Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Observational and Visual Astronomy

Old 09-05-2005, 04:04 PM
Brendan
casual star gazer

no anthony didn't hit him, thought the peice of grass hanging out of its mouth like a durrie was kinda amusing at the time. gota love abs.
Old 13-05-2005, 09:05 AM
JohnH
Member # 159

Sat pm it looks to be clearing up is anyone intending to show up?
Old 13-05-2005, 09:11 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Wrong thread John, try this one:

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...&threadid=2002

Do you want to be added to the central coast mailing list?

I'll be turning up if it's clear.
Old 18-02-2018, 04:20 PM
frogman (Anthony Lord)
Host to the Stars

Hello strangers ..... i havent posted since 2005 .. found a 4 inch dob for the verandah and thought of you " bunch " ....
Anyone still observing ?
Think i met Rod again here in Canberra but not sure .

Anthony
Old 18-02-2018, 06:07 PM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogman View Post
Hello strangers ..... i havent posted since 2005 .. found a 4 inch dob for the verandah and thought of you " bunch " ....
Anyone still observing ?

Anthony
wow now there is a blast from the past!
Old 18-02-2018, 06:56 PM
frogman (Anthony Lord)
Host to the Stars

Yeah man ... found the posts and all the old gear and nights we spent out .... i miss it
Old 23-02-2018, 06:49 AM
Rodstar (Rod)
The Glenfallus

Quote:
Anyone still observing ?

Anthony
Hey Froggy! Ah that takes me right back....our first gathering was, if I recall at that crazy bloke's place in Woy Woy, who wanted to build a Planetarium at Kariong...then the first ever observing session for IIS at the Water Tower at Somersby....and then...your kind invitation to Paint Ball, and the rest is history!

I remember your 12 inch dob very well, your enthusiasm and generosity in welcoming us to Paint Ball every month. Lots of memories of the early group of observers with their scopes - Mike Salway (10 inch dob), Rocket Boy (130mm Takahashi), HOughy (12 inch SCT), John Bambury (10 inch Dob), Atatalas (110 Takahashi?), Wayne (8 in SCT), Ed Roca (18 inch Dob), George Lavanos (who wore shorts and bare feet in the middle of winter!!), Gary Kopff, Andrew Murrell, Narayan. And then the many others who came to join us at Paint Ball with their children..Joe and Anushka, Scott (now back in the US) with his boys, my three kids, the list goes on and on...

Froggy, to your original question, for some of us, astronomy is something you cannot maintain the rage about indefinitely - it is an interest that (rather appropriately) waxes and wanes over the years. I bought a law firm 5 years ago, and the energy needed to run a business with 50+ staff has made it far more difficult to observe as I am so dang tired at night. However, in a few weeks I will be taking delivery of a brand new 20 inch SDM, and I am expecting this will get me much more motivated in 2018!

Good on you for buying the verandah dob! There is a passionate group of amateur astronomers in the ACT, so you should be able to connect with some IIS people down there if you are keen.

I don't recall seeing you in Canberra - last time I think I saw you was at Zanzibar in West Gosford. Nice to hear from you, and hope to meet you in person, possibly under the Milky Way, some time soon!

Last edited by Rodstar; 23-02-2018 at 11:33 AM.
Old 23-02-2018, 12:42 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Wow, dude! Good to see you here again! I was checking out your profile the other day to see when was the last time you had logged in.

Where abouts are you here in Canberra?

H
Old 01-03-2018, 02:39 PM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

Quote:
Anyone still observing ?

Anthony
Hi Froggy,

Nice to hear from you again and good to see you have got yourself a verandah scope.

I am still observing although not with the same intensity I used to. I go to all of the Ozsky Events at Coona which is an 8 day event that we host for visiting US observers. That gives me a fix and calms the nerves for a while.

I haven't observed much from home in the last 12 months due to the unsuitability of conditions in the temporary house I was living (like no back yard and telescopes buried). I have just moved house last Friday to a much better house with a large back yard and pretty decent skies so I plan to do some back yard observing again in the coming weeks. Unlike Rod, I have no need, or desire for any new telescopes. The 3 scopes I have are all premium scopes (18" Obsession and 14" and 10" SDM's) and due to the changing metallurgy of the construction materials used in the scopes, they seem to get considerably heavier with every year that passes . In addition I have ready access to scopes up to 30" with Ozsky so I don't need anything super large myself. I mainly do lunar / planets and double stars from home and both the 10" and 14" SDM's are ideal for this.

Hopefully we can cross paths again at some time in the future.

Cheers
John B
Old 01-03-2018, 02:53 PM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

[QUOTE=Rodstar;1359372] George Lavanos (who wore shorts and bare feet in the middle of winter!!)

Hi Rod,

I will never forget George turning up to Paintball in early June 2005 for a nights observing, wearing nothing but shorts, thongs and tee-shirt.

Nor will I ever forget George grinding a mirror in the creek / waterhole at the first IISAC at Lostock in late January 2006, because of the 40+ degree temperatures. That is a sight I will never forget, I couldn't stop laughing. If that mirror turned out to be better than 4/1 waves it got lucky Although he was only rough grinding it.

A real character !!

Cheers,
John B
Old 01-03-2018, 04:42 PM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Anyone still observing ?

Anthony
Anthony, hey buddy, how's it going, we've missed you !!!
So good to hear from you.
Ah, the memories, paintball guns, pizzas, scopes, eyepieces and the odd cigar or two...
We need a reunion....

RB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodstar View Post
Rocket Boy (130mm Takahashi), HOughy (12 inch SCT), John Bambury (10 inch Dob), Atatalas (110 Takahashi?), Wayne (8 in SCT), Ed Roca (18 inch Dob), George Lavanos (who wore shorts and bare feet in the middle of winter!!), Gary Kopff, Andrew Murrell, Narayan. And then the many others who came to join us at Paint Ball with their children..Joe and Anushka, Scott (now back in the US) with his boys, my three kids, the list goes on and on...
Rod, the memories keep flooding back.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausastronomer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodstar View Post
George Lavanos (who wore shorts and bare feet in the middle of winter!!)

Hi Rod,

I will never forget George turning up to Paintball in early June 2005 for a nights observing, wearing nothing but shorts, thongs and tee-shirt.

Nor will I ever forget George grinding a mirror in the creek / waterhole at the first IISAC at Lostock in late January 2006, because of the 40+ degree temperatures. That is a sight I will never forget, I couldn't stop laughing. If that mirror turned out to be better than 4/1 waves it got lucky Although he was only rough grinding it.

A real character !!

Cheers,
John B
hahaha John, what a character George was.
And exactly as you describe, I remember him grinding that mirror in the creek in that heat !!
Here's that photo I took of him that day.
Wow, just wow.

RB
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (george.jpg)
142.3 KB34 views
Old 06-03-2018, 02:54 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Those were the days. I'd have just finished polar alignment, ready to take my first image, while everyone else was packing up getting ready to go home.

H