Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 09-07-2017, 07:52 AM
Astroman (Andrew Wall)
<><><><>

Tokina AT-X 116 PRO DX-II 11-16mm f/2.8 Lens for Canon

Hi all,

I am thinking of purchasing a Tokina AT-X 116 PRO DX-II 11-16mm f/2.8 Lens for Canon, for widefield Astrophotography as well as other photography projects I am thinking about doing with an Ultra Wide angle lens.

For those that have used them, what do you think of them?, how well do they perform? etc...

I am also looking for a good place, in Australia to buy one from, so if you have any suggestions that would be good. I would also consider second hand, as long as it is in good order.

Is there any other lens on the market that is just as wide that performs just as well under the night sky? I only know of the Canon 10-22mm but that does not go down to f2.8.

I am not sure when I'll be able to get the lens, I am still working on finances, but at a guess it would be around next month.

Any help appreciated..

Thanks

Old 09-07-2017, 08:23 PM
Mickoid (Michael)

I own one of these lenses, and they work fine during the day but don't expect to get good results at f2.8 at night. There is significant coma toward the edges which means a fair bit of the wide angle has to be cropped to leave round stars. I've used it stopped down to f5.6 and the results are better but coma still exists at the extremities. Personally, I wouldn't buy one for astro photography unless you are prepared to increase your exposure and use larger f stops to eliminate the aberrations. They certainly give wide fields but are not suitable for a full frame DSLR as the image they produce just covers a cropped sensor. Don't know about the Canon 10-22mm, it may perform better.
Old 10-07-2017, 05:14 AM
SteveInNZ

I've heard a few similar comments about the Mk2 version. I have a Mk1 and love it. Just a tiny bit of coma and CA in the corners wide open at 11mm, otherwise great. I don't know if it's a Mk1 vs Mk2 thing or if it varies between individual copies.

Steve.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:12 PM
Astroman (Andrew Wall)
<><><><>

Thanks for the info guys, will take it on board. May look at the Canon 10-22mm also..