so well finished that you could use them as table legs. Not cut to length.

3. Australian Furniture Timber in Port Melbourne but $$$

Best
JA

Last edited by JA; 07-06-2018 at 08:50 PM.
Old 10-06-2018, 04:45 PM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)
Make it so! - Capt.Picard

Thanks everyone.

I will check out those links and see how I go!
Old 10-06-2018, 09:51 PM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

Give it a bash Stefan! You can't do any worse than 'ol mate Homer:
https://youtu.be/JADG0hf7DlI?t=28