Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Eyepieces, Barlows and Filters

Old 09-04-2016, 08:25 PM
ab1963 (Andrew)
Refractors-That’s It

Pentax XW 10mm (FANTASTIC PRICE)

Just bought a Pentax XW 10mm from Amazon Japan for $325 Aud shipped ,saw a post earlier with a link but it looks like he has removed it,they are on special at the moment nearly 10,000 yen off,i was prepared to pay more than that used so if you want the XW range this is the time to buy

Last edited by ab1963; 10-04-2016 at 03:28 PM.
Old 09-04-2016, 08:26 PM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

That's an awesome price!
Old 09-04-2016, 09:06 PM
ab1963 (Andrew)
Refractors-That’s It

XW 10 and 5mm 25,897 yen,20mm 26,270 yen,7,14mm, 28,490 yen
3.5mm 31,060 yen

These are the prices at the moment but subject to change
Old 09-04-2016, 09:06 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

Brilliant! I see they have very good prices on Nikon NAV SWs and the EiC barlow as well. (I still cannot afford any of that right now though.)
Old 10-04-2016, 08:16 AM
dreamstation (James)

I've got a wanted ad up for a Delos 10mm if anyone grabs one of these and wants to sell their Delos
Old 10-04-2016, 11:17 AM
Mittay (Tim)

Yeh I posted but nobody replied so I deleted since they thought it might be fake since I lurk and dont post.

Had to post it though as they're awesome prices.

I stumbled on it when I realised Japanese prices were slightly better on ebay than everywhere else.

The Japanese also have a multitude of ebay like sites for this sort of thing too. If you ever need a Japanese made telescope part it really pays off to shop around on those sites.

Cheers - Tim
Old 10-04-2016, 12:04 PM
AG Hybrid (Adrian)
A Friendly Nyctophiliac

Those prices are soooooo good I just ordered the Pentax XW 5mm. God damn that's well priced for a new Pentax XW. $327 delivered. Pleased with that.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:50 PM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstation View Post
I've got a wanted ad up for a Delos 10mm if anyone grabs one of these and wants to sell their Delos
Hi James,

I own both Pentax XW's and Televue Delos. Both are excellent with very subtle minor differences. At those prices the Delos doesn't make it to first base and I would be ordering the 10XW in a heartbeat.

Cheers
John B
Old 10-04-2016, 02:42 PM
icytailmark (Mark)

i have this eyepiece its a very heavy eyepiece. I prefer to use the televue 13mm nagler
Old 10-04-2016, 02:49 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Excellent value.

Very heavy?! Nooooooo....a 21mm Ethos is very heavy
Old 10-04-2016, 04:01 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

Yeah, it's big and heavy, but there is no way around the size of a 20mm eye relief, 70-degree AFOV EP. The eye lens of the EP has to be large enough to accommodate those specs (min 28mm in diameter). The XWs can be made smaller by removing the adjustable eye cup.

The Type 6 Naglers are smaller because they have shorter eye relief. I could never get used to it (for other reasons also). It comes down to personal preferences.

I also did find the XWs too bulky and heavy (though I wish I'd not sold the 10mm, and sometimes the 7mm). I like generous eye relief (though 20mm is wee bit overkill), reasonably wide AFOV, as well as smaller lighter (pocket friendly) EPs. Pentax XFs offer the best compromises for my tastes.
Old 10-04-2016, 04:21 PM
ab1963 (Andrew)
Refractors-That’s It

