Old 24-06-2007, 05:21 PM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

d40 vs k100d

knowing that there are some really good photographers here i'd like some opinions on these 2 cameras...

1. pentax k100d (i am leaning towards this one)

2. nikon d40

this is for terrestrial only, not astro. both are 6.1mp i think but the pentax is a newer design (not sure if this counts for anything tho). i can get either one for about $700.

biased people need not apply

once my tax check or maybe even my next M5 check comes thru i may be up for one.
Old 24-06-2007, 05:45 PM
acropolite (Phil)

Ving, Bias aside, IMO you should save a few extra dollars and get a 400D, the extra resolution and the self cleaning sensors are a plus and it will be good for astropix should the urge overcome you. If you are hell bent on either Nikon or Pentax I'd go for Nikon, simply because they have some reasonably priced VR (anti shake) lenses in their range.
Old 24-06-2007, 08:50 PM
h0ughy (David)

the pentax would be OK, the K10D has anti shake and sensor clean built into the camera and is sealed, or water resistant
Old 24-06-2007, 08:53 PM
h0ughy (David)

sorry I misread, DOH the k100D..... not a bad little camera, I loved my *istDS and the 100D fits the mould as well. I do own a canon or two and agree that they are fantastic cameras. Ving to be honest try both in store somewhere and you decide, like the ease at which to change ISO and other settings and the feel and ease of access to functions - and the weight. Then decide!
Old 25-06-2007, 05:45 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

I'd agree with Phil, bias aside A second-hand 350D would be about the same price as those I guess?
Old 25-06-2007, 08:52 AM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

The title of your post was "D40 vs K100D" - why is there then mention of Canon? I guess because this is a Canon camp.

$700 for a D40? Jenny just got me one and it was on sale at Bing Lee for just over $1,000 for the 18-55 kit. Is that for just the body then?

Anyway - I'm genuinely starting to love my D40. It is full of features that aren't "fanfared", and it takes time to learn about a lot of them. The handling of the camera is superb, being as small and light as it is.

Why would you but a second-hand camera for nearly what you'd pay for a new one? If it's mainly for terrestrial use then a 2nd hand 350D should be considered too old IMHO. Get a warrany!!!!

Here's a great place to start - Ken Rockwell's comparison chart - from a guy who has actually USED all of these cameras and is not just propagating other people's opinions based on their biased brand loyalty. http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech.htm#cameras

Anyway - I'm sure the Pentax is a good camera too, but read these two reports before you decide:

D40-specific test: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40.htm

http://www.bythom.com/d40review.htm

Last edited by Omaroo; 25-06-2007 at 09:43 PM.
Old 25-06-2007, 09:54 AM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

Quote:
Originally Posted by acropolite View Post
If you are hell bent on either Nikon or Pentax I'd go for Nikon, simply because they have some reasonably priced VR (anti shake) lenses in their range.
the pentax has in-body antishake so it doesnt mater what lense you put on, its there. aparently it works better than canons and nikons...

i'd be hard pressed to get a 350d for the same price second hand that doesnt have 5000 or more actuations on it.

havng read a bunch of comparisons now the pentax autofocus is suposedly pretty fast the lens are good while 2.8fps isnt that fast it will do me easy.

this could be a month away or so but the pentax is looking like a great camera. the only problems i see over the 350d/400d is thats its only 6.1mp but i shoot for teh web anyhow. and that its startup time is a bit slow.
Old 25-06-2007, 10:07 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

David, I've been wanting a K100D as well - my excuse if that I'm just a Pentax user from way back (about 1977 I bought my KX - still going strong). Can you point to the reviews you have relied on? Any search I do finds umteen hundred, so I'm shamelessly piggy-backing on someone who has read them and sifted the wheat from the chaff!
Old 25-06-2007, 10:56 AM
h0ughy (David)

guys I own a K10D - and owned a *istDS, own a 350D, 400D and previously owned a 300D. They all have positives and negatives. Ving - its what you feel comfortable with, and you are buying for a purpose - terrestrial only!
Old 25-06-2007, 02:02 PM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick View Post
David, I've been wanting a K100D as well - my excuse if that I'm just a Pentax user from way back (about 1977 I bought my KX - still going strong). Can you point to the reviews you have relied on? Any search I do finds umteen hundred, so I'm shamelessly piggy-backing on someone who has read them and sifted the wheat from the chaff!
i just put in a bunch of different terms in google
k100d vs 400d this was just opinions on a forum

