Old 13-05-2012, 07:12 PM
matt42s (Matt)

Argon in the tube?

Has anyone ever tried filling their open tube with Argon? My RC8 is fairly airtight at the back end, with only a few gaps around the focuser. If I trickled argon into the tube, it should initially displace the humid Sydney air. Does anyone know how long it would take to become damp argon? or might it be a good solution to dew on my sensor?
Old 17-05-2012, 11:58 PM
Danack (Dan Ackroyd)

I'm not sure if what you're trying to do could work, but Carbon Dioxide is denser, so more likely to stick around, cheaper and probably easier to get hold of.
Old 18-05-2012, 07:55 AM
jenchris (Jennifer)

The surface between the argon and the air will be like the surf on Bondi and will reduce your seeing by about 2 points.
Old 21-05-2012, 07:49 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Dry Nitrogen maybe, available through some tyre suppliers for high performance vehicles tyres rather than air.
Yeah, I know, air is 78% Nitrogen anyway but dry and no oxygen is the supposed benefit in racing tyres so they say. It would be minimal 'boiling' at the interface but temp difference may be a problem.
Old 21-05-2012, 09:11 AM
mplanet62 (Michael)

Dry nitrogen is the way. Argon will get out fast - it's lighter than air and floats up. Carbon dioxide is corrosive in combination with water vapor (omnipresent). I do not know your telescope design, but if the tube opens to atmosphere even briefly all exercise would have no use.
Correction: Argon is heavier than air -my bad. Does not change the situation to better, though...

Last edited by mplanet62; 21-05-2012 at 09:43 AM.