Old 25-05-2018, 07:38 AM
JA

Chill .....
Old 25-05-2018, 08:45 AM
casstony

The first night of the show was very ordinary but I found the next two nights quite entertaining. I bet they all had a go in the vest attached to the helium balloons; I need one of those for when my hips get sore.
Old 25-05-2018, 09:14 AM
Retrograde (Pete)
a.k.a. @AstroscapePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA View Post
On the subject of the ABC's budget it's about $1.1 Billion, or about 0.1% of Australia's GDP. A budget cut (or funding freeze) of $80 Million is insignificant in the sense that they should be able to reorganise, redeploy or cut waste, otherwise really ......?

Notwithstanding the ABC's contribution to science and technology programming, I'm sure many would be able to think of worthy community uses for $80 Million.

Best
JA
Except that $80 million comes on the back of a $254 million cut back in 2014 (despite a certain ex-PM promising "no cuts to the ABC" before the election).

The ABC has also shed 1012 jobs in that time: https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/may/24/abc-has-shed-1012-jobs-since-2014-senate-estimates-told

I think this years Stargazing Live ran a lot smoother than it did last year. Hopefully it will be a a regular event and will continue to improve.
Old 25-05-2018, 11:41 AM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by theodog View Post
Cheers Peter

Look up, you have played a small role in popularising Astronomy like the rest of us. Let others have their go. It's not all 5128 and 5139.

Wouldn't know, having never lived in the 'Burbs' of Sydney.
Don’t get me wrong...more power to the ABC for popularising Astronomy.

There should be far, far more of it IMHO...but the key to that is doing it well, then, maybe, just maybe, it might become regular programming.

As a side issue, I supplied most of the equipment for a school observatory not that long ago. It’s a great facility with a 20” RC....not cheap, but I was agog to discover same school spent 28x more (we are talking many $millions) on a....wait for it...gymnasium. Comparted to sport in Australia, it seems Astronomy/Science/Tech is only a passing interest.
Old 25-05-2018, 12:05 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Perth stadium cost was only $1.6b. The engineer in the morning news today proudly said it had over 60000 lamps and a very small carbon foot print. The cost is justified because apparently it's providing a great community service, to get people together doing something they enjoy, like back in the roman arenas I guess. Keep the plebes entertained, don't educate them. You wouldn't want smart voters now would you?
Old 25-05-2018, 12:35 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Keep the plebes entertained, don't educate them. You wouldn't want smart voters now would you?
Yep...that’s the thing about “democracy” a vote based on knowledge and insight is just a valid as one based on ignorance and stupidity. (I can’t lay claim to that...I think Assimov first made that observation).
Old 25-05-2018, 12:57 PM
theodog (Jeff)
Every photon is sacred !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
Don’t get me wrong...more power to the ABC for popularising Astronomy.
In that we're on the same page.
There was nothing really-really wrong with what they did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
As a side issue, I supplied most of the equipment for a school observatory not that long ago. It’s a great facility with a 20” RC....not cheap, but I was agog to discover same school spent 28x more (we are talking many $millions) on a....wait for it...gymnasium. Comparted to sport in Australia, it seems Astronomy/Science/Tech is only a passing interest.
That's great that they could afford that. Our school needed community help to buy a second-hand 11" for the faculty, I know of many other schools still struggling with the 4' Tasco from the 70's. The "oohs" and "ahhs" from students and community that look through it, to me make it gold.
Yet 3 of my Physics students appeared on "Stargazing" having imaged M83.
Negative criticism of the TV show and the activities, is an attack on all those involved from the AAT/ANU staff, through all those (from my teaching staff, students and community) who volunteered their time and efforts to promote our hobby without personal gain.

Maybe these shows might help the Education dept's bean counters throughout the country prioritise STEM for our (all) kids.

Thank you Peter for giving me the chance to recognise those who made a positive contribution to promoting amateur astronomy.

And I by no means imply that you haven't done this.