Old 15-07-2010, 07:56 AM
orestis

Obs Notes and sketch 14/7/10

Hi everyone,

Its been so cloudy lately and when you get a clear night you have to take advantage of it even though it my be terribly cold and very very windy,but lucky for me i was observing behind a wall so the wind didn't hit me.

Ngc 6231(false comet cluster)- I had seen this cluster the other day before clouds came rolling in and after that i was hooked to this open cluster.So i decided to sketch this magnifacent cluster and so i did but i think i can do much better on it and am just posting my progress so far.This cluster is a real gem with many bright stars framing the cluster and some fainter stars but what really caught my attention is that i could see a sort of background haze of granularity behing the framework of stars.I'm not sure if this unresovable haze of granularity was in the cluster or behind it for me it gave the impression of being far behind it giving a sort of 3d effect,pretty cool.i hadn't finished the sketch but decided to go observe some other objects around the area.

M20(trifid nebula)-This was the first time i had observed this cluster and it was a very cool object to observe.It was quite easy to find with it being a bit off the lagoon.In my 130mm reflector it was faint but still observable.There was 2 middle stars which were quite close to each other at 90x magnification.I saw one dark lane to the south and then one every approximate third so there was three dark lanes as the name suggests.i think i could also see the reflection neb to the north-east surrounding a fairly bright star.This is definately on my list of must do sketch.

It was starting to get too cold so i packed it all up and called a night.

Thanks for reading and looking at my sketch
Regards Orestis
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (ngc 6231.jpg)
66.4 KB42 views
Old 15-07-2010, 11:30 AM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Hi Orestis, another great sketch. NGC 6231 is indeed a beautiful bit of sky - looking forward to the sketch.
Old 15-07-2010, 04:17 PM
Liz

Yes Orestis, the clouds have been VERY annoying, so lucky you had a little break, and viewed a couple of beauties!!!
Old 15-07-2010, 08:16 PM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

Orestis, I so enjoy reading your ob. reports and seeing your beautiful sketches. Well done!
Old 16-07-2010, 10:23 AM
orestis

Thanks for the comments,

clear skies to all,
Orestis