Old 25-10-2009, 08:08 PM
Jazza11 (Jeremy)
Lov'in the Night Sky

ToUcam photography info!

I have been thinking about getting a ToUcam for planetary and moon photography does anyone have any experience with this i am going to be using a 10" dob no guide i thought i would just let it drift through the FOV and re-adjust when it leaves is this possible any advice is welcome.
Old 25-10-2009, 08:15 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Hi Jazza, you might want to have a read of this article if you already haven't

Astrophotography with a Dob
Old 25-10-2009, 08:35 PM
cookie8 (Vincent)
Hooked since Halley's

Hi Jazza
I use a Philips SPC900nc and nose-piece to take images of moon & planets through a 12" Dob.
I use a 2x barlow for moon's craters and 5x Powermate for planets.
These are my images
At that magnifications without tracking ,the objects drift across FOV too quickly( about 10secs) It was a real pain to find and keep the object within the FOV,thats why I bought a round table platform.Now I can take avi's up to 2mins.
Another option is a tracking equatorial mount eg EQ5 if you have a solid tube dob.
Old 26-10-2009, 02:34 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Hi Jazza,

I have just started in AP recently, I have a 12" DOB with no tracking. I use various products, have a look at the resources section of IIS which gave me a starting point, I have made some changes in what I use and always looking for more streamlined solutions. Once I have finished I hope to post my usage on the forum.

I also use a different webcam although having a few issues with it at the moment. Once I have found the right solution for the webcam I would feel confident to talk more about it. My main reason for not using toucam is that it is difficult to get it new anymore.

The latest moon picture I created is here, I have also made some Jupiter images as well one being my Avitar.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mswhin63...76907771723778

On the Picasa site I also hve a mistake I made on my moon, I am now using mosaics to put my image together which is a lot more time consuming but allows for a higher res shot.

Good luck
Old 26-10-2009, 04:27 PM
Clarry (Clayton)
"L" plater

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie8 View Post
Hi Jazza
At that magnifications without tracking ,the objects drift across FOV too quickly( about 10secs) It was a real pain to find and keep the object within the FOV,thats why I bought a round table platform.Now I can take avi's up to 2mins.
Hi Cookie8, what is this round table platform that you mentioned. It sounds like a normal dob mount but it must be something else if you get 2min avi's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswhin63 View Post
Hi Jazza,
. My main reason for not using toucam is that it is difficult to get it new anymore.
mswhin63, I bought mine recently from Peter Tan in Hong Kong. Brand new with adapter for $90 delivered.
Old 26-10-2009, 08:24 PM
cookie8 (Vincent)
Hooked since Halley's

Round Table Platforms
Its a round wooden platform on which you put your whole dob including mount. It does limited tracking when leveled and polar aligned. Unfortunately its US manufacturer has closed it down recently due to financial difficulties, There is a photo on their site still:
http://www.roundtableplatforms.com/
Old 26-10-2009, 09:24 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarry View Post
mswhin63, I bought mine recently from Peter Tan in Hong Kong. Brand new with adapter for $90 delivered.
I know that you can still get them, but the manufacturer has stopped producing them. I prefer to try current models available. I think you can still get them from http://www.telescopes-astronomy.com....am_philips.htm but they are usually end of line products purchaced to keep things running for a while until another option is found.
Old 26-10-2009, 11:29 PM
Clarry (Clayton)
"L" plater

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie8 View Post
Round Table Platforms
Its a round wooden platform on which you put your whole dob including mount. It does limited tracking when leveled and polar aligned. Unfortunately its US manufacturer has closed it down recently due to financial difficulties, There is a photo on their site still:
http://www.roundtableplatforms.com/
I see. Judging from the photo, I'm guessing it rotates in sync with earth's rotation and then as the flanged part of the base hits a block the platform tilts up to match the earth's tilt. Very clever (if I'm right).