Old 14-01-2018, 12:59 PM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

California Nebula

This is a large nebula, which stretched over 2 telescope fields at low power. The nebula of course is huge, some 100 lightyears across and only 1800 lightyears away.

I viewed it last night with my Vixen 140mm (SS) scope, using a 24mm Panoptic EP (33x). It was easy to find since it was located conveniently near Xi Perseus.

The nebula is somewhat like a bent rectangle in shape. It could be seen reasonably well with the 140mm scope. A dark lane was seen on the eastern side.

I viewed it the previous night with my Tak 100D scope and a 30mm Plossl EP. I could only just see parts of the nebula, of which the western side looked thicker and easier to see. It was quite marginal and most laypeople would have seen nothing, but a layperson would have been able to see it with the 140mm scope.

More information:

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap160112.html
http://www.atlasoftheuniverse.com/nebulae/ngc1499.html
https://oneminuteastronomer.com/1141/california-nebula/
Old 14-01-2018, 01:31 PM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)
I can see clearly now ...

Enjoyed your report, thank you Bob. Good to see the Vixen getting a workout.
The California Nebula is out of bounds for me at only 9 degrees above the northern horizon at culmination which is at at approx 9.30pm at the moment. It is still quite light here at 9.30!
Old 14-01-2018, 03:29 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropo-Bob View Post
This is a large nebula, which stretched over 2 telescope fields at low power. The nebula of course is huge, some 100 lightyears across and only 1800 lightyears away.

I viewed it last night with my Vixen 140mm (SS) scope, using a 24mm Panoptic EP (33x). It was easy to find since it was located conveniently near Xi Perseus.

The nebula is somewhat like a bent rectangle in shape. It could be seen reasonably well with the 140mm scope. A dark lane was seen on the eastern side.

I viewed it the previous night with my Tak 100D scope and a 30mm Plossl EP. I could only just see parts of the nebula, of which the western side looked thicker and easier to see. It was quite marginal and most laypeople would have seen nothing, but a layperson would have been able to see it with the 140mm scope.

More information:

Another nice report Bob ..we never get enough of these types of reports.. so as to let others know what to expect from different apertures..and the big Vixen, a lovely scope for this , with its wide flat field , from all accounts.

bigjoe.
Old 14-01-2018, 03:30 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:

More information:

Another nice report Bob ..we never get enough of these types of reports.. so as to let others know what to expect from different apertures..and the big Vixen, a lovely scope for this , with its wide flat field , from all accounts.
PS:They say you can spot this naked eye, from dark sites North of Equator.

bigjoe.
Old 14-01-2018, 06:32 PM
skysurfer
Dark sky rules !

California Nebula VISUAL ?
Is that possible ?
It is a very faint nebula and I always thought it is photographic only.
Last week I tried to capture it, but powerbank for powering the tracking motor was flat.

Next challenge: Elephants Trunk IC1396 (even fainter) ?

Or the Barnards Loop / Rho Ophiuchi nebula / Horsehead ?

These objects are all photo only.
Old 14-01-2018, 07:05 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysurfer View Post
Is that possible ?
Last week I tried to capture it, but powerbank for powering the tracking motor was flat.

Was surprised myself ..people saying they have seen it naked eye ..its integrated mag is 6..but its spread over 4 times the area of the Full Moon.
Who knows..never seen it that way myself .
bigjoe.
Old 14-01-2018, 07:29 PM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

Quote:
Is that possible ?

I have never seen the Horsehead, even though some others looking the same 12" Dob said they could. So yeah, believe me, I am not given to making exaggerated claims. I thought the Rosette was more difficult to see than the Californian.
Old 14-01-2018, 09:08 PM
skysurfer
Dark sky rules !

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
Was surprised myself ..people saying they have seen it naked eye ..its integrated mag is 6..but its spread over 4 times the area of the Full Moon.
Who knows..never seen it that way myself .
bigjoe.
Well, during my upcoming Australia trip next month I'll give it a try when in a dark location in NSW. Here in Holland the sky is too light polluted.
Old 14-01-2018, 09:33 PM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)
I can see clearly now ...

Mirko(N1) in NZ reported his observations of the Horsehead with an 8” dob in his 2nd Feb 2016 post. See his thread: http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=141218
He described seeing a “notch” only without any shape.
I have seen IC 434 but have not seen the notch that Mirko refers to. It is on my list to try again when the heavens align - altitude, dark skies, very good seeing ....! I am being incredibly patient with this one!

Quote:
I have never seen the Horsehead, even though some others looking the same 12" Dob said they could. So yeah, believe me, I am not given to making exaggerated claims. I thought the Rosette was more difficult to see than the Californian.
Old 14-01-2018, 11:27 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Bob...
I personally take your reports with full trust and enthusiasm, knowing that you have previously, been meticulous , and correct in your reporting.
bigjoe.

Last edited by bigjoe; 14-01-2018 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Add
Old 15-01-2018, 09:26 AM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

Quote:
Well, during my upcoming Australia trip next month I'll give it a try when in a dark location in NSW. Here in Holland the sky is too light polluted.
I hope U have a good trip. I suspect it will be difficult from NSW. The Nebula may be lower in a month's time and NSW has a longer trilight than my location, which is only 17 degrees South.
Old 15-01-2018, 09:27 AM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
Bob...
I personally take your reports with full trust and enthusiasm, knowing that you have previously, been meticulous , and correct in your reporting.
bigjoe.
Thanks Joe, I appreciate your comments!
Old 15-01-2018, 09:31 AM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinderboxsky View Post
Mirko(N1) in NZ reported his observations of the Horsehead with an 8” dob in his 2nd Feb 2016 post. See his thread: http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=141218
He described seeing a “notch” only without any shape.
I have seen IC 434 but have not seen the notch that Mirko refers to. It is on my list to try again when the heavens align - altitude, dark skies, very good seeing ....! I am being incredibly patient with this one!
Interesting Steve. I think I have only once seen IC434 and that was my ex-12" Dob. I thought that was going to be the night, but alas, after careful investigation, I did not see it.

However, I have seen reports that some have see it with only a 4" scope.

I guess we will just have to keep trying!