I have the nagler 13 t6 and is a keeper,i love this ep ,would not get the xw 14mm because of the coma issue,the only xw that has this problem so IMO the nagler wins hands down but the others in the line are a different story
Old 10-04-2016, 04:31 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab1963 View Post
I have the nagler 13 t6 and is a keeper,i love this ep ,would not get the xw 14mm because of the coma issue,the only xw that has this problem so IMO the nagler wins hands down but the others in the line are a different story
The XW 14mm has no coma issue. It has field curvature (FC). The difference is that you can refocus and get sharp stars at the edge of the FOV. With coma that would be impossible. With FC stars just look a bit out of focus at the edge of field (if your focus is on the centre); they don't have the coma characteristic "seagull" wings that is a lot uglier. You can also focus half way between centre and edge and your eye might be able to accommodate the difference (also impossible with coma). I agree with you about the 13mm T6 Nagler. It's the pick of the T6 lineup.
Old 10-04-2016, 04:55 PM
ab1963 (Andrew)
Refractors-That’s It

that is what i meant ,thanks for the correction
Old 10-04-2016, 05:31 PM
dreamstation (James)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausastronomer View Post
Hi James,

I own both Pentax XW's and Televue Delos. Both are excellent with very subtle minor differences. At those prices the Delos doesn't make it to first base and I would be ordering the 10XW in a heartbeat.

Cheers
John B
Hey John. Thanks for the recommendation. I was contemplating going with the Pentax at that price but I have a 6mm Delos that I absolutely adore (when I'm able to use it that is) so I figured I'd stick with what I know.

I'm not interested in paying Bintel's price for one though so I'm happy to wait for a second hand one to come up, even if it's a little more than what we can get the Pentax for right now.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:02 PM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstation View Post
Hey John. Thanks for the recommendation. I was contemplating going with the Pentax at that price but I have a 6mm Delos that I absolutely adore (when I'm able to use it that is) so I figured I'd stick with what I know.
Hi James,

I own a 6mm Delos and a 7mm Pentax XW. I have spent many hours comparing them in different scopes on different targets. They are both excellent eyepieces, however, if I could only keep one of them it would unquestionably be the 7mm Pentax XW. In an ~F5 newtonian the 7mm Pentax XW has clearly superior EOF performance. It also has less internal reflection and light scatter. It is also more comfortable to use, but that is subjective from one observer to the next. While the lock ring eye guide adjustment on the Delos is way better than the "instadrop" system used on the T4 Naglers and Radians, it is still inferior to the system used on the XW's IMO.

Cheers
John B
Old 10-04-2016, 10:37 PM
inertia8 (Australia)

I have a 7mm and 10mm, they will be staying with me until my eyes cannot use them!

Wondering whether to procure a 5mm or 3.5mm at those prices when I can barlow my existing XW's. I don't tend to zoom in so heavily much and have a Vixen 4mm for that, though it's only got a tiny fov.
Old 11-04-2016, 02:07 PM
dreamstation (James)

Quote:
Hi James,

Cheers
John B
Quote:
Hi James,

I own a 6mm Delos and a 7mm Pentax XW. I have spent many hours comparing them in different scopes on different targets. They are both excellent eyepieces, however, if I could only keep one of them it would unquestionably be the 7mm Pentax XW.

Cheers
John B

Hey John

You will be pleased to know that I have just placed an order for both the 7mm and 10mm Pentax XW. You and the other members in this thread have been very convincing Also, thanks to the original poster for bringing this to our attention.

Interested to see firsthand how they perform, especially the 7mm up against the 6mm Delos that I have. Now begins the wait!
Old 12-04-2016, 07:51 AM
inertia8 (Australia)

Congrats, I have almost convinced myself to get either a 3.5mm or 5mm, but cannot decide which one to get and I have just about reasoned with myself that I don't use my Vixen 4mm (42deg fov) enough as is and that barlowing the 10mm and 7mm will suffice and that a Denk 14mm would be a better buy for my purposes (Love XW but don't have a paracor and I use a 10" Dob) .

I still recall when I first put the 10mm in and looked at the moon, which was at about 60% waxing, and simply marveling at the additional clarity of detail.

Last edited by inertia8; 12-04-2016 at 08:49 AM.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:08 AM
ab1963 (Andrew)
Refractors-That’s It

I agree with the Denk 14mm over the Pentax,I bought the 13 t6 nagler for the same reason and it does a fantastic job