VSXL camera comparisons with various links to comparisons

about half way down this page is vs d40

and a review from iamaging recource
Old 25-06-2007, 02:38 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Thanks David.
Old 25-06-2007, 03:32 PM
joe_smith

Hi guys is there any reason you cant use these for DSO images with a scope? I was thinking about getting one as well but if I cant do DSO work with it then its not worth it.
Old 25-06-2007, 04:19 PM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

you can joe...

this guy uses one.
http://www.geocities.jp/taizosakaki/sub24.html
Old 25-06-2007, 05:44 PM
acropolite (Phil)

Quote:
the pentax has in-body antishake so it doesnt mater what lens you put on, its there. aparently it works better than canons and nikons...
Maybe, I've seen comments both favourable and unfavourable on in-camera anti-shake. It's a moot point if you don't buy the body with inbuilt anti-shake in the first place, hence my point on the cost effectiveness of Nikon lenses; if you opt for the Nikon, the VR lenses are cheaper than the Canon eqivalents and you can buy them later. That said, one of my workmates bought the Pentax 10D after looking at the 100D and took it to africa on a Safari tour, the results he got with the 10D and a modest sigma 18-200 were IMO very good. One thing you could do is pop in to the local camera shop and snap some images out in the street with both, then take the images home and compare. Look for details in shaded areas, particularly compression artifacts and noise.
Old 26-06-2007, 03:31 AM
joe_smith

Thanks Dave I will check them out
Old 26-06-2007, 12:47 PM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

well research being my game i have done futher comparisons...
this site allows you to do a side by side comparison of picture of any 2 given cameras...
http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM
i did the nikon and pentax of course and the nikon is sharper and has better auto whitebalance i think....

i am going for a d40
plus this review does d40 vs d50 vs k110d (its the k100d without image stabilising) and the d40 comes out on top again.
http://www.digitalreview.ca/Content/...0D-K100D.shtml
i think the 2 sites are non biased in any way so i feel comfortable with my choice.
Old 26-06-2007, 02:41 PM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Good stuff David.

In my honest opinion, the D40 is a very underrated camera, which is interesting in itself. Its 6.1mpixel chip may not be the newest or largest, but after 6 years of development with that same chip Nikon have really managed to tune the software to it. The handling and menu systems are logical, and all results that I've seen from mine so far completely satisfy my needs, and those are more important to me than a bunch of really useful specs.....

Auto-focusing lenses will be a problem, but considering that you are using non-Nikon lenses, you'd be expecting to focus manually any way, I gather. I'm not sure why auto-focus is such a necessity to some when it's only in recent times that it's become available.

Cheers
Chris
Old 26-06-2007, 03:04 PM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

its the end result that matters most to me chris, and after comparing both d40 and k100d pics theres just a slight difference and nikon is just ahead.

i hae had a totally manual camera before (a pentax) so i am used to manual focus... it does come with a standard AF lens tho, so untill i get the adapter this lens will do me.

expect someting "for sale" section soon
Old 01-07-2007, 04:03 PM
Ingo

Be aware, none of any companies "sensor cleaning" or "dust removal" actually works. It's just a scheme which is why Nikon hasn't implemented it because it doesn't actually work. It just wastes start up time and scatters the dust around, doesn't remove it.

Anyways, a D40 is kind of a shame on Nikon. It's a very small body, and very comfortable, but the lack of an autofocus motor clearly disappoints me. The noise control at high ISO's will beat a 300D or 350D any day. The D40's sensor is the newest off the line, and one of the best currently out. ISO3200 is very clean...for ISO3200. You can't boost up to 3200 on a 300D or 350D.

There's a reason why NASA only uses Nikon in space.

You may go for the k100d because it is weather proofed, has an autofocus motor, and the Shake Reduction will null out the shutter slap, but noise control isn't going to stand up anywhere near a Nikon or Canon. I actually heard Minolta has better noise control than any of the top brands.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:46 PM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

havnig a ball with the d40 